Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just recived my new dutch oven from Big Green Egg I had heard that it had to be properly seasoned befor use can any one help out on how to do this.
Thanks
RTC Smoker

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    RTC Smoker,[p]DO NOT GET ANY SOAP ON THE CAST IRON - NEVER EVER.[p]Get your egg up to 400-500 deg. Indirect if you can. You should have a drip pan under the oven and space for the heat to get to it[p]Coat inside and outside with one of the following (in order of importance) Bacon Grease, Lard, Crisco, Vegetable Oil[p]Place the Dutch oven UPSIDE DOWN. Bake that baby till it's shiny jet black.[p]Let the egg and the pot cool together.[p]Repeat procedure for lid.[p]Repeat the entire procedure till you have a smooth jet black shiny surface on the inside.[p]
    DO NOT GET ANY SOAP ON THE CAST IRON EVER AGAIN.[p]

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    You can also coat with grease and place in a brown paper back, wrapped up, for a few days and it will have the same affect. This diddy courtesy of Paula Dean.
  • Dublin Dawg
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    Should I choose fiction or non fiction for the paper back? :-)

• Celtic Wolf,[p]There is one time to get a mild soap solution on cast iron:
    Cleaning before seasoning
    If it is not pre-seasoned, new cast iron is often shipped with a coating to prevent rust. This coating is typically food-grade wax or mineral oil. The coating must be removed before the pan is seasoned or used. To remove the protective coating, cast iron can be thoroughly scrubbed using light dish soap and steel wool pads. If the surface is "natural" (unpolished), it may also be useful to use a wire brush.[p]I give the pot a good rubdown with 000 steel wool between seasoning applications.[p]You should stress, NO SOAP OF ANY KIND, EVER AGAIN.[p]To clean cat iron cookware:
    Scrub the inside with a tablespoon of a coarse salt, such as kosher salt and rub with a towel. Rinse with cold water. Dry thoroughly with a soft dishrag.[p]Did anyone mention, NO SOAP! ?

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Michael B,[p] There are other ways to get the manufactures coating off the metal. Heat and Steel Wool will remove it without the soap. I have always used hot water and a stiff bristle brush.[p]Cast Iron should never, ever see soap.
  • GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    At first I didn't understand what you were saying. LOL...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    RTC Smoker,
    the methods given are good, one other thing is that a couple of light coats is better than heavey coats, and the first few times you clean it up, clean it with salt and oil with a rag while hot rubbing the salt down hard to remove anything stuck, wipe out the salt and excess oil and dont use any water the first few times. keep the lid off when storing it as ive seen the finish soften with the lid on. you dont want to use any tomato products for the first few cooks because the acid will eat that new seasoning. NEVER let anyone else clean your cast iron, hide it if you have to

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf,[p]Depending on the protective coating, heat alone might not work, but several cleanings with very hot water and a stiff brush certainly will. [p]I wasn't born when my cast iron was purchased; and my grandmother was very particular about how it was cared for. The one exception is a piece I bought preseasoned. The literature that came with it had instructions for cleaning unseasoned cast iron prior to seasoning, which included washing with a very mild soap solution. Emphasis was put on mild and on thorough repeated rinsing with hot water.[p]Problems with getting soap on cast iron:
    If it is seasoned, the soap can strip the seasoning.
    If it is unseasoned the soap will get into the pores and is difficult to get out. The soap must be completely removed or it will keep the seasoning from taking in that area, and can contaminate food cooked in that pot.
    I've heard of people using vegetable wash to pre-clean new cast iron. Veggie-wash is a mild organic soap, heavy with citrus. It is supposed to be much more water soluble than dish soaps, making it easier to rinse.[p]To avoid any possible problems, the most prudent course is to avoid soap at any time.

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Michael B,[p] As I said never ever get soap anywhere near it...[p]well maybe if it's in a brown paper back.. :D
  • Celtic Wolf,[p]Brown paper bag?
    The soap? The pot? Or both?

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Michael B,[p]Paper BACK.. Griffin said Paula said to put it in a brown paper back.. :D[p]XXX-Rated Fiction I think..
  • GriffinGaDawg,[p]A light coat and heating upside down is much better. If too much oil or shortening is applied and not allowed to run off it will pool and gum up. At the very least this will soften the underlying seasoning, which can then be rubbed off with the next use. At most, if the pan isn't used very often, it can become rancid.
  • Celtic Wolf,
    oops. missed that.

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    Do you also oil the outside of the Dutch Ovenand the Lid?
  • RTC Smoker,
    Thanks A lot everybody yall helped me out a lot.
    GriffinGaDawg I live in griffin GA and am the local Green Egg Dealer just wondering if I had ran in to you befor
    RTC Smoker

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    I doubt it RTC...I live in Nashville, TN now. But, my father still lives there. Is your store the landscaping biz off the bypass...Roger maybe? I know dad told me they were selling eggs. If not, let me know and I will stop in some time, if for no other reason than to say hello and trade a few egg stories...and pick up a egg toy or two. [p]Lastly, I know dad is looking to get one soon and I feel sure it will be from you. He has one of the old clay eggs from the early 80's and is looking to upgrade to the ceramic...especially since I have gotten mine and keep carping about it.[p]
  • GriffinGaDawg,
    I am the one on the bypass and have done some work for your dad he has been talking about getting a egg for the past year and a half. tell him he needs to come in and get one. we have to do some trim work for him soon I will get on him again nice to chat. stop in when you are in town again
    RTC Smoker
    Ryan Rogers