Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti Caved. Gutless.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited April 2018
    DMW said:
    We have all strayed over so many tangents. However, I have seen no evidence whatsoever to support the OP's claim that Yeti "caved". I have seen nothing that would lead me to believe that Yeti was under pressure to make any sort of decision one way or another. I'd like to see some sort of evidence in support of that.

Actually, I'd rather not. What I would like; is that we would all step back, take a look, and decide that we are more decent than taking pop shots at each other.
    You are a d!ck
    D'ck.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    DMW said:
    We have all strayed over so many tangents. However, I have seen no evidence whatsoever to support the OP's claim that Yeti "caved". I have seen nothing that would lead me to believe that Yeti was under pressure to make any sort of decision one way or another. I'd like to see some sort of evidence in support of that.

Actually, I'd rather not. What I would like; is that we would all step back, take a look, and decide that we are more decent than taking pop shots at each other.
    You are a d!ck
    Well, that's obvious.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    DMW said:
    DMW said:

You are a d!ck
    Well, that's obvious.
    Hey, on another note, what would it take for you to show up for Brisket Camp this year?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    DMW said:
    DMW said:

You are a d!ck
    Well, that's obvious.
    Pushover.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,024
    When is Brisket Camp?  October?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DMW
    October, yes. When exactly, not sure. @nolaegghead can you please enlighten us?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    You can play what if all you want, we have been deflecting the same way for years.

The issue is these guns get in the hands of the wrong people, and it seems effortless to do.

There is more that can be done, but the leadership associated with the most Americans, the NRA, should start demanding more from congress, not less.

Their members should too. We all should.

If we leave it to the politicians, they will find a way to tax gun owners for weapons and ammunition, further than what they do now.

Could you see yourself paying $200.00 per firearm every year, and each round of ammo being taxed as well?

That would pay for a heckuva plan to answer all the "what ifs."

I would be paying around a K/yr.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    DMW said:

Since the wife is from NO and she had been wanting to go back, I might be able to swing it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DMW
    edited April 2018
    YukonRon said:
    You can play what if all you want, we have been deflecting the same way for years.

The issue is these guns get in the hands of the wrong people, and it seems effortless to do.

There is more that can be done, but the leadership associated with the most Americans, the NRA, should start demanding more from congress, not less.

Their members should too. We all should.

If we leave it to the politicians, they will find a way to tax gun owners for weapons and ammunition, further than what they do now.

Could you see yourself paying $200.00 per firearm every year, and each round of ammo being taxed as well?

Now that's an interesting concept. Levy firearm taxes to fund school guards rather than increase property taxes that would put the onus on home owners.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• YukonRon
    A tax like that will cause people to protect themselves using other methods of self defense, should they not be able to afford a weapon.
    Which of course would be met with every form of lawsuit available in America for removing those without means to own/purchase a gun and therefore their infringing on their rights in the second ammendment.
    But it could do some amazing things, too.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    We have our reservations.  You sure you want to come?
  • YukonRon
    When in October? We need to get ours in as well.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    bgebrent said:
    We have our reservations.  You sure you want to come?

For sure.  I ain't skeered.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Dobie said:
    Newsflash everything you see in the media is sponsored by someone. 
    wrong.  sad.
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    Dobie said:
    What about the message @DMW got any comments on the real talking points there? 
    Sure, I'll start with the initial postured talking point. Armed guards in every school in our country sounds like a great idea, but it really isn't an economically feasible concept. It sounds like a great idea until everyone realizes they don't want to pay upwards of $15K property taxes. Mine already are getting pretty close to that, and I know some that are already paying more than that. Putting the burden of prevention and protection on schools just doesn't seem right.
    Tax would be 1/3 that in KY.  Then how does it seem.  Burden is the wrong word by the way.
    because kids go to school 12/3 (= fourth grade) there?
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    Yeti being ashamed? This is the same foundation that also trained Nikolas Cruz on how to get the most out of his weapon in both a youth program and educational program. You can't make this stuff up

Yes you *can* make this stuff up, and the rag newspaper you read did make it up.

Cruz was a member of the JROTC, which is funded by the US Army.  The school he attended applied for and happily accepted a grant from the NRA to assist with the JROTC program.  So why didn't the headline read "The US Army trained shooter" or "High school trained shooter"???? It wasn't an NRA instructor or syllabus....it was the Army.

So do you want to get rid of the JROTC and/or NRA marksmanship / safety training?

I'm a NRA instructor, range safety officer, and a CCW instructor for the states of MO and IL.  In order to get a permit in either state your have to be trained by a state approved and NRA certified instructor (meaning you went through a lot of training, background checks, spent a chunk of money doing it).  I know you dont like ccw, but wouldn't you rather have qualified people like myself teaching it?  

I understood it to be an after school program which was funded by the NRA, separate from ROTC, which also taught other students, not affiliated with ROTC. This was what I had read, and also had an ATF agent explain it to me.

