Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sam's Meat and Seafood Dept. $6,000,000 Renovation

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited April 2018 in EggHead Forum
Was going to switch to a new Costo opening soon, as all I buy at these stores is meat and gas, and Nathan's hot dogs...but it's good to see some pork that looks like beef, and wagyu.  That big a$$ tomahawk on the bottom almost came home.  Not bad for Sam's, looking forward to a revisit....

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Focker said:
    Was going to switch to a new Costo opening soon, as all I buy at these stores is meat and gas, and Nathan's hot dogs...but it's good to see some pork that looks like beef, and wagyu.  That big a$$ tomahawk on the bottom almost came home.  Not bad for Sam's, looking forward to a revisit....

That looks phenomenal! Did you check on the briskets??? Just wondering. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The Berkshire thick cut chops look great. Let us know if you get a chance to try them.
    Never understood the hype about Cowboy Cut. Just paying more per pound for a bone. And the Strip Steaks look closer prime at $35 a pound. 
    Hope they up grade a few of the Sam's Clubs around here.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    We've been members of Sam's and Costco for many years now.  We began noticing a couple years back that Sam's was stepping up their meat game. Really glad to have the option of going to Sam's because it's never crowded. They really need to work on their customer service at our Sam's though.  The employees aren't near the caliber of our Costco employees.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I'm hope this happens to my local Sams Club.

Were they carrying Prime at all?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Looks great.  I'll have to get back in mine and see what's going on.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Berkshire chops look great, can't wait til Sioux City does theirs!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Focker
    Options
    Focker said:

Lmfao!

Yep, came home with a prime packer.
    Trimmed her up, ready to roll smoke in my new trash can smoker.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    The Berkshire thick cut chops look great. Let us know if you get a chance to try them.
    Never understood the hype about Cowboy Cut. Just paying more per pound for a bone. And the Strip Steaks look closer prime at $35 a pound. 
    Hope they up grade a few of the Sam's Clubs around here.
    $9/lb seems to be the going rate here for choice ribeye.  I just loved the marbling on that one.

I'll maybe try the wagyu blend, just to say I tried.

I'm more interested in the pork all around.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

Lmfao!

Yep, came home with a prime packer.
    Trimmed her up, ready to roll smoke in my new trash can smoker.

Really, all that trimming came from that 15 pound packer!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    If you go through them and try to find the ones that bend, you might get one that's as low as about 1/3 fat.  Then it cooks down by about half.  I figure that whatever it weighs, I'm going to end up with 35-45% of meat at the end.  Thus, 12# packer brisket = approx 5# of meat ~$10/#.  It's usually a 50% loss on pork butt......so a little under $5/#.
  • Focker
    edited April 2018
    Options
    So I met a buddy who wanted to check it out, and I went back to do more sniffin'.
    Pan down, we've got Prime.  $10.48/lb!

The fifth one up came home.
    And so did #3, 4, and 5 up on the Berkshire chops posted earlier.
    Lady at the meat counter was super nice.  Gave me 6 wrapped samples of grass fed strip for free.  She said the day before the sell date expires, she throws them away! :(
    She said she would help me out if she had anything when I came in.  Split the samples with my buddy and put them in our pockets.  

Lambda Lambda Lambda

Refreshed my Mom's vintage Cherise LC 4.5qt tonight with a gold knob so temp is no concern.  Also put one on the brand new 9qt to match hers.  Timing is perfect, as Osso Bucco will now be the first cook.

They also had the Chitown Maxwell Street Bobak's for $7.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Focker said:

What ya got aging there?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Focker
    edited April 2018
    Options
    DMW said:
    Focker said:

What ya got aging there?
    That's a 13lb $4.99/lb bone-in PR Easter special.  45 days is May 15th.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DMW
    Options
    Focker said:
    DMW said:
    Focker said:

What ya got aging there?
    That's a 13lb $4.99 bone-in PR Easter special.  45 days is May 15th.
    Yeah buddy
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Some nice developments to this thread.  Kanye is smiling!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Focker
    Options
    DMW said:
    Focker said:
    DMW said:
    Focker said:

What ya got aging there?
    Yeah buddy
    Stupid easy.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DMW
    Options
    Focker said:
    DMW said:
    Focker said:
    DMW said:
    Focker said:

