Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hmmm ... bacon!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any experience trying to smoke bacon with thier BGE?[p]I have found several recipes for curing and smoking bacon for other cookers, but nothing BGE specific.[p]Thank You,
Brandon

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    bacon2.jpg
    <p />Brandon,
    How about Cherry Wood Bacon? It has been so long since I cooked some. Might have to try the next couple days. Indirect at 400 with a drip. Grease will get you a good fire going. Be prepared to deal with a lot of smoke. It is a tough cook.[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    That looks direct. I cook ABTs at 400 indirect, crisping up the bacon nice.[p]Mike

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Car Wash Mike:[p]I render the fat from the bacon in a large 15" covered cast iron skillet at 250º in the oven. I then transfer the limp, raw bacon rendered of much of its fat to the cooker grill and smoke it direct (best for good penetration of smoke) till done. This way much of the problem with fat fueling the fire is reduced. Additionally, the bacon absorbs smoke better with less fat content.
  • djm5x9
    Options
    Brandon:[p]To smoke cured bacon, you want to utilize some sort of indirect method with a pair of ceramic cookers. The best technique would utilize one BGE for a fire source (and smoke) and a second for the receiving end of the smoking process for the bacon. A metal dryer hose would connect the two cookers (chimney of one to lower vent of the second) to perform the smoking operation. You do not want to cook the bacon, just smoke it. The remaining functioning dampers would be used to control the smoking process.[p]Smoked bacon . . . Great with bacon & tomato sammiches . . .
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Brandon,
    I assume you really just mean smoking bacon and not some curing/processing question. For years now I have been smoking and cooking 1 pound of thick bacon at a time and then patting off the grease and stacking the strips individually between strips of wax paper. This then makes a "log" of bacon which I then freeze. I use it one strip at a time to add a taste treat to pizzas and at the same time it adds a minute smoke flavoring. BTW I cut the bacon into tiny pieces so it just becomes an element versus a condiment on the pizza.[p]Process wise I smoke that 1 pound using 3 handfuls of hickory chips and mist the bacon with apple juice before going on and a couple times during the process. I use my plate setter inverted with foil on it to ease grease clean up and then lay the bacon on the grate. At a low 225 degrees it takes about 1 hr 20 min, but each pound seems to have its own cooking traits.[p]BTW besides pizza it is also great in salads and BLTs too.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Brandon,
    Here is a link to a great make your own if you have the time and desire. Thirdeye has a great site and last month I did some Buckboard Bacon that was to die for.

[ul][li]http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/10/buckboard-bacon.html[/ul]
  • djm5x9,[p]> (chimney of one to lower vent of the second)[p]Try chimney to chimney. Easier connection and works just as well.
  • djm5x9
    Options
    Michael B:[p]My experience is that it does not draw as well with a dome to dome connection.

• If the Egg you are smoking in is higher than the one you are building the fire in, there should be no problem with using a dome-to-dome connection. eg: one Egg sitting on the ground and the other in a nest or table. There is a grocery list of food and utensil precautions and preparations necessary for cold smoking pork, which MUST be observed.[p]Hot smoking temps should run between 130*F and 180*F, ultimately bringing the internal temp of the finished bacon to at least 142*F. This process is easily performed in a single Egg.

• djm5x9
    Options
    Michael B:[p]What temperature do you smoke cured bacon?

• djm5x9,[p]How much smoke do you want and how long are you willing to wait to get it?
    Lower temps = longer cook and more smoke.
    Higher temp = shorter cook and less smoke.[p]Generally, I’d say between 200*F and 220*F. FDA guidelines say you need to bring the temperature of the bacon to at least 165*F for 15 seconds, so any temp/time combination that will satisfy that requirement would be good. I don’t eat pork, so I can’t attest to the flavor, but my wife and son like bacon cooked at 300* for 25 minutes.

• djm5x9
    Options
    Michael B:[p]This thread is a little confusing. So I have posted the following for clarification, not trying to step on anyone's toes.[p]CWM is actually talking about cooking bacon and smoking per Juggy’s Smoked Bacon.[p]Brandon seems to be speaking of the smoking of cured meats which is an entirely different process. Here are a few links that discuss this process:[p]Cold Smoking #1[p]Cold Smoking #2[p]Makin’ Bacon[p]Unfortunately, some of the referred to links in these articles do not work. It is a shame because these websites offered a wealth of curing information. However, Googling these subjects will provide a wealth of information for those interested in the art of meat processing.