Yes, he was part of some marksmanship team as well.......they used air rifles, not AR-15s.  The NRA still didn't "train" him like all the articles claim--no NRA instructors, no NRA training courses.  The NRA Foundation gave the school a grant that the school applied for.   By the same standard, the papers could have written a nearly identical article stating the school or US Army trained him (and either would have been more accurate.)  But does it really matter in the end?  No.
    no, none of that matters
    DMW said:

October 20th, bitches
    this space for sale
    Everyone keeps saying the NRA is so powerful yet they aren’t on the list of top donors. The medical field is the big boy in Washington 

https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/top.php?indexType=s
    That chart is rather misleading as it is strictly lobbying expenditures.

In the 2016 election cycle the NRA AND NRA affiliates spent almost $60 million. Lobbying expenses and donations to specific candidates were a very small percentage of that amount.

The vast majority of NRA money was spent on outside spending/independent campaign expenditures. Think PAC's and all those tv ads that the NRA ran.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    i might add, insofar as the NRA support for the current administration goes versus the alternatives, the best interest of a sustainable hunting and fishing environment are diametrically opposed to the appointment of Scott Pruitt. 

in effect, if you think the NRA has hunters best interests as a goal, it doesn't extend past the fear mongering of rational people taking hunting rifles away.  even in progress/liberal countries this has not and will not happen.  

the NRA has been taken over by extremists. so has the country.  our brand is, to the international community, what some here see Yeti (falsely) is to their extremist views.

the NRA should go back to their roots and support gun safety.

I'm old enough to remember when the NRA actually used to support meaningful gun control legislation including banning open carry (concealed carry - fuhgeddaboudit).

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    DMW said:

October 20th, bitches
    @nolaegghead
    Add 2 more, maybe a third. Mark, might be back from Ghana at that time, so we might fly down and crash at his place, and drag him along with us.
    Thanks for the date.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Meanwhile at a Wafflehouse, in Nashville, a half naked man walks in and kills 4 more. 
    The guy claimed he was being stalked by Taylor Swift, when he lived in Salida, Colorado, and had been arrested in DC, for refusing to leave a restricted area, because he wanted to meet with Donald Trump.
    The most bizarre aspect is not that he is unstable, it is that the state of Illinois took all his weapons, and instead of destroying them or whatever, they gave them back to this guy's father. The father gave them back to him before he moved to Nashville.
    Crazy.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,938
    YukonRon said:
    Meanwhile at a Wafflehouse, in Nashville, a half naked man walks in and kills 4 more. 
    The guy claimed he was being stalked by Taylor Swift, when he lived in Salida, Colorado, and had been arrested in DC, for refusing to leave a restricted area, because he wanted to meet with Donald Trump.
    The most bizarre aspect is not that he is unstable, it is that the state of Illinois took all his weapons, and instead of destroying them or whatever, they gave them back to this guy's father. The father gave them back to him before he moved to Nashville.
    Crazy.
    Yep.  Will be interesting to see if the father ends up getting prosecuted for anything.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    YukonRon said:
    Crazy.
    His parents live in my town.  There have been plenty of signs for several years that he was an unstable person.  How any parent can know that, and then turn around and give him his guns back is mind boggling.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    YukonRon said:
    Crazy.
    Yep.  Will be interesting to see if the father ends up getting prosecuted for anything.  
    Been trying to figure that out myself.  TN and IL have vastly different gun laws.  He may have not violated any laws.  This is a perfect example of why we need national gun laws and not state laws.  Either way the father needs to lawyer up because he will be getting sued.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    YukonRon said:
    Crazy.
    Been trying to figure that out myself.  TN and IL have vastly different gun laws.  He may have not violated any laws.  This is a perfect example of why we need national gun laws and not state laws.  Either way the father needs to lawyer up because he will be getting sued.

So now we should going to repeal the 10th amendment as well?

Either way, there are already tons national gun laws......the National Firearm Act of 1938, the Gun Control Act of 1968, the "Brady Bill", the former "Assualt Weapons Ban", etc.  How would laws have changed anything?  

IL and TN (or any states') gun laws are not that different when it comes to restrictions from mentally ill, felons, etc from possessing and the laws on prosecuting them.  IL is just a lot more restrictive when it comes to purchasing, transporting, and CCW, especially for non-residents.  In any case, they're all still covered by the same GCA, NFA, and other federal laws.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited April 2018
    So if the current laws aren't working should we leave them as they are or consider modifying them?

What did we do in regard to due laws to increase their effectiveness?
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    YukonRon said:

There already is a $200 tax......federal tax stamp for NFA / Title II firearms.  It's one time, not yearly, but it also get charged twice anytime that firearm changes ownership (and twice when it goes changes ownership across a state line.)  Currently a 6-7 months wait time too.

Then there's a federal excise tax on firearms and ammo (FAET).  It's 10-11%.

Then we also have a Special Occupational Tax for Federal Firearm Dealers.

Then because of all the import laws & taxes on firearms, most foreign firearm companies choose to manufacture in the US--so the US gov makes all kinds of extra money on income taxes, property tax, etc for all the jobs and infrastructure to make those firearms here. 

The US government tax the hell out of the firearms industry, yet it still thrives and states welcome gun and ammo manufacturers because of it.  One of those states.....wait for it........Illinois.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    @TEXASBGE2018

Careful some people on here just like to.....

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga