Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ButtBlast 2018

Comments

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136

Brandi and Bug got a belly burnt end and we’re going to have to make them at the house, now! If anyone has the recipe? 

Damien,

I basically riffed off this recipe:

http://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/

A couple of changes that are easy for folks in NC.  For the rub, I used Dizzy Pig Raging River Rub.  

For the glaze, I mixed half a cup of Carolina Sweet BBQ sauce with half a cup of Bone Sucking Sauce.  Instead of Frank's hot sauce, I used Sriracha.  Other than that, just follow the recipe.  They're easy to do and only take a couple of hours to make.  Enjoy!  
    Brandi can’t stop talking about pork belly now - you converted her. :)  ill post when we go and do ours! Thanks brother
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869

Brandi and Bug got a belly burnt end and we’re going to have to make them at the house, now! If anyone has the recipe? 

Damien,

I basically riffed off this recipe:

http://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/

A couple of changes that are easy for folks in NC.  For the rub, I used Dizzy Pig Raging River Rub.  

For the glaze, I mixed half a cup of Carolina Sweet BBQ sauce with half a cup of Bone Sucking Sauce.  Instead of Frank's hot sauce, I used Sriracha.  Other than that, just follow the recipe.  They're easy to do and only take a couple of hours to make.  Enjoy!  
    Brandi can’t stop talking about pork belly now - you converted her. :)  ill post when we go and do ours! Thanks brother
    You’re welcome.  I should’ve mentioned that the ones at the Blast were made using the SRF pork belly that @SRF_Sean arranged to have donated.  I’m sure that made a difference in the quality of the final product!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @JohnInCarolina - regarding the pork belly, from the pic it looked like you got a great finish on them.  Did you cut down on the relative amount of sauce you used as I have gone down that road in an attempt to get that same outcome?
    BTW- those look eggceptional.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - regarding the pork belly, from the pic it looked like you got a great finish on them.  Did you cut down on the relative amount of sauce you used as I have gone down that road in an attempt to get that same outcome?
    Great eye there, Frank.  I did not use anywhere near the amount of glaze the entire recipe calls for.  I had the glaze mixed up in a squirt bottle, and I just used enough to give them a good covering.  
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Did I miss the post where @YukonRon detailed his recipe for the blue cheese siracha sauce?? 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited April 2018
    lousubcap said:
    Great eye there, Frank.  I did not use anywhere near the amount of glaze the entire recipe calls for.  I had the glaze mixed up in a squirt bottle, and I just used enough to give them a good covering.  
    @lousubcap this made all the difference. 

I have have been very indifferent to burnt ends. Too salty. Too sauced. 

These melted in your mouth and the meat was at the front end...as opposed to trying to mask a cut that doesn’t need it. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Jeremiah said:
    Did I miss the post where @YukonRon detailed his recipe for the blue cheese siracha sauce?? 
    I will post it tonight after getting back to charlotte, again.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    lousubcap said:
    @lousubcap this made all the difference. 

I have have been very indifferent to burnt ends. Too salty. Too sauced. 

These melted in your mouth and the meat was at the front end...as opposed to trying to mask a cut that doesn’t need it. 
    I have been going very light on my sauce for burnt ends as well, and the results, while not where I want them, are getting better each time.
    John just crushed it on his cook. I would have to say, they were the best I have ever had, by far.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    A couple of the attendees inquired about the Butt Blast III flag(s) I had made. If you are interested in getting one, you can order them directly at  https://www.etsy.com/shop/ScarletBGonias From the home page, contact to the shop owner and let her know you want a Butt Blast Flag. She will send you and invoice and they are made and shipped rather quickly. They are well made and cost $55, and i think about another $3.50 in postage if i remember correctly. If you have problems....shoot me a PM.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnInCarolina
    I was one of those who was on the fence about ever going to something like this. Not that it didn't look like a great time...but did i really want to drive 7 hrs each way. And then i read that folks were making much further drives than me...so i basically woke up Friday morning and said "let's do this!" 

