Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron wok use

Options
UGAVET
UGAVET Posts: 577
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This weekend i bought a Lodge cast iron wok. Can anyone give me any advise on if this can be used on the egg? I think i saw a picture on a post at somepoint showing a wok on the egg. I have a XL and a large but i assume that the large is what i need. I have sandbaggers spider which sits down on the fire ring that i think would work to hold the wok. any thoughts?

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    ugavet,
    Hmmmmmmm....I don't have a picture of my wok inside the egg, gonna have to fix that soon. I think Chubby has posted a picture of a wok in his small Egg and Carwash Mike also has posted pictures of shrimp scampi in a wok on a large if I'm remembering right. [p]Sandbagger made me a wok ring which I think is a bit different than the spider your referring to, but it works great in the large.

• Sandbagger
    Options
    wokchickenvieggies.jpg
    <p />ugavet,[p]If your spider has the 10-11 inch diameter ring, then it will hold a 14-16 inch diameter, steel wok. I am not sure if the handles on the Lodge wok will allow the wok to fit in the spider/fire ring. If the handles do not cause any problems, then throw that bad boy in the spider and wok yourself something. [p]You should not have a problem with the weight of the wok, as I use a cast iron griddle on the spider to blacken steaks. [p]Just a little FYI, the wok experts (I am not one) recommend steel woks for cooking. They suggest steel is a better conductor of heat. From what I can tell, you want the wok to keep the heat moving. Cast iron does a better job storing heat. I buy steel woks for ten bucks at a restuarant supply store. [p]If you have an Asian market near-by, drop in and walk the aisles. I do that every so often, and without a doubt, the locals give me that...hey who is the fat boy with the deer in the headlights look....I dig it. T

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    ugavet,[p] With a wok?[p] Just couldn't bring myself to put that all in the subject HEHHEHE
  • duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    ugavet,
    We use a steel wok. We take one of the burner grids off of our gas ange and put it on the egg's grate, it is fairly stable and works good but does not concentrate the heat like a wok ring would.

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]Cast iron is better at having an even temp. The hold the heat longer, but genuine hand hammered high carbon steel woks are the best choice.
    The heat faster, and to a higher degree, they transfer that heat quicker. Plus the small ridges in a hand hammered wok hold the food up on the sides where the temp can be cooler while you're stir frying another item in the high heat area.[p] I love wok food.... and wok and woll music!