Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very sad day, indeed RIP Little Steven (from Stike)

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    So sorry to hear this. My condolences to his family and friends. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Very sorry to hear this.  Life is too short.  Damn!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Where's the "gotcha!" line?!? Never had the honor of meeting but, spoke many times privately. He will be missed .RIP
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited April 2018
    I saw this post, and upon first glance, I thought it far away from "our" Little Steven. I had initially was the Little Steven from The E Street Band.
    After reading the post, I feel worse, knowing the forum and the BGE community lost tremendously, with his passing. 
    Never met the guy. However, the posts were always entertaining and occasionally educational for me.
    As with the others that have posted, I am deeply saddened with this news. There are those folks you have contact with, as brief (and in my case, infrequent) as it may be, but you are convinced they be mighty cool to hang with.
    Little Steven was that guy.
    Hoping his family and loved ones make it through this most difficult of times.
    Peace.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • I'm all choked up.  Steve Nelson was a great guy.  I had the privilege to have supper at his house with his family once.  He got me to man the egg while he drank and fetched refills and had a good time.  Went drinking with him and @henapple one night here in Michigan.  That was awesome!  Very generous guy.  Gave me seven or eight bags of Maple Leaf lump while at his place.  We left for home directly from there.  I wasn't sure we could cross the border without hassle with it, but I was hammered and Wilma pulled it off.  I was thinking about contacting about the Toronto Eggfest this year.  I don't have the heart to go now.  You will be missed Steve!  RIP.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I first met him at the Sunshine State Eggfest in Melbourne FL what a great person and Egger had a Heart of Gold. RIP Steve.............

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Thank you for the update. 

RIP LS
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    It is always sad to hear when someone moves on from the world, especially when you hear how great someone was over and over and over.  He must have been a great one as many I admire here are speaking so highly of him.  Recalling a few of his posts, he was entertaining to say the least. 

Godspeed to you LittleSteven, and to all those whose lives you have touched. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    That's terribly sad news.  Never met in person but did speak privately a couple times.  Sent me a message once that we had to stop liking each others posts or people might think we were dating!  Ha.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    It saddens me to hear about the passing of Little Steven.  In the GWN he was the elder statesman of BGE.   I remember prior to the 1st Niagara Eggfest, he expressed concern that there wouldn't be enough food for his American friends and he didn't want to be embarrassed. There was a group of us; (Newbees - under LS's guidance)  that had never been to an Eggfest and did our best to make sure there was more than enough food for the fest and the after party.  I thought he was crazy making food all night prior to 1st Niagara. I had never experienced that before.  LS introduced my family to the Sunshine Eggfest and many great eggers - and for that - I am thankful.  It brings a smile to my face to think about LS cooks where he prepped all kinds of dishes and got all kinds of people including my kids to cook (or at least watch over) the cook.  He will be sadly missed ! My condolences to his family ! 
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    edited April 2018
    So sorry to hear this. Little Steven would do anything for you. Years ago at Eggtoberfest, team hardcore went way to late in the hotel parking lot. Poolman, and a couple of us decided to walk to Waffle House at 4:30am (walking was the smart choice in our condition) when Little Steven whips up to the curb in his car, swings the door open and asks us if we want a ride. We said "sure, if you just turn your headlights on" :) Wish I had some old pictures. R.I.P L.S.
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    This one really hurts.  Foundation member of the forum with knowledge and skills unsurpassed.  I never met him but felt I knew him based on his personal and caring approach to all who participated here.  He was a true ambassador for the GWN and man-kind in general.  
    My condolences to his personal and extended family.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    One thing that can be said....and I hope we can say this about all of us when our time is up......He had a great time while on this planet. Rest in Peace Little Steven.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    My tears say it all.  RIP my sweet friend.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    RIP.  Very sad day.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Damn, very sorry to hear. What a tragedy for the family and friends.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    this is really too bad, a son, a dad, really feel for the family.  really gonna miss that labomba pimp.  super nice guy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    He was like a brother. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I am stunned and truly saddened! Met Steve and his wife, Norma, at the NewEggland fest a few years ago. Spent Friday evening with them and stike, Zippylip, @Florida Grillin Girl and a few others. Good times!

Was also in a Skype group with him and a handful of other forum folk. Steve was a genuinely nice guy who would give you the shirt off his back! Not sure how many jars of Bomba he sent me. Great sense of humour too. I am honoured to have called him a friend!

RIP, my friend. You will be sorely missed. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2018
    this is really too bad, a son, a dad, really feel for the family.  really gonna miss that labomba pimp.  super nice guy
    Was lucky to score a couple jars of Bomba from Rod, all due to LS.  Good stuff, Bomba too.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Like others mentioned, I scrolled to the end hoping for a punch line. Dang. I never got to meet him personally but I am close to others that have become really good friends with him over the years. I've only heard nothing but positive and fun times with him. So sorry to hear about this. Prayers to his family and friends. He will be missed deeply

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    caliking said:
    He was talking up the Bomba when I met him. A few months later, I get a package from the GWN.  He sent me a whole case of the stuff!

still have a jar. 

few years ago i was in weight loss mode, atkins for about 3 months, bread cravings were insane.  woke up one morning, ci skillet with bread crumbs in it, empty bottle la bomba, dont remember a thing.  get an email from steven, he had done the same thing, but he did it in a hotel room, left the room, no clothes, no keys to get back, woke up in the hotel kitchen cooking =) will never forget that story, some would say its from over drinking, but the total lack of carbs can do some crazy things. sleep cooking is one of those things
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    Wow. So sad. I didn't know him personally, but his contributions here were well known. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends here
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    RIP Steven.  He was one giving person....that says it all. Now he is egging for the Big Man and all the angels.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Botch said:
    So sorry to hear this.  
    He lost his son the month before, how is his wife doing?  Anyone in contact?  
    I sent her a message yesterday