Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cultural Appropriation Sunday. And other stuff

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited April 2018 in EggHead Forum
We gathered at Caliking’s house today for a little celebration of friends and food. It was a hodge podge of amazing food and perhaps a few drinks as well. We had a pulled pork shoulder from Big Moe (one of our pigs), @20stone made a Texas Beef Curry (chili) from a brisket we smoked in the dishwasher last night. TFJ made Chana Masala (chickpeas) and a Zucchini “Bartha” (grilled zucchini on a bge then softened in indian spices on the stove top). We had some X-Rated Sous Vide carrots, a kale, strawberry, blueberry salad with goat cheese, grilled avocados with cajun relish, Caliking busted out his mad blackstone skills for some dosas. These filled with potato and daal were fantastic. Learn something every time I cook with this guy. Was a blast and a gluttonous feast for sure. 

Wagyu Flap steak  at Chez Jones Saturday night. This was part of a fantastic “pre-game” dinner we had but no more pics of that. I’ll let the other guys chime in on what they made and what was good (hint: all of it)

Dishwasher churning out some smoked brisket for @20stone texas style beef curry (chili). 

I call this “not tonight, honey, I have a headache” 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    That looks like a great feast. Nice job Guys.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Absolutely fantastic guys!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    It was a great couple of days, and I want to thank @The Cen-Tex Smoker for bringing all that beautiful meat, @TFJ for all the cooking, @pigfisher for the killer pulled pork and @caliking for being such a great host. 

The amount, variety and quality of the grub was crazy.  This is a crowd you want to eat with. 

[@CT seasoning the brisket chunks]

[brisket on the dishwasher]

It only took me two years of cooking Indian food before I realized that Texas Red and curry are just about the same thing. Cubed meat with onions, cumin and peppers?  For this, the brisket was cut in chunks, smoked for ~3 hours, cubed and Cooke with toasted cumin, paprika and puréed smoked pepper (with other stuff). I thought it turned out.

[sampling the Texas style beef fry]

[@pigfisher’s pulled pork (from one of our Manga hogs]

I just tucked into dinner, more Texas beef fry and chana masala, so I got to savor it again.

Great times. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • I’m making texas beef fry and Chana as we speak. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Beautiful spread and the company looks even better 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    That's living good right there.  Looks fantastic, thanks for sharing.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Daaaang. Good times!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Man- those carrots had me crying. 

Hell of a spread as always. 

Cali- interested in your dosa recipe. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack said:

He buys the goo from an Indian Auntie in his neighborhood. #cheating

He is good with the mechanics of it though. It’s not as easy as it looks.

The carrots were pretty hilarious. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    What a feast! Super jealous. Thanks for an entertaining post! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    This is such an appropriate post. You guys already have the crazy sauscutapalooza thread that’s sometimes borders on wierdly strange - in a good way. This post about good friends, good food, family, and fellowship is other side of the coin - the balance. It made me happy to read this post. Cheers y’all! I look forward to meeting you all sometime. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    AWESOME post.  Looks like a great time.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Looks like some great grub and a good time was had brother Tex. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,866
    Awesome as always guys!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Showing off again I see. I fully approve.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    SciAggie said:
    This is such an appropriate post. You guys already have the crazy sauscutapalooza thread that’s sometimes borders on wierdly strange - in a good way. This post about good friends, good food, family, and fellowship is other side of the coin... 
    Very true, though the effort into the cooking was pretty serious as well, though it was done by many hands.  It was great hanging and cooking together. 

SciAggie said:
    ... the balance.
    I’ve been accused of a lot of things, but “balance”...
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Yeah.  Mr. Balance.  That's what they call him.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    What a day. Feeling conflicted. Devastated. Triggered even. But exhilarated. That a bunch of crackers crossed my threshold with with some of the best INDIAN eats that I’ve had. 

We we have thrown down a couple of “theme” eats parties that have been exceptional, but for today we kinda said fvck it. Just cook. 

1st course was “western” with phenomenal pulled pork from the last of our hogs, courtesy of @pigfisher. With homemade bourbon mango chipotle and mustard vinegar sauces. Almost didn’t make it to service because we kept grabbing bites out of the pan. 

To keep things ON topic, an egg was lit for Scott’s grilled avocado with black bean and corn salsa. 

15 mins later we figured that it was time for the 2nd “eastern” course - dosa, spicy tater filling, sambar (the dal/lentils made with tamarind and other stuff, courtesy of caliqueen), and spicy peanut chutney. Pics up top. The TX brisket red chili/fry straddled the divide... so we ate it twice. Because one lunch wasn’t enough. 

I baked a loaf, because I didn’t know @20stone was bringing bread too. Ended up not serving it, because his turned out pretty damn good. Damn him. 

Naughty SV carrots ended up on the BS to get caramelized a bit. Good call at @The Cen-Tex Smoker

There was a fair bit of hanging out. The “real” dining table was set, but we never made it there. 

Beverages were consumed. We laughed, caught up, and ATE! 

Screw it. I’m calling in sick tomorrow. I need another day to savour this goodness. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Great post.  The only thing better than breaking bread with friends is preparing the food  together and enjoying the ride.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Just when you think this group can't possibly raise the bar any higher...Bam
    Way to go guys!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Yeah, just damn.  It all looks and sounds great and looks like a good time.

• Or those grilled loaded avocados. Her eyes lit up like a Denzel movie came on. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Or those grilled loaded avocados. Her eyes lit up like a Denzel movie came on. 
    Ha! So true. 
  • caliking
    Some may have noted , but we had all kinds of geeky shid going on.

Cook(s) involved big kitchen clock for bread and brisket chili-esque item, SV, BGE, BS. 

That aint DiGiorno :smiley:

• caliking said:
    Some may have noted , but we had all kinds of geeky shid going on.

Cook(s) involved big kitchen clock for bread and brisket chili-esque item, SV, BGE, BS. 

That aint DiGiorno :smiley:
    And the dishwasher for the brisket for the chili. 
  • That looks like a heck of a great time!  Thanks for sharing and dare I say inspiring!
    Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    Wolfpack said:

He buys the goo from an Indian Auntie in his neighborhood. #cheating

He is good with the mechanics of it though. It’s not as easy as it looks.

The carrots were pretty hilarious. 
    Yep. I can drive a few mins from the house and buy homemade dosa batter from a couple of places. Sort of like the sketchy parking lot meat deals, but slightly more legit. 

@Wolfpack -  Getting the grind right for the fermented rice batter is tricky. Not just a question of fermenting rice and throwing it in a food pro, but I've heard that folks have had luck with Blendtec or Vitamix blenders. Peeps from the motherland usually bring lawnmower-engine grade "mixies" with them for this sort of stuff. 

The batter is only half the story though. There is a technique to making the crepe-like dosa, which I have been working on to learn in the past few months. We make dosa about weekly now. Game was slightly off today, because of the wind and trying to maintain the griddle temp just right. Turned out pretty good though, and we enjoyed them.

Happy to share the technique I have figured out so far, and bore you with the details :)

• caliking
    SciAggie said:
    This is such an appropriate post. You guys already have the crazy sauscutapalooza thread that’s sometimes borders on wierdly strange - in a good way. This post about good friends, good food, family, and fellowship is other side of the coin - the balance. It made me happy to read this post. Cheers y’all! I look forward to meeting you all sometime. 
     Thanks for the kind words. And yessir, we need to make that happen. 

Although, I envision it as me "supervising" consumption of adult beverages, while letting you ply me with all kinds of phenomenal grub from the WFO :smiley:  

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Looks like a fantastic time with great eats! So what made the punch joyful?  =)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA