Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All hail Mad Max, King of.....

Options
mojopin
mojopin Posts: 200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
the Hanger Steak![p]OMG I have died and gone to heaven. We marinated our hangers in Dave's Soyabi.... dusted with Cowlick.... grilled to perfection of approx 135°, let it rest and ate it with grilled onions and portabellas and scalloped potatoes. I think my friends may never leave this time. I need a bigger house with more spare bedrooms. They are bowing down to me, but I told them it was all you Mad Max! [p]We bought 13+ lbs today (food saved most of it), cooked up two pieces & devoured it, I think they were actually licking up the juices as well. We didn't even need to Jaccard it (couldn't find one at the local stores) Soyabi kicks ass. You have to try it. I'll bring some to Waldorf with some Hanger Steaks for the after party! I don't think I'll ever order a steak at a restaurant again. [p]Thank you, thank you, thank you,
-Jill

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    mojopin,
    glad you were able to find them. ..they are certainly our favorite steak. ..once a month i have to go into DC for a meeting, and i always stop buy the butcher and grab a few. .. now i just need to find this soyabi sauce stuff ....

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Hey, Max . . . had the kids home tonight to celebrate their mom's birthday. While the daughter (down from NYC) and her mom ate lunch at a Japanese restaurant in DC, I got to stop in at Union -- asked the guy (older and short - didn't catch his name) whether I should serve hangers or flat irons for dinner. He said the flat irons were more tender and had more flavor so I bought two (1.5 lbs each.) Ended up only serving one. To my chagrin, found I had only a tiny amount of Red Eye Express left so used it up on one side and spread Cowlick on the other. Did it at high temp on the medium Egg while doing the sides on the large. My son, who drove all the way from Bethesda (at least two miles!) said it was better than just using Red Eye as I'd done in the past. Actually I agreed, but it may have been the cheap French wine that made it seem that way! [p][p]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Haggis,
    short grey haired guy is "bill". .. guy i regularly deal with is tall guy with pony tail "roy". . .i always see those flat iron steaks there as well. .. guess i need to give one of those a try as well.. .. also, don't know if you ever notice, but they typically have some of the prices around on "prime" prime rib (less than 12 bucks a pound. .. thats where i bought the one featured on the naked whiz's site. ...good stuff .. .

• Haggis
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]The flat irons at Union were $7.99 per pound and the hangers were $5.99. On the other hand, the flatirons at the meat counter down to the left of Union had them for two bucks less a pound. I have no idea if there is a difference in quality but I have to wonder why Union always recommends the flat irons . . . :)
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Haggis,
    probably, like most butchers, cause they know the secret of the hanger steak and want to take them home with them :-)[p]also, if you don't know what you're doing and you end up serving that hunk of gristle that runs down the middle of the hanger steak to someone, its probably not a good thing ...[p]and they aren't as uniform and pretty looking as those flatirons....[p]just a few thoughts....roy and i have had a lot of discussions regarding prep of the hanger steaks, and more important, slicing them properly, which i'll admit, i didn't use to do till he set me straight. . .then i had one of those homer simpson "doh" moments. ...

• Haggis
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]All good points! I seem to recall that gristle in the one hanger I did. [p]The flat iron we had last night was definitely easy to serve sliced, had nice marbling for such a thin piece of meat, and had no inedible parts - there was literally nothing left except the blood on the platter.