Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rib recipe?

Options
RLA
RLA Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Am planning on doing ribs....want to impress my son and his fiancee.
Which recipe should I use? What are the cooking times? With aluminum foil or without? I have previously done jj's rub with mustard coating, over indirect heat for the entire time. Now Im hearing that foil usage is needed, using both direct and indirect?? Does it make a difference if one places the ribs flat on the cooking surface or, uses a rib rack where they stand on end?? (but it fits a lot more ribs per surface area). FINALLY>..does one recipe fit spare ribs better and another suit babybacks better? Does it matter?
RLA

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    RLA,[p]One rib is not all things to all people. Some like direct ribs for 3.5-4 hrs at 220deg and some like indirect at 325-350 for 5 hrs and some liek the 3-1-1.5 method that has a little of the first two and some foil. You really need to try all three to decide what you like best. You won't find much concensus on which method is the best - they are all great and they all yeild different ribs. Check my link and site for a cookbook of methods to do ribs.[p]The baby backs are my favorites and they take about 30-45 min less to cook on average. I like to check meat temps between the bone to test for doneness. Anything over 180 is good and 190 is really good.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's cookbook site and stuff[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RLA, yup, uhuh, and you betcha...

Your gonna get a ton of answer's and lots of e.mails..so I will stand back and let the ribs fly and enjoy the cooks.
    Somewhere you will find a winner..It reminds me of the New York Times article that was posted here by RhumandJerk or ? some time back and it was a expose on the southern BBQ resturaunts. Each one claimed a superior sauce, technique, and history to the BBQ. It was a fun post/article and a rather in depth history lesson on the Carolina's BBQ.
    Back to your question..take a trip to JJ's house, GFW's house, TimM's house and a few others..Good eats all around.
    Good luck and happy eating..!
    Char-Woody.[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RLA,
    Foil is not necessary, but the 3-2-1 method makes some great ribs though. Depends what you like. The foil method results in a more moist and falling apart rib. Yet foil is far from being "needed". [p]JJ's direct style (225-250 for 3.5 - -4.5 hours) makes a great rib. I have found that version to be more smoky, slightly less moist, but tender, very nice crust and tasty pull-cleanly-frm the bone results. I love doing them this way. [p]I also like to cook them indirect, with no foil, at 250-300 for 5-6 hours for spares. This is my personal favorite. Very moist. Pull-cleanly-frm the bone. And if you like to sauce them (as I do), you can sauce for the final hour, and they will caramelize nicely while remaining indirect. If you like them crustier, finish with the sauce for the last 30 minutes direct.[p]The 3-2-1 method I did again last weekend, and the ribs were fabulous. A different texture, but very tender and juicy. This method is a sure-fire way to great ribs.[p]I love all of the methods, and like to vary them. Do what you feel comfortable with if you are trying to impress. And soon you will find your favorite...or favorites![p]I prefer to lay the ribs flat unless I need a rib rack for space reasons. I just find them easier to handle that way.[p]If you are looking for a tasty rib recipe, I posted my Ginger Mahogany recipe last year. It takes a bit of prep time, but they are my favorite. It is under "new recipes" still. Recipes for babybacks and spares work similarly. Just reduce the time a bit for babybacks.[p]Happy ribbing. They sure are good.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    08_04_0018_21_02.jpg
    <p />RLA, the best method for ribs is the one that gets the best results for you! I prefer baby backs over spares, but that's just my personal choice. My choice on the method is the 3/1/1.5 and the rib rub recipe is Memphis Style - check out the link for both. [p]Whatever method and recipe, Good Luck! :~}

[ul][li]Memphis Style[/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    View?u=1386188&a=10352365&p=34908559
    <p />RLA, You have gotten great advice. Just like I did when I bought my first egg. My first rib cook was not nearly as good as what I'm doing now but still it was better than I had ever done before. If that makes sense. I prefer babybacks over spare BUT when spares are on sale during the holidays it's hard to pass them up, specially when you're going to have to start cooking for a whole bunch when they find out about the BGE. You'll soon learn to adapt to your time needs and individual techinques and come out with great results.[p]Good Luck,[p]CWM