Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite BGE tips

Options

Comments

• Bruce,[p]LOL........I'll never forget when I just wore socks.....boy did that little piece of charcoal hurt...... while my 15 yr old son is laughing watching me hopping around trying to get the sock off ........[p]Howard

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    RittmanRod,[p] Fill First.. better yet fill and start with torch

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Reminds me of "You know you're an Egghead when...."
    I get nervous when I'm down to three or four bags.
    It gets worse with age.
    Am I an addict?
    JCA

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    TRex,
    Along with the torch should be safety glasses, I've lost two shirts already but better that than an eye. -RP

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    In the winter I often use a hair dryer to get my mini cranking, smokeydrew.

• Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    J Appledog,
    this is a most excellent thread!
    i've learned so much from ya'll...[p]here's couple transport tips i learned from the forum:
    brace fire box and fire ring in egg with folded cardboard strips, place bag of lump in egg to hold everything down and keep from bouncing, remove dual function top and thermometer to keep from rattling about.[p]carry the egg (with fire box, grate, and fire ring removed) by using the bottom draft opening has a "handle" and placing other arm around egg just under hinge.
    carry it like a baby. [p]remove egg mates because if you don't, you'll bash one into the rv shower and chip the wood!

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    LOG,[p]
    I pretty much qualify as an old married guy, 29 years give or take, and my wife loves the food I'm making on the Egg. Nevertheless, it still gets kind of uncomfortable if I'm 2 hour overdue. And, it gets worse when the kids are around asking, "is it done yet?" I have to tell them, "Do you want good, or do you want Eggcellent?" They miss the pun :([p]gdenby

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Drink beer! Great thread Julie. -RP

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    J Appledog,
    My first tip is to take your time. Sure, we can cook fast but its good for the chef to slow down and enjoy the moment. Allow time for good times to happen. My other tip is to cook low-n-slow at 250 dome with an established fire. 250 is a good benchmark for some great BBQ.

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    Plan B is easy. Just take them out to eat somewhere, anywhere in fact!

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    J Appledog,
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned placing a pillow behind the egg so when you open the lid your brand new ceramic top won't break when it hits the ground.

• ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    Options
    Howard,
    This caused me to look at my nest wheels... sure 'nuff, three were loose to the point the wheels weren't bent in a funny direction - thanks for this tip - I tightened and was surprised at how loose they had become. I had not noticed.

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Everyone has come up with such great tips.... hopefully these will help too..[p]•Start a "BGE Accessory fund" with all your loose change. You will want to buy something for your egg every time you go out to the store.[p]•Don't walk away from your egg for too long when you start it with the vents wide open.... you don't want to fry your gasket when it gets up to nuke temps.[p]•Throw away your instruction manual and read the Naked Whiz and Wess B's websites instead.
    -Jill

• mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Options
    Howard,[p]Funny you mention this... I noticed a nut and bolt laying around by my egg the other day... the center bolt on the bottom of the nest was out... took me 30 minutes to figure out where it came from![p]-Jill
  • hayhonker
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Wow that's a lot of tips. It's probably been mentioned but let the lump burn off for 15-20 minutes before adding food to prevent a nasty charcoal flavor.[p]And remember, most things that can be made in an oven, can be made better in the egg at same time and temp!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    ChuckGGa, this is a tip on a tip. Once you have tightened those nuts buy another set of stainles steel nuts and run them up tight against the first ones. That's called "double nutting" and will hold both nuts tight from now on. While you're at it do the same thing with your hinge bolts!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    Options
    RRP,
    Makes good sense... there is room to do it - I may actually have some extra nuts in the garage that will fit. Thanks for the tip.

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, Yepper, I got mine before they were advertised. My MOST used tool of them all.

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    RittmanRod,
    When I am going lo/slo I chimney a small amount and put on top.[p]For nuke I chimney a bunch put in in, then more on top.[p]hth[p]Big T

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Someone (Whiz?) ought to start a Wiki to capture this information.[p]Toy Man
  • El Jefe
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]I've started a "Living Cookbook" cookbook of these recipes. If anyone is intersted, I can host the file for download.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    J Appledog,
    I just checked in to see how the thread is going and it appears there have been many hints and experiences shared. That is great and as has been suggested hopefully they will be saved for future cross reference. Already these can be catagorized and IMO I think we could seek out other areas such as unique tools or eggcessories or helpful hints as well...what do you think?...afterall you started this thunder!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Options
    Allright J Appledog,[p]I'm a primitave BGE...er.....so I don't use any fancy smancy guru or welding torches or the like or such. I still light my egg in an old fashioned chimney from my Weber days...and this is my trick to good Egg cookin...spank me if I'm wrong....but one chimney is good for a rack or two of ribs and two for a butt.....I'm sure I'll get some flack or feedback from this but ...hey that is the diva's good ol egg trick! The Egg does the work......you don't need to add any fancy smancy gadgets to it...but if you like the technology and have money to burn....hey go for it![p]Regards,[p]thediva

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    hayhonker,[p]And the corollary to that last one:[p]Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. While most things that can be made in the oven can also be made in the Egg, sometimes there is absolutely no point in proving that point. Get some perspective!
  • RittmanRod
    Options
    BigT,[p]Thanks I suspected but wasn't sure, Thanks!
  • Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Thermometers. Thermopen, Maverick, BBQ Guru, etc. Get an assortment and use them. This has improved my food more than anything. No more guessing if the pork, chicken, turkey, casserole, etc. is done and not overdone.
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Why1504,
    I use thermometers & cook to temp...not to time. I have several setting around & all over the products. You can't measure too much.[p]It stems from flying jets when you were always checking guages to ensure that that single burner was performing correctly. Nothing worse that a "hot start" above 900 degrees to damage the blades or a flame out.[p]I sit by the BGE & watch, listen & smell the burn.[p]

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Why1504,
    1. Buy a Billy Bar -- best thing going to clean a grill.
    2. Don't forget to recheck the bolts in the metal bands for the lid after the first couple of cooks.
    3. Favorite grill toy is to use a "woo ring" to be able to cook on an elevated grill at almost the level of the lid. See Sandbagger about the woo ring or look at other solutions in the forum.
    4. In a pinch use a piece of shopping bag or newspaper wadded-up, about 1" in diameter, and soaked in cooking oil to start your fire.

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    El Jefe,when you get it set up let me know. grs