Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have just purchased my FIRST EGG!!!!

Options
Minime
Minime Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have just purchased my FIRST EGG!!! Well purchased/ordered it! Since I live in an apartment complex and have a SMALL balcony, my choice was the Mini Egg. After a phone call from an avid egger at 9:00am this morning (a Saturday mind you!) and a look at the comments about mini egg avalibility on your forum, it was obvious that now was the time to jump into eggdom. And so another egg has found a home! At least soon. I will be looking for a secure table to raise the cooking height and have a couple of questions: First-- would it be advisable to purchase a couple of firebricks to place between the egg and the table? Second-- The charcoal, and etc., will have to be kept on the balcony year round. Does anyone have an idea about how to store such things outside virtually year round? (Remember- we are talking small balcony.
Thanks for your ideas in advance. I am EGGcited!
Minime

Comments

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Minime,
    Welcome to the Egg family. I would suggest a Fireproof concrete mat to protect the balcony. Lowes sells them and the stock number is: 117466.
    Fireball

• Minime
    Options
    Fireball,Thanks for the welcome!I never would have thought of a "concrete mat". We even have a Lowe's close at hand!
    Minime[p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Minime, congrats on the acquisition of the egg. I keep my lump on my screened-in-deck - my biggest attempt at storage is to roll the top of the bag closed - works for me, but then a bag of lunp doesn't always last that long. :~}

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Minime, rubbermaid containers work well for storage. Welcome aboard. Painter

• Minime
    Options
    Painter, Sometimes the right answer can be right in front of me. Literally! Thanks for the welcome.
    Minime

• Minime
    Options
    Gfw, That sounds like the easiest system yet! Thanks for the welcome and I have just taken a short walk to your website. I am taking special note of the Baptism and recipies.
    Thanks again
    Minime

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Minime, its a brownish rubber type material and fireproof. around 35 to 40 dollars and worth it. [p]First things first so you don't get into a big time problem with your condo owners and the fire department. Check your zoning ordinances.[p]And insurance.[p]The BGE is about as fire safe as you can get if a few of the above posted methods are used. The fire inside is well contained and the only source of escape is the lower vent. Here you can make adequate fireproofing from sheet metal and sand. A bounce pad bumper pan and the sand to trap the embers. The BGE "feet" are adequate to insulate the bottom from your wood.
    I just ordered my mini yesterday..now only one more to go.
    A medium..:-)
    Cheers and weloome aboard.
    Char-Woody

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Char-Woody, I'm ordering my mini Monday. With all this talk about people buying the mini's up they will probably keep carrying them now.[p]CWM

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Minime,
    Welcome! I've a Mini as well as a large. When you stoke up your first load of lump you will have become a member of a VERY SPECIAL cult of people. When you have your first slab 'o' meat off Baby you'll know why this bunch of people are the way they are...great!
    Again, welcome.[p]Carey

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, go for it.. my biggest hurdle will be in telling me wiffy we are going to have another newborn.
    Hmmmmmm....:-)
    C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    chest2.jpg
    <p />Minime,[p]I use a rubbermaid storage chest on my deck. It's great and holds a lot. I have even more in it since this picture was taken!![p]Welcome to the Egg-nuts family.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]TimM's BGE site[/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Char-Woody, I just bought my wife a new lawn tractor for Valentines Day she won't care.[p]CWM
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Forget it C~W! You're too old! :-)))[p]
    Dr. C

• Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p] Don't count on having the "feet" to insulate the deck. I got my mini as a gift (bought at the Atlanta Eggquarters) and no feet were in the package. Emailed BGE, they said minis did not include feet.[p]JET[p]
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    JET, I believe your correct..:-)..
    Some of the flower shops sell similar pot feet in the shape of grasshoppers and frogs. I picked up a set for my large. Work similar to the BGE footsies..I would think a round heavy duty aluminum pan(dog pans too) with a base of sand or ash for insulation would work. Not knowning for sure til I get mine and play with it...just ideas for now.
    C~W[p]

• Dr. Chicken, ssssssssshhhhh, I don't know that yet..:-)
    I may die young next week..but happily so!!
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, your the bravest knight of em all...:-)

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    C~W,
    My friend, everyone else might have missed that, but I wasn't gona let it pass! :-)))[p]Have a good one! I'm gona check on a mini Monday morning![p]Dr. C

• Char-Woody
    Options
    C~W, do dah...its a status symbol now..:-)
    Cheers..C~W
    BTW..I'm glad I have a confirmed order..!

• Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p] Being the winter season, there are several sizes of terracotta saucers, the kind that sit under terracotta planters, sitting unused on my screen porch. The wife will have to find a new saucer for one of her pots come spring! (Or I will have to find a new base for the mini, I'll let you know how it goes). Until then, the saucer has worked well. It has ridges inside that perfectly fit around the base and hold it stable. Burned a couple of 2x8's that I used as a temporary base on a picnic table before I found the saucer so I do suggest something under a mini.[p]
  • JET, great idea.. that will work also. And I agree either keep a half inch of ash in the bottom of the mini (others too) or adequate air space between it or combustables (wood, paper, ect!
    Good job..
    C~w