Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken fire ring ___ epoxy or leave alone ???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have (Lg) fire ring broken in (4) almost equal size pieces .... vertical fractures .... they fit in the BGE very well and would likely function for a long time with no repair. How do you experienced EGG'rs feel about using epoxy to reconnect them? Done properly, will it be a waste of time?? I forget the name of the hi-temp epoxy mentioned here on the Forum several times, but I assume that is the best choice ?? Any other thoughts?[p]Tom B (EggSport)

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),
    i believe folks have had success with JBWeld...

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),
    In addition to JB weld there is a furnace cement I found at Lowes for in the caulk/adhessive eisle.

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),
    when my firebox cracked i used it for a year with no ill effects. it broke because of heat (i did not drop it) as long as that's the reason yours broke BGE will replace it for free if i were you i would not chande a thing and i would bring it to eggtoberfest next year and get it replaced
    just my opinion
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Thanks for comments and ideas. I think it could work well for years as is. OTOH .... any epoxy repair should probably be attempted now, or very soon, since the broken surfaces are clean and free from grease, smoke residue, etc. The fire ring was dropped, so it's up to me to resolve the damage the best way possible. I'm just trying to get a consensus on the best path to follow now since a long term replacement is the ultimate answer.[p]
    Regards,
    Tom B (EggSport)

• Just spoke with JB_Weld customer support and they indicate that the original JB Weld product is the highest temp item and only good to 500*F. They claim it will burn and give off fumes if in contact with flame or red hot charcoal. Sounds like maybe a furnace cement (as mentioned here) may be a better choice, but we still do not know if it would give off fumes affecting any BBQ product cooked in the BGE. Hmmmmmmmm...
    I wonder if BGE will be unhappy to have such a cracked subassembly allowing the possibility of higher temps getting to the EGG inner wall due to these 'narrow' but multiple cracks in the fire ring.[p]
    Tom B (EggSport)

• Tom B. (EggSport),
    I would leave it alone if it isn't moving or falling apart. Just a crack or break isn't enough to do anything IMHO.[p]aloha,[p]Greg

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Tom B (EggSport),
    They (BGE) may also tell ya to take a hike when you turn in a broken part for warranty replacement and its loaded up with epoxy or other compounds..check with your dealer or contact the mothership....best to be safe...why bother when its covered by warranty.[p]Wess

• Apple
    Apple Posts: 49
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport), I have repaired my Lg using a product called marine tex. Its a grey epoxy based putty used for emergency hull repairs to boats. Even works under water. Mix the 2 parts together and use as a thick glue or molds to any shape. I even used it to rebuild a broken chunk out of the BGE shell underneath the felt ring. That was 3 years ago and the reqair is still sound. Find marine tex at Boat US, West Marine, etc.

• Apple,[p] Many thanks! I';; call some local boat shops this afternoon.[p]Yom B (EggSport)

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),[p]
    my fire-ring - large egg has been broken for over 10 years - one rather large vertical crack[p]works for me[p]mr toad

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • mr toad,[p] Bice to know since that would seem to dispel concerns about heat radiating thru the crack and casuing problems with the BGE inner wall.[p] Thanks for your insight.[p]Tom B (EggSport)[p]
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),[p]As long as your 4 piece fire ring is a functional as when it was a 1 piece fire ring I'd leave well enough alone. The fire ring in my large Egg works just fine, and it has been in 2 pieces for years. [p]Puj
  • swamprb
    Options
    stike,
    I agree, if its under warranty I wouldn't mess with it, but mine I got used so I'm SOL! I used Hercules High-Heat furnace cement on my fire box. Repaired a few earthenware Kamados with it and and still holding up.