The generosity that i experienced was beyond measure. I got in town early enough to enjoy some of the Friday night fesitivites and instantly knew that i was among rock stars. Nola was doing crawfish, John was knocking out pizza one after another, and of course Mortimer was fired up. I didn't know a soul but within minutes had been offered everything from beef ribs to pork tacos, to the above mentioned crawfish and pizza.

I booked a room at one of the hotels and getting back and forth was a breeze. 10 mins tops. When i got back to the room Friday night i realized that i never did meet Yukon Ron and try one of the famous bourbon slushies. That was checked off the list very quickly Saturday morning! What an incredible guy!

I tried to make the rounds and meet as many of the regulars on here as possible. What a great group of folks. I was lucky enough to win one of the raffle prizes ( SRF no less) and Matt and Jim made sure i walked out with a handful of the remaining sponsor donations.

I can't thank the organizers and the cooks enough. If anybody reads this comment and hasn't been and is remotely thinking about attending one of these...just do it!! You will not be disappointed...

Awesome post man!  It was great to meet you and from my standpoint you fit right in.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I'll echo what JIC said, great post @gonepostal!  We're glad you made the pilgrimage!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    You show those pics and that deal goes from $2MM to $4MM. You'd rock it like Harvey Specter up there!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Well, someone got me good.  

I had to be at work right at 8am this morning.  Had a customer coming in to discuss a $2MM order that was just awarded to us.  Had my laptop connected to the 70" screen in one of the conference rooms, I was locked and loaded!  

Couple other GE folks started asking me about Butt Blast.  I was going on and on and thought, "hey, I have the pictures on my website, I'll pull that up, and show them, they'll love it".  

Well, I get to the conference room ahead of everyone else.  Type in my URL, then naviage to the event page, click to open the whole gallery, and then BAM, I see this : 

Holy crap, what the heck!  I'm hooked to the big screen too.  

First reaction, close my laptop lid.  No go, I'm hooked to the screen.  I then proceed to click to the next page to go to something else.  

Wheww... I dogged a bullet there!  They all got into the room and I looked like a rat on crack.  I just told them "I'll show the pictures later".  

Whoever you are, ya got me!  
    @Killit_and_Grillit wink wink!
    Nod nod.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Now that is a funny story!!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited April 2018
    I’m being framed, @nolaegghead

I already told @JohnInCarolina that is too simple to be my type of shenanigans. 

I would have posted pics of pigs having sex. 

@tarheelmatt that’s rough man. (Full disclosure I did get a good chuckle out of it)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• northGAcock

@tarheelmatt that’s rough man. (Full disclosure I did get a good chuckle out of it)
    I don’t buy it.

• This has @northGAcock retaliation written all over it. 

South of Nashville, TN

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636

Awfully quick to deny.....
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    This has @northGAcock retaliation written all over it. 
    No...my practical joke will be well played against the one whom played one on me. I already have a couple of ideas that I need to develop. All in good fun my friend.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    This has @northGAcock retaliation written all over it. 
    No...my practical joke will be well played against the one whom played one on me. I already have a couple of ideas that I need to develop. All in good fun my friend.
    Robin I hope you realize that Adam who is much taller than I held me upside down for a very long time torturing me until I agreed to auction off your flag. I thought I was going to like Adam but now I'm not so sure! Please don't include me in the retaliation as I have suffered enough at the hands of Adam.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    A little video I complied.  

https://youtu.be/VGp7d0jjPhI
    Ashish - It even looks like me!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • @tarheelmatt man, again, you went above and beyond. 

South of Nashville, TN

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    A little video I complied.  

https://youtu.be/VGp7d0jjPhI
    Perfect. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• YukonRon
    Matt, 
    Very cool video, thank you for capturing the BB.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Thanks everyone! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    edited April 2018
    that's an awesome video matt!  BTW i pulled up the pictures at work, as well, and said damn, he's getting a bit racy with that album.  pretty sure IT will be coming to see me soon.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle