Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok Question

Options
Celtic Wolf
Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know it may have looked like a joke, but I was serious.[p]When you use a wok with the egg do you cook with the lid up or down. Stir-Fry is supposed to be fast, but that would mean the lid is up.[p]Everything I have read says lid down, except the Wok usage is unclear.[p]

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]You are on track - I stir fry in the wok with the Egg's lid up. I firmly believe that stir fry needs to take advantage of a rip roaring fire; and be constantly "stirred".[p]My preference is to use the small Egg for "woking. I did sort of a shrimp scampi stir fry at Eggtoberfest a couple of years ago.[p]Puj

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Thanks to Sandbagger, we're new into Wok'n. But we're learning and enjoying it quite a bit. I cook on my large with the lid up. It really helps to have real wok tools.[p]One thing's for sure, it cooks fast. We're going to try some Eggrolls next time.[p]You will enjoy it I'm sure.[p]Spring "Wok'n & Roll'n" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p] I have the tools.. I have been Wok cooking on my stove top for years. Now I can take it to a new level :)[p] Thanks folks..
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    TsunamiTenderloin4.jpg
    <p />Puj,[p]Me too!![p]It's a little Bunsen burner, for sure !![p]It's nice to keep the smoke and heat from the house also![p]
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Lid up.The cookers in the oriental restraunts have 120k/144k btu output.I would use sear steak temps and go for it.Forget about the frying technique they use with oil you will be sorry.Frying in the egg is a no,no.I have never seen a btu spec on the Egg with TRX temps.Would be good info for the spec hounds out here.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    sandt3.jpg
    <p />Celtic Wolf,
    Don't know how you wok with lid closed.[p]Mike

• Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    dude! i just busted my finger against my monitor trying to grab a shrimp!
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    DSCN0313.jpg
    <p />Celtic Wolf, most of the cooking is open dome, but don't just hold out for conventional wok cooking. The picture is for fajita mixed veggies. And, somewhere in this dang computer I got a picture for srhimp scampi. Dang lookie there, Car Wash Mike posted his scampi picture. You are only limited by your imagination...T

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    darnoc,
    Sandbagger measured the temp of the lump in my small at 1350F. Depending on the air flow, you should be able to calculate the BTUs. Technical stuff aside, it was darn HOT! My cast iron contraption was reading 850 when we threw on a steak.

eggpictures035.jpg[p]
    [p]That's not wood chips burning!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p] Well either did I, but I wanted to make sure. Now I mysteriously have a craving for shrimp...[p]
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p] With all the stuff on this forum however would my imagination be stiffled? :D[p]
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Evans,
    Tell me where you got that wok for the small, if you would please........

• Chubby
    Options
    Wokoutsideegg.jpg
    <p />
    www.Googncomp.com.[p]I drug mine home from San Francisco 2 years ago....only to find the same thing...cheaper here!!![p]They have all kinds of Wok stuff...and great prices too!![p]Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Thank you for that, Evans. Best wishes to you and your lovely "chick"......

• DannyV
    DannyV Posts: 54
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Hey Chubby,[p] Where did you find the ring to set the wok on? Also, any Idea on the size wok needed for a large egg, 12" 14" or 16"? I could stand a new egg toy to play with!
  • Chubby
    Options
    DannyV,[p]The ring has always been a part of the GrateMates
    "DeLuxe Set-up" ...for the Small Egg.[p]It accomodates a 12" wok...a Lodge 5 qt. dutch oven, and various platesetter and drip pan options.[p]The Naked Whiz did a review of them that you can access by
    clicking on the link below.[p]
    As to the Large Egg....you can use a 14, or 16" Wok.[p]Our own SandBagger can weld you up a fine stainless
    Wok Ring...for a more than reasonable price I'm sure![p]Many on the Forum have them and are very pleased!![p]You can contact him here... on the forum.[p]HTH..[p]Evans[p]

[ul][li]Naked Whiz GrateMates Review[/ul]
  • DannyV
    DannyV Posts: 54
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Looks like SandBagger is about to get pinged. Gratemates will probably get pinged in a few weeks as well after as I measure my camper this weekend to see where the small egg will fit. The large is just a tab big to travel![p]Thanks!
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    Thanks for the info.Will Google BTU conversion and learn something new.I almost made the same type of comment in reference to a cast iron skillet getting white hot,gray ash on the bottom of the pan made famous by a big cook from cajun country named Paul P.