Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok for Egg. . .

Options
Hog Euker
Hog Euker Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About two weeks ago, I purchased a Wok from my BGE retailer for my Large Egg and have used it just about every night. We are trying to reduce the fat in my daughter's diet who has diabetes, and I was told stir fry when cooked with proper oils, actually taste better than pan fried stuff. So far, I have made, Chicken Fried Rice, using white rice, egg beaters, saflower margerine and some frozen peas and carrots,it turned out as good as any chineese restaurant's fried rice I've ever tasted. Last Night I made some stir fry shrimp and it was incredible. Country style potatos and onions was one of the first things I cooked and the second I tasted 'em, I was hooked. The Egg once again has come through.

Comments

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Hog Euker,
    It's great to hear that you have found something that will help your daughter and taste good. Feel free to post any recipes that you have. I am looking for Wok-Egg recipes. The Country stlye potatoes and onions--I want some now.
    Fireball

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Fireball, I'll second your comments..It's great to see the varied food preparation uses that one can use the "eggie" for. Good job H.E.
    C~W[p]

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Hog Euker,
    How did you get the heat right for the wok?Did you preheat to a certain temp. or just cook over a hot open fire.I'd appreciate any info.We gotta cut back a little on the meats.Thanks, Bob

• char buddy
    Options
    Bamabob,[p]I have only wokked a few times, but each time I put the wok on when the temp hit 400. Once set up I have no idea what happened to the temp, but the wok's fit is so snug I imagine the thing stayed around 400, but who knows. It worked perfectly. We have an electric indoor stove, so it was great to have a seriously responsive heat source.
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Hog Euker,
    I've been looking for a really good wok for some time now. Who makes the one you got from the BGE dealer?
    JimW

• Hog Euker
    Options
    Bamabob, Sorry it took so long to follow up. I emailed you this in case you can't find this post.[p]What I do is get the dome temp to 600 F. I then put my wok over the fire ring where the grill should be. Note, my wok fits very snug as Char Woody stated in His post. I let the wok heat for about three minutes, it won't take long, and I test it by flicking a few drops of water on it. If it beads and runs like a bb, it's ready. I use Saflower Oil because it is actually good for you and in a wok it does just fine. I then put whatever season I used on my meat in the oil and toss on the meat. I let it cook for about 15 seconds then I give it a good toss and let it sit for about 7 seconds. I toss it again, letting it set for just a few seconds before tossing vigerously again and again. I do this for about three minutes with beef, thats cubed about half the size you would use on a shiskabob. About two for shrimp and chicken. I like to mix some of my meat in with some veggies so I will take off the meat and put them on a platter by the egg. I then use a damp cloth to clean my wok very quickly, I then put some more oil down, I use about 1TBS for meat and veggies, season the same way, then stir the veggies the same as I do the meat only about half as long. I then taste one of the veggies to see if it's ready, and when it tastes right, I toss the meat back in and don't let it sit. I am merely reheating the meat so I stir vigoursly for about a minute.
  • Hog Euker
    Options
    JimW, I am sorry It took so long to follow up. I will Email this message to you in case you have given up of me responding to your reply. I have no Idea what the brand of this thing is but my dealer can probably help you. The Name of my dealer is Outdoor Home and the phone number is
    417-869-0174. You will need to tell them which Egg you have and I'm sure they will be able to help.