Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

altitude question, probably dumb

Options
ronbeaux
ronbeaux Posts: 988
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If I were to take my small egg to Colorado and use it at 9200ft, what differences would I see in cooking times and temps for say something like chicken or ribs?? I learned about cooking rice the hard way!

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Whew! You didn't ask what I was afraid you were going to ask. Someone once asked, on this forum, if it were possible to light a fire at around 8k feet. LOL[p]I don't think you'll notice much impact. JMHO (cooking at around 5280 everyday).

• ronbeaux
    Options
    Pakak,
    LOL, I here ya. There were wild fires all around the area where we go every year and they were all above 8000![p]After the rice thing I just had to know. That's what happens when you take someone who has never lived over 20 miles north or south of I-10 for his whole life.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    it will take you much longer to prepare and consume your dinner, and the likelihood of your being able to clean all the dishes before bed is very low.[p]this is less an effect of cooking at altitude than it is a result of the fact that you are likely on vacation, and that you have been drinking.[p]you may experience shooting pains in your *ss as well, as i will be sticking pins in a voodoo doll with your face pasted onto it, because i am NOT on vacation, and will be bitter that you are.[p]peace.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ronbeaux
    Options
    stike,
    ROTFLMAO!
    Gotcha! Now I have a whole year to protect my A**[p]What? You think I'm rich or something? I get 5 weeks of vacation a year and can only afford one![p]Besides, in the Safety Buisness it's a well known fact that if you look at something wrong long enough, it will go away or become normal, dishes included.[p]peace back at you

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    The thin air will be a factor. I would bump up the temp and cocktails.[p]Mike

• ronbeaux
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I was just thinking, which is usually a bad idea, that with the thin air and lower boiling point that things might tend to dry out quicker. Cocktails seem to hold up well though.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    ronbeaux,[p]No problems or adjustments if you are grilling or roasting meats. If you are going to pan fry fish, use a lower temp than you normally do to avoid browning too quickly.
    Braising or making stew in a Dutch oven will need more time. Forget beans or go with canned ones. I think we visited about pre-cooking pasta and rice and vacuum sealing. Baking is a challenge and will need recipe adjustments, this applies to pancakes too. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • ronbeaux
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Thanks! I did notice that the rainbow trout we pan fried got brown too quick, since we sliced them thin they turned out ok. Forget rice! I'll never go that route again. Mom cooked the stew nearly all day to get it right. And all the biskets we cooked for breakfast were flat, they were in the can thing that pops open.[p]I'm bringing it next year to do some grilling and maybe a slow cook.

• thirdeye
    Options
    2b8d1b70.jpg
    <p />ronbeaux,[p]I think bagels and tortillas are about my favorite "bread" things to pack into the mountains not just because they hold up so well, but they are so versatile.[p]For snack and breakfast meats I like to take some buckboard bacon and some pastrami, both unsliced. People will think you are nuts making pastrami and fried eggs, until they taste it. Or you can scramble eggs with onions, peppers, pastrami & cheese and wrap it in a tortilla.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• ronbeaux
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I gotta ask. Is there anything you haven't cooked?? Every time you post my jaw drops and I need a bib.

• thirdeye
    Options
    d0a8d372.jpg
    <p />ronbeaux,[p]I'm a lousy scratch baker. Mrs thirdeye takes the reins and handles the fancy work. [p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• ronbeaux
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Yep, I knew it. You and Mrs. thirdeye are the ones that make all that stuff they show on the Food Network so the "Star" can magically pull it out of the oven at the last minute at the end of the show.
    Can't fool me!