Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Q: BGE convEGGtor v CGS setup?

Options
Hi. I'm waiting on delivery of my first Egg, and the dealer has a promo of $100 worth of free accessories along with the Egg. I was going to get the convEGGtor as part of the package, but then saw a lot of people in this community prefer the CGS products. Can anyone weigh in on why? What are the advantages of CGS? I could use the $100 to buy other stuff (it's a great dealer, they'v got shelves filled with ways to drain your wallet). 
Thanks, and this is a great community-- I'm having a blast looking through threads... and I don't even have my Egg yet!
Seattle. Where real men BBQ in both seasons (Summer and Rain).

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have both, and use both, and like having both.
    For pizza, I prefer(after trying many setups), the inverted platesetter setup with spacers then stone.

For baking dishes, it's handy legs up with the grid.

For the AR from CGS, it shines at raised direct and indirect, giving you the option to adjust height, and more capacity with an extra grid for low and slows when paired with the spider.

I cannot recommend one over the other.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    edited April 2018
    Options
    i have both and only use the convEGGtor for pizzas. I love the adjustable rig, I actually have 2, it is used for 90% of my cooks, I have the R&B combo with the oval stone, sliding grid.  I just picked up 2 of the spiders and 13" stones for more cooking area "just in case I need it".  welcome to the fun, add your location to your signature line and enjoy.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    I can't compare as I have a platesetter (old school).  But if you decide to go with the conveegtor CGS makes a PSWOO that is a great set-up especially with the D ring and extender.  FWIW-
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    The CGS setup is lighter and easier to maneuver. I bought the conveggtor at the time I bought my Egg, then added the Adjustable Rig and spider later. If I had it to do over again, I'd skip the conveggtor.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    If one of the options available happens to be a Looftlighter or a Kick Ash Basket, I own both and like both. I am old school with a platesetter. That is mainly because my only Egg is the old size Egg and CGS no longer offers accessories for it. Well I did buy my Kick Ash Basket through them.
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    I have the plate setter with PSWoo and extender, but if I could do it all over again, would probably get an AR combo.  I have no complaints with what I have, but from what I understand the AR offers even more flexibility and settings than I can do with the PSWoo.

That being said, starting with just a plate setter, gives you an opportunity to learn the egg before you dive too much into accessories and the wallet genocide spoken of earlier.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2018
    Options
    As @YukonRon says...
    Welcome my son.
    Welcome, to the machine. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    I have the kick ash baskets for each egg and definitely recommend them.  also, I am a big fan of the jjgeorge lighters, he is local to me here in Alabama, great guy and I love my torch.  been going 8 months on the same tank that was $4. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    What are the advantages of CGS? 

More 
    versatile in how you can set it up.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I've had my egg for about a year. I bought it used from friends, the original owners, who were retiring to a condo and downsizing. It came with the platesetter and a pizza stone. I bought a PSWOO with the extender and D grid, and a CI grid. I cook on my egg three or four nights per week. Butts, briskets, ribs, chicken (a dozen different ways) pizza, steaks, chops, biscuits, cornbread, beans, cookies....and on and on. If I were buying a new egg, I'd get a platesetter, a CI grid, a PSWOO with extender, and a pizza stone (if you're going to make pizza or bake). The egg stuff and CGS stuff isn't mutually exclusive, but you won't need a ton of other gear. Save your money for good lump.   

FWIW, and IMHO.

Welcome!! Enjoy!! This is addictive. It's going to cost you money and you're going to love every minute of it.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    1. I have a platesetter and the CGS adjustable rig withall the toys. For me the AR is much more versatile but it does come at a cost. I haven't used my platesetter for years but that is because the AR stays in my egg. With the spider or using a smaller grate on the lower level you can be below the top of the fire ring but I do most of my cooking on top of the rig or even above with the optional rig extender. As @lousubcap mentioned if you get the platesetter you can always get a pswoo that can be paired up with it. Most every egger has a least one item they hadn't purchased and for me it is the platesetter. Others are happy with theirs, but for me the AR is worth the money. YMMV
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Fvck this. Just call @tjv CGS and talk to him about him about what your needs are. He’s not the type to up sell his products. 

If if you decide you want a plate setter after all, PM me. I’ve got one NIB. Just pay shipping and we’re good. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    I second, just call CGS. He will set you up with what you need.
    Carrollton, Va
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    You will probably end up with both, most of us have.  Your decision is which to buy first.  It sounds like one option could be getting the platesetter up front using the $100 promo money that you have.  That seems like a good idea since you have had a large egg expense fresh on your wallet.  Then you can drop $200-$300 on the CGS AR later when the free platesetter you got from the dealer no longer excites.