Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How would you do this pheasant?

Options
Buddy at work gave me this, I've checked out a few recipes online but so far can't make a decision. What would you do with it?

Comments

• chupacabra
    Options
    to me, pheasant is good in fried strips, as a "popper" or added to a stew. I clean and cook thousands of pheasant every year and haven't found a great way to smoke or grill them. Occasionally, we will pluck and leave the skin on to smoke it but I'm still not impressed.

**Hoping someone chimes in to give an awesome recipe! 
    Marietta, Ga
    I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I’ve done pheasant in the oven and on the stovetop.  As I recall, pheasant can be rather unforgiving.  It can quickly become tough as shoe leather, but done right is really good.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1190604/pheasant-chukkar-recipe
    XL  Central Ohio
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    ripnems pheasant neuburg

INGREDIENTS:
    Cream of mushroom soup
    Cream of chicken soup
    green olives
    mushrooms (in a jar)
    bacon(BB is best)
    peperocinis
    hot sauce
    heavy whipping cream
    buncha bird cooked and shredded (not chopped)

PROCEDURE:
    1 Cook the bird and bacon and then combine it all in DO or crock pot and let simmer for a couple hours. It can be served over any starch, but my favorite is over eggs and hashbrowns.
    2 quantities are based on how much bird used and it has always been a "wing-it" type of recipe, that will knock your socks off.

serve over thick toast or coarse mashed taters

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    ripnems pheasant neuburg

INGREDIENTS:
    Cream of mushroom soup
    Cream of chicken soup
    green olives
    mushrooms (in a jar)
    bacon(BB is best)
    peperocinis
    hot sauce
    heavy whipping cream
    buncha bird cooked and shredded (not chopped)

PROCEDURE:
    1 Cook the bird and bacon and then combine it all in DO or crock pot and let simmer for a couple hours. It can be served over any starch, but my favorite is over eggs and hashbrowns.
    2 quantities are based on how much bird used and it has always been a "wing-it" type of recipe, that will knock your socks off.

serve over thick toast or coarse mashed taters

This is really good!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @derka123 Was that a penned pheasant (or a pay to hunt game farm) or a wild pheasant?  It looks really light colored, but that could be my screen.

Typically I lean in harder on the earthy flavors when it's truly a wild bird. 

Pheasant (like duck) does really well in asian food. I did this one last year on the wok and served it over a bed of rice and it was great. I added some Thai chili paste and sesame oil to the sauce. 

https://honest-food.net/general-tsos-recipe-pheasant/

You could also just put it in a roasting pan with some seasoning, citrus (like oranges/lemons), maybe a little honey, cover in bacon and cook.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks like bad meat. Send to me asap and I'll give a detailed inspection report free of charge :grin:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    I do them indirect 350-375. Pull at IT around 150-155.  Have to be quick or they get dry quick.  Breast meat is just like chicken,  usually pull the leg meat and freeze for soup in the winter. I save and freeze the bones to make soup stock as well.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • Bayou_Buzzard
    Options
    Pheasant wild rice soup is the best. 
    From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
    Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Highly recommend a brine. Last few I did an equilibrium brine for a few days, then smoked them indirect until done and they were great. But any regular brine would be fine.  I may have posted it here, I’ll look. They turned out awesome.  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Doggy style. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    Brine it or put in a soup/chili for best results. It's extremely lean meat and gets dry very quickly. My uncle has a delicious recipe for white pheasant chili. I'll try to post that ASAP.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Wheel barrel