Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas EggFest

Options
Who all is headed down to Austin this weekend for the Texas EggFest? Also what should I expect for those who have been before?
Dallas, TX

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options

I didn't realize there was a Texas Eggfest this weekend. Was it announced anywhere? Its not on Big Green Egg's website.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• RustyBeavers
    Options

I didn't realize there was a Texas Eggfest this weekend. Was it announced anywhere? Its not on Big Green Egg's website.

Ya I never saw it on the BGE website either. I found it a while ago by searching for egg fests on google. Texaseggfest.com
    Dallas, TX

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options

haha, and just earlier today I was thinking, man I cant believe there isn't a Statewide Eggfest for TEXAS of all places.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Are you a cook or a taster? 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Something about that one makes it not as fun as the others. It’s set up kind of as a competition and it has no pre or after party. It seems like the camaraderie of the cooks isnt quite as good as some of the others because of this. Everyone I know has pulled out as cooks for this reason. Also, last time I cooked we made 900 portions of food and ran out in 3 hours. It was insane. 

Its not a bad event but it does not have the soul that Salado, Athens, and the indies like Brisket Camp and Butt Blast seem to have. It’s a hard day’s work and not a lot of fun 
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    We are going to be tasters for the first time with Hotch and Shelly.  We've always cooked there, and I totally agree with what Cen-Tex just said.  It's pretty grueling to be a cook there.  I agree that there just doesn't seem like there's any camaraderie.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • RustyBeavers
    Options
    Ah well that’s somewhat a bummer to hear. We are just going as tasters. My franklins preorder on Friday will be the highlight of the trip 
    Dallas, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ah well that’s somewhat a bummer to hear. We are just going as tasters. My franklins preorder on Friday will be the highlight of the trip 
    There are so many great things to do
    out that way. Salt lick is right across the street and Fall Creek winery is right there too. There are several great wineries and breweries and quirky places to eat and drink right around the fest. Plan on making a day of it. Spend a couple of hours at the fest and go get lost in the hill country the rest of the afternoon. That would be about a perfect day for me. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited April 2018
    Options

We are going to be tasters for the first time with Hotch and Shelly.  We've always cooked there, and I totally agree with what Cen-Tex just said.  It's pretty grueling to be a cook there.  I agree that there just doesn't seem like there is any camaraderie
    And happy belated birthday to you! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You should definitely meet up with Bruce, Kelley, Hotch, and Shelly. They know how to have fun. I didnt even know it was this weekend but I might swing by if the weather is nice. 
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    You should definitely meet up with Bruce, Kelley, Hotch, and Shelly. They know how to have fun. I didnt even know it was this weekend but I might swing by if the weather is nice. 
    Agree 100%

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• EggObsessed
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion, @The_Cen-Tex_Smokerand @six_egg!  I'll PM RustyBeavers my phone number so he can text us.  It would be great to see you at the fest, also, Cen-Tex!!  Please text me if you are there.  
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Just a heads up to anyone coming this way from Houston - the BP MS150 bike race is Saturday/Sunday and will be messing with traffic in the La Grange, Smithville and Bastrop areas. The Finish is at the Circuit of the Americas, so it is well away from the area, but there will be increase traffic nonetheless. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • HarrisFrampton
    Options
    It should be a smaller crowd this year as they limited the number of tickets.
    Wimberley,TX
    X-Large,Large, Medium and Small
    17" and 28" Blackstones
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    It should be a smaller crowd this year as they limited the number of tickets.
    That's good to hear!
    Kelley 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Sure going to miss Nikki!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SunnylandPatio
    Options
    We'd love to see many of you at the Turkey Time EggFest this November in Dallas.  We are working on great perks for our teams plus you'll earn cash for each People's Choice ticket your team receives.  Find more details at eggfestdallas.com.