Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect heat for small BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have 2 large BGEs...just bought a small at the Eggtoberfest...what do I use on the small for indirect heat?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    gmbasicsetup.jpg
    <p />Linda Fennell,
    Check out GrateMates from our own Chubby. The photo shows one option for indirect cooking possible. Here is a link to a review I did of them:[p]TNW

[ul][li]GrateMates[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Linda Fennell,
    While Chubby's items are fine in the meantime two other methods work for me - just depending on how much mass you want. I use two fire bricks turned on edge and an auxillary grate on top of that. Then sometimes I'll merely use a disposable round pie plate as a drip pan/indirect barrier. OTOH if I want more mass then I'll lay two more fire brick flat between the two upright ones.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Linda Fennell,
    You can see a couple of ways of achieving indirect in the tips section of my website...but as others have said, Chubby`s Grate mates are the way to go so far.[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    WessB,[p]That's nice of you to say...[p]Especially since it was seeing what you were doing,[p]( re: pics on your Website, your being good enough to feild a couple of phone calls, and the use of the BGE deep dish Pizza pan)... [p]that started me thinking about "GrateMates... in the first place!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Linda Fennell,
    Chubby's work better than this one.(And are cheaper!)

eggpictures033.jpg[p]

[p]
    Picture.jpg[p]
    [p]The fire brick thing also works just fine.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Chubby,
    Luv ya brother..[p]Wess

• Bluegillman
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Hey that was kinda neat on those "kits" for the bge. I gotta ask about using the Dutch oven on it, how do u control the fire so it doesn't get so hot? Do u open the lid of the bge to stir the stuff in the Dutch and close it or just leave it open while cooking? The roaster is something I like too! As it is good for on bird but some times I would do two as I have that side by side roaster, can it fit? As in the "Basic" is that all I would need for those two that I have in mind?