Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Endangered Mini??????

Options
Fireball
Fireball Posts: 354
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After talking to a person at Halco Grill in Pennsylvania about prices on the Mini and Chiminea's (both of my local dealers do not have prices for the chiminea). I was told that BGE is discontinuing the Mini. Has anybody else heard this?
Fireball

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Fireball,
    I had not heard that. We bought our BGEs & the BG chiminea in Rockford at the Outdoor Cook. JCA

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Fireball:[p]Sounds to me like that particular dealer will not be carrying the Mini . . .

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Fireball, maybe we should do a big cook telethon for the mini to keep it alive. Even if it fails we have good eats for a few days.[p]CWM
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Fireball,[p]I must admit, I have heard folks from BGE mention that could/would be happening but I have not heard it was finallized. It won't surprise me if it's true. [p]Tim
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Fireball,
    In speaking to Ed Fisher, Owner of BGE, when the existing supply runs out that will be the end of the Mini as there no plans to produce any more.
    JJ

• BillyT
    BillyT Posts: 29
    Options
    JJ,[p]So how can I get 2?[p]BillyT

• Big Murth
    Options
    Fireball,
    Looks like it's being phased out. I just bought my Large...now I'll have to figure out a place to stash it in my garage for awhile...until my better half fully accepts my Eggitis. QUESTION: How sophisticated of cooking can be done on the mini....do you use a dome thermometer? I know I wanted one for the RV I don't own yet, but I'm sure there's room in my Coleman Pop-up Tent Trailer...and if my brother in-law finally bites on the Egg thing...we'll be building "two" tables..with spot for the mini next to the large!

• JJ
    Options
    BillyT,
    Check with your local supplier or contact BGE, HQ in Atlanta, 1-800-939-3447. Others will give you some other good info to find them.

• Big Murth
    Options
    Fireball,
    GUYS AND GALS: ANOTHER QUESTION OR TWO::
    Is the mini capable of doing the "perfect steak" (3-3-3) etc., and can you smoke anything that will fit, for a lower and slower cook? Thanks. I know that a lot of you have the mini, but I don't know what the plusses are...other than the fact that you can do a small 1-2 serving grill thing probably quicker and easier than firing up the Large.
    Thanks....Big Murth

• JJ
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Great for steaks, chops, ribs, burgers, brats ans whatever else you wnt to cook. Same as the large but in small quantities. I had mine on our boat using a gimbal until I sold the boat.

• J Appledog
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Perch the mini on the large BGE feet on the table next to the big one

• char buddy
    Options
    JJ,[p]Well, i was putting this off until I won the mini at the eggfest, now it looks like I'm gonna have to change my plans.[p]I need that mini for vacations and such
  • Fireball
    Options
    Big Murth,
    You said "I know I wanted one for the RV I don't own yet."
    So get the mini first than you can want a RV for your mini.
    The wife may buy this reason for getting a RV.....
    Fireball[p]

• Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Big Murth,[p] I can't say enough good things about my mini. I had serious doubts because of the size and passed on up at $60.00!! Luckily I got one for Christmas and have been using it since. It is great for steaks, pork chops, and just about anything else you can fit in it. I haven't tried to slow cook anything yet, but if you don't load up on charcoal, it is very easy to control the temp even without a daisy wheel. Haven't fired up the Weber Kettle since I got the mini. Against the salesmans advice, I bought the BGE thermometer (he thought it wouldn't fit). It has been accurate and a big help. Buy one! You'll love it!

• Fireball
    Options
    JET,
    The daisy you speak of the same one that fits the small BGE?
    Fireball

• J Appledog
    Options
    Fireball,
    Buy the mini for your wife!

• Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Fireball,[p] No, I don't have a daisy, but have noticed posts saying a small daisy can be adapted. I haven't had any trouble regulating temperature without one. Right now I have two rainbow trout fillets on at 200 deg to smoke over some alder. The main thing I have learned is not put too much charcoal in for low temps as the mini doesn't have much space between the firebox and the grill. If you arent't careful you can sear the bottom of whatever you are cooking just off the heat of the coals alone.[p]