Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small egg advice

Options
UGAVET
UGAVET Posts: 577
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have used my small several times since I picked it up at eggtoberfest. I have had pretty good results with pizza and some rolled up stuffed chicken but i seemed to run out of fire pretty quick. I am using BGE lump. I cooked chilli tonite in a cast iron dutch oven and think i figured out that i havent been putting in enough lump. tonite i put lump up onto the fire ring about half way. wondering what the longest cook anybody has done with a full load of lump on a small. I know the brand of lump would make a difference but could you do a 7-8 lb boston butt with one load or need to add more lump during cook. I also got an XL to go along with my large and havent used it yet. what would the XL owners out there recommend for my first cook. I just got my Barbque Guru today. Dying to get it cranked up but looks like there may be a learning curve. I have ordered a food saver cause i cook so much food due to how fun it is that we cant eat it all and having to give away to neighbors or take to work. wife is getting aggravated i think.

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    ugavet,
    Some others may have tried. I've also found my small not to last for an overly long time with a load of lump. Kind of an exponential decrease in lump volume when you go down in sizes. It is great for those quick meals though. I just use my large for slow cooking.

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    P1010029-3.jpg
    <p />ugavet,[p]Morning!![p]Maybe this will help.....[p]
    Pictured above...my last Butt...(about an hour in).
    This one was almost 8 lbs.
    If you look closely...you'll see I've got Lump right under (maybe a couple inches clearance) the Drip Pan.
    The Drip Pan is setting in the BGE deep dish pizza pan
    (on the GrateMates FireRing)... for added ceramic mass.[p]Below....this was the same guy...ready for wraping 14 hours later.[p]P1010032.jpg[p]Finally....here's what's left!![p]P1010034.jpg[p]Surprised..aren't you!!![p]A couple things of note:[p]Iv'e done more Butts "without" the guru...than with. But "With" you'll get better draft control, and end up with more Lump left...
    or be able to cook longer to begin with...definately!![p]With what was left...I could have easily gone another couplethree hours... if I wanted to.!![p]Good charcoal does make a difference!
    BGE should be fine if that's what's available to you.
    I think this was B&B in this case...which is mostly Post Oak.[p]I think people who just use the Small for chicken and steaks,
    are missing the proverbal boat!![p]JMO!![p]Please forward any leftovers to....Cypress, Texas!![p]Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    ugavet,[p] The XL is a rib cooking machine. Ribs are a good first cook in the XL. Brisket is is good too.[p] If you got the plate setter and pizza stone for the XL then impress your friends with the 21" pizza the XL will cook.
  • Chubby, Yum!! Is that a temperature control w/ alligator clip?? Home made? for grid temp, obviously. I currently use a 12" grease therm dropped thru the daisy wheel. I believe it works ok. Whatever we get used to, right?

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Chubby,
    That is impressive. I've got a guru on my Christmas wish list. We'll see if the wife goes behind my back again this year with other Eggmen LOL.[p]H

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    ugavet,[p]We use our small for long, slow cooks all the time. The longest was a 16 hour pork but while camping a while back.[p]The small is not limited at all in what it can do, except it won't do a 20 lb turkey![p]Tonia
    :~)