Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky!!, Direct or INdirect...

Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read several methods of doing jerky on several different cookers....
Is it really necessary to cook indirect when the temps are under 200º??
Jerky is more "dried" than cooked is it not?
I`m new to it but I`m thinking direct would be the way to go ?[p]Due to the moisture retaining capablities of the BGE would cooking Indirect not defeat the purpose of "drying" the jerky?
Hey, I`m just looking for the easy way to produce the same result..
Please!, all comments are welcome...[p]Mop!

Comments

• Mop,
    I think you would find that an indirect set-up is a must! I left some over hanging the the raised grill set-up and when I found them, they were unfit to eat! After just a couple of hours. If you follow GFW's method you will have some of the best jerky you've ever had! Bar none![p]Just my opinion though![p]
    Cheers,[p]Dr. Chicken

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Mop, I'll agree with Dr. Chicken. The indirect setup using firebricks also seems to make the temperature much easier to stabilize in the 170-180 degree range.[p]If you decide to try it direct, let us all kbnow how it turns out. I've got Jerky on the schedule for tomorrow.[p]Good luck![p]Speaking of Jerky - When I was out in AZ 2 weeks ago, I found a "Jerky Store" - all they sold was various varieties jerky - I bought a couple of bags of "Spicy Beef Jerky" and it truely was - Now I just have to figure out what went into it![p]
  • Mop
    Dr. Chicken,
    I have done jerky once (last week lol) and used GFW`s "River City and found it very good....I cooked (I think I might be starting a NEW term here) "semi direct"..[p]By that I mean I used a jerky screen restimg on the fire ring...fire bricks on their sides and on top I used the bge grate with long wooden skewers to hang the meat strips from..
    The "semi direct" statement comes from the fact that the heavy duty screen I`m using allows for a restricted amount of heat and smoke due to the heavy tight weave pattern...[p]I`m going to be doing up a batch of jerky today (Randy`s Hot & Sweet) while painting and laying a new floor in our bedroom...
    My wife borrowed the old grainy digital camera from work for the weekend so I`ll post the pics of the cook....[p]Thanks Dr Chicken....[p]Mop~

• Mop
    Gfw, Good morning sir...[p]thanks...[p]So you liked the store bought jerky eh?..
    Be honest, did you like it better than your own?...lol..
    In terms of dryness and texture I mean....[p]Mop![p]

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Gfw,
    You prolly already know this. [p]There are numerous hot sauces out there made from the scotch bonnet pepper in Jamaica. The sauces are generally yellow and they are also fierce hot, almost as hot as habaneros. [p]Anyway, I find that sauce to be the spiciest that I can manage in cooking and very very good for flaming things while still maintaining a good flavor. I recommend trying it. It doesn't matter which brand. My experience with all of the different brands has been good.

• Mop
    hounddog, You might be intersested in "Blair`s 3am Reserve"[p]It`s actually an extract NOT A SAUCE......A waive must be signed prior to purchase...[p]The term "one drop" will do ya takes on a whole new meaning....[p]Mop!

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Mop, it was good - but then, good is a relative term - it was also the only jerky that was available.

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    View?u=474327&a=10378379&p=41173366&Sequence=0&res=high
    <p />Mop,[p]This is what works for me. That is a 15" pizza stone with HD foil covering the stone. The grate that the jerky is hanging from is the same size. I don't believe you will like the results if you go direct. This set up cooks from 4 to 6 hours depending on temps. Hope this helps.[p]Mick[p]
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Mop,
    I guess I am the odd ball here. I cook mine direct hung like Mickey T. I keep it a 180 for 3 to 4 hours and it is GRRR...ATE ! ! !. It was not too dry[p]

• Mop
    MAC, I don`t think Mickey cooks direct, if you look close at his pic you will see the foil at the bottom..[p]Mop!

• Mop
    View?u=1263961&a=9351385&p=41879735
    <p />MickeyT., here is a pic of the jerky almost done...half of it`s gone due to sampling...lol[p]Mop!

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Mop,
    Are those welding rods you're using for hangars?If so, does the jerky taste better with or without flux:-), you've got a neat rig.Bob

• Mop
    Bamabob,lol......ya 7018![p]No, there stainless steel rods that were supposed to sit in the notches that are on the bottom side of the ring....lol[p]I had one of the millwrights at work weld the legs on for me and he did it while I was elsewhere.......my last words to him were...."Notches UP!"
    Well, you see the notches are down........Hey!, it`s a prototype.....[p]Mop!