What ya got aging there?
    Yeah buddy
    Stupid easy.
    Sure is, but $4.99/lb bone-in PR, that's a deal.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Focker
    edited April 2018
    Options
    DMW said:
    Focker said:
    DMW said:
    Focker said:
    DMW said:
    Focker said:

What ya got aging there?
    Yeah buddy
    Stupid easy.
    The brisket at Sam's was $5.68/lb tonight. 
    A good laugh.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Seafood was decent.  Whole branzino, rainbow trout was $5/lb.  Blue catfish, halibut.  Not bad for being land locked.  They even had rainbow lobster. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DMW
    Options
    Focker said:
    DMW said:
    Focker said:
    DMW said:
    Focker said:
    DMW said:
    Focker said:

What ya got aging there?
    Yeah buddy
    Stupid easy.
    A good laugh.

Ok, you can get PR for $4.99/lb and brisket is $5.68/lb, I can see why you think brisket is overrated.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Focker
    Options
    DMW said:
    Focker said:
    DMW said:
    Focker said:
    DMW said:
    Focker said:
    DMW said:
    Focker said:

What ya got aging there?
    Yeah buddy
    Stupid easy.
    A good laugh.

Ok, you can get PR for $4.99/lb and brisket is $5.68/lb, I can see why you think brisket is overrated.
    Lol, it's overrated at $1.99/lb.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    @Focker Thank you for let us know Sam's is doing this. It is the only whole store we have here. I hope they uprgrade. @Photo Egg I hear people say buying meat with a bone in it is throwing money away. I love the bone in Ribeye. I will say the tomahawk might fit that opinion. I personally just love a thick bone in Ribeye. The meat around the bone is so good.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Photo Egg
    Options
    six_egg said:
    @Focker Thank you for let us know Sam's is doing this. It is the only whole store we have here. I hope they uprgrade. @Photo Egg I hear people say buying meat with a bone in it is throwing money away. I love the bone in Ribeye. I will say the tomahawk might fit that opinion. I personally just love a thick bone in Ribeye. The meat around the bone is so good.
    I hear you. I love a bone in ribeye as well.
    My beef is paying for an extra 6" of naked bone and calling it Cowboy Cut. It is brilliant marketing on the sellers side, costs more for the buyer and adds nothing to the taste of the steak. But if you have a dog I bet it's a great treat.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    There was a Sam's in the area the closed, but mine has just finished renovation.  I can vouch for the Berkshire Pork Tenderloin.  Very tasty and much better than the cryovac'd stuff.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    I wait until the put a orange sticker on it to reduce for out of date sale. I got a tomahawk yesterday for about $6.50 a LB
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    I can only hope my local Sams in northern Il upgrades.... I am envious of your meat selection.   Looking forward to photos of your cooks @Focker.
    IL 
  • Focker
    Options
    Free chunks were hit with some Cow Lick and tossed on the cooktop griddle. 

Not the best showing for multiple reasons, but QC passed.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Back again, and they have a couple of different offerings not there prior.  $11.48 for prime ribeye.

The Berkshire tenderloins will be revisited, as they weren't there prior.

Guess the local meat market owner came in and asked the counter how the prices for prime were so cheap.  He left baffled.  I thought the first strips were marked with the wrong price.  I was wrong.  This is crazy......awesome.

My turn to pay for the membership this year that's expiring.  Had to make an executive decision for my brother, we just renewed.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Focker said:
    Back again, and they have a couple of different offerings not there prior.  $11.48 for prime ribeye.

Guess the local meat market owner came in and asked the counter how the prices for prime were so cheap.  He left baffled.  I thought the first strips were marked with the wrong price.  I was wrong.  This is crazy......awesome.

My turn to pay for the membership this year that's expiring.  Had to make an executive decision for my brother, we just renewed.  
    Looks great. Wonder if they would cut you a deal on a whole side of ribeye? They sell some items cheap to get you in the door.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Focker said:

Looks great. Wonder if they would cut you a deal on a whole side of ribeye? They sell some items cheap to get you in the door.
    I'll ask the lady who gave me the samples.
    I'm not sure if they just get what they get, steak it out and label it?  I know this is new, but prime and wagyu ribeyes weren't there the other day.  Same for the Berkshire tenderloins.  

This is the best thing since stumbling upon the entire La Quercia line while going to take a leak at a Hy Vee grocery store.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities