Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs

Options
No pictures yet, I haven't even lit the charcoal so I am in the idea phase. I bought a rack of spare ribs and they will be too long to go in the medium without cutting into two half racks. Since I am going to have to do that, and in the spirit of that earlier thread someone posted, I am considering having dueling varieties. The first will be The Shed's Rack Attack rub and finished with their Sweet and Tangy barbecue sauce. The Shed is a local bbq joint featured on DDD, Guy Fierro's show a few years back. If it works out, that combination will be in the box that I pack for the 2018 Rub and Sauce Exchange. 

The second is more difficult, I am considering using DP Peiking rub. The question is how to sauce them. I have two types of jelly in the house. The first is a Strawberry Tequila variety that I made a couple of months ago. The second is Crofter's Superfruit Spread containing: black currents, pomegranates, Morello cherries and red grapes. I could thin either out with a little vinegar or water and a few seconds in the microwave. A third choice is a bottle of Lingham's Hot Sauce That I received in last years exchange. It is from Malaysia and is a hot sauce with sugar, chiles, salt, and vinegar. No hurry on replies as it looks like it is getting late in order to have it tonight. 

This will be the first time that I have cooked ribs in many years but nothing else jumped out and said "Buy Me" in the meat department.

Comments

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    Ive only done dry ribs ribs so far so no advice on the saucing but on the dueling ribs be sure to keep track of them from start to finish my advice keep one ½ rack on the left all times and the other on the right and use 2 separate cutting boards  and serving plates and hopefully you won't get mixed up like i did Good luck
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Sounds like a great eggsperiment.  I don't sauce during the cook (or after-always on the side) but if you go that route (instead of when they come off the BGE) I would go with no more than 10 minutes or so to set the sauce.  Hopefully true rib sauce experts will be along.  FWIW-
    And tooth-pick test for the finish-works every time. 
    Enjoy the comparison-all options sound great to me.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Why sauce the DP rack?  Just leave naked and let the rub shine?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Because I was planning to sauce the other half rack? If it is going to be a true duel both sides have to be equally armed.
  • saluki2007
    Options
    Because I was planning to sauce the other half rack? If it is going to be a true duel both sides have to be equally armed.
    Do they?  How about a duel of sauced vs naked?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    Do they?  How about a duel of sauced vs naked?
    I like that
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options

lousubcap said:
    Sounds like a great eggsperiment.  I don't sauce during the cook (or after-always on the side) but if you go that route (instead of when they come off the BGE) I would go with no more than 10 minutes or so to set the sauce.  Hopefully true rib sauce experts will be along.  FWIW-
    And tooth-pick test for the finish-works every time. 
    Enjoy the comparison-all options sound great to me.  

That was my intention.

• saluki2007
    Options
    If you can't tell I'm a don't sauce my ribs kinda guy.  Either way I will be standing by for the results.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you had the Asia variety of spread then it would be a no-brainer!
    http://www.croftersorganic.com/Product.php?unid=12

I think the type you have would be good with the Asian flavors. Perhaps you could use some soy sauce to thin and maybe some of the hot sauce as well for some Asian inspired sweet n' heat. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Curious, I have 2 mediums, and a rack of spares usually fit on w. just the tail flapmeat cut away. Sometimes, just 1 bone also. Anyway...

I haven't tried DP's Peking, but I suspect that going with Lingham's would be a decent pairing. Can't imagine Tequila Strawberry glaze. Superfruit, maybe, but seems like the fruit flavors would overwhelm any other flavors.

Try this, take the rub, the jellies, and melt them together w. some butter or bacon fat. Smear that on some white bread toast, and see if you like them. Then imagine (more) smoke added.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    If you’re going to have a true duel between only two racks of ribs, then only one thing should be different between the two of them.  So use the Sweet and Tangy on both.  The one you end up liking better will tell you which rub you prefer.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    You have a point John, I just don’t think the Peking and Sweet and Tangy will get along together. I have decided that this cook will be for tomorrow. I have lots of other Rubs available.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    You have a point John, I just don’t think the Peking and Sweet and Tangy will get along together. I have decided that this cook will be for tomorrow. I have lots of other Rubs available.
    The other way to go here would be to swap out the Peking Rub for another, or the Sweet and Tangy.

In any case, I’m betting neither will suck!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    True I have some Simply Marvelous Cherry that I have barely tried. I ‘ll sleep on it.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    From the left: Rack Attack, Simply Marvelous Cherry, Honey Hog Hot, Peking. The first 3 had Sweet and Tangy sauce and the last on Lingham Hot Sauce.