Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza-porta??

Options
13»

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Focker said:
    I'd like to see ya spin that 12" pie in a 12" mouth.  Classic 7th grade locker room overcompensation.  ;)
    The Roccbox isn’t for children, that is true.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Smarter, not harder.
    https://youtu.be/DcPcWqEMgYc
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Focker said:
    I agree with Zip, and his assessment.  Kenji is full of it.

I had a sh!tty weld on the main body, BS sent out a replacement right away.  Upgraded the motor recently, well worth it for the extra power and turning the pie in the opposite direction IMO.

It takes longer to make the pie, than to preheat and bake.  

When it croaks, I'll buy another.  Then another.

Hacks on the pizzamakingforum who have multi-thousand dollar WFOs have a BS to compliment, and praise it's results, often using it over the WFO.  Some food for thought.

My gripes with the RB.  Price.  Small sub 12", in reality 10" size of the pie.  Uneven heat.  And my biggest, constant spinning.

My boy, at 8, made a cute 12" pie.  Baby steps...

What motor did you upgrade to? Mines been left out in the weather a few times and has gotten sluggish.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Focker
    edited March 2018
    Options
    DMW said:
    Focker said:
    I agree with Zip, and his assessment.  Kenji is full of it.

I had a sh!tty weld on the main body, BS sent out a replacement right away.  Upgraded the motor recently, well worth it for the extra power and turning the pie in the opposite direction IMO.

It takes longer to make the pie, than to preheat and bake.  

When it croaks, I'll buy another.  Then another.

Hacks on the pizzamakingforum who have multi-thousand dollar WFOs have a BS to compliment, and praise it's results, often using it over the WFO.  Some food for thought.

My gripes with the RB.  Price.  Small sub 12", in reality 10" size of the pie.  Uneven heat.  And my biggest, constant spinning.

My boy, at 8, made a cute 12" pie.  Baby steps...

What motor did you upgrade to? Mines been left out in the weather a few times and has gotten sluggish.
    OneGrill Model 4PM05.  I did have to widen the tabs slightly with a flathead screwdriver to fit, no biggie.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Lol
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have a BS and at the two year mark I’m still using the first set of batteries. I live in Canada and it can be cold. This thing is great, don’t let anyone tell you differently!

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I’m thinking pizza porta is the only one you use Rockwood with.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,647
    Options
    GlennM said:
    I have a BS and at the two year mark I’m still using the first set of batteries. I live in Canada and it can be cold. This thing is great, don’t let anyone tell you differently!

Two quick questions.
     Do you leave it outside all year?
     Have any problems with it when the outside temperature is say 10F with 20mph winds?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,513
    Options
    it appears some BS owners are modding with this to reduce stress on the motor ...
    https://www.amazon.com/51205-Thrust-Bearing-25x47x15-Bearings/dp/B002BBGW3K#customerReviews

canuckland
  • Focker
    Options
    it appears some BS owners are modding with this to reduce stress on the motor ...
    https://www.amazon.com/51205-Thrust-Bearing-25x47x15-Bearings/dp/B002BBGW3K#customerReviews

Gary,
    I've got the thrust bearing on my Gen 1 BS.  I recall it not being necessary on the BS models now, Gen 2.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    GlennM said:

Two quick questions.
     Do you leave it outside all year?
     Have any problems with it when the outside temperature is say 10F with 20mph winds?
    I keep it in the garage, the cold is not a problem. I was concerned it might rust outside. Mine is still like new 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,513
    Options
    @Focker Brandon, good to know, thanks. I don't have a BS just wanted to share.
    canuckland
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I seem to recall Zip having some issues with Kenji's review. Could be wrong though. Kenji did pretty much trash the BS, LOL. He was right about one thing, it's UGLY! And definitely not portable. Unless you have a pickup.

Haha, I found @Zippylip's May 2017 comment =) ...

Zippylip said:
    Carolina Q said:
    I just watched Kenji's pizza oven comparison video. That's the first time I'd ever heard any real negatives about the Blackstone. Starting with how ugly it is. haha. Sounds like there are some design/manufacturing issues though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGNJbFQIr5g
    I think this clown is full of sh!t, the 2 he rates higher than the blackstone require longer pre-heat times & constant post-launch spinning of the pie to avoid uneven cooking.  As for quality of build, maybe he got a lemon, mine is a couple hundred pies in without any issues.  But yea the blackstone is uglier than the last chick at a frat party, I'll give him that.
    another year & another crap load of pizzas later & the blackstone continues to perform flawlessly.  I do remember when I put it together thinking that the little motorized unit would be the weak link & even went so far as to find an aftermarket one & had it in my Amazon cart.  Ended up not pulling the trigger on it, figured I'd at least give the stock one a chance & it has surprised me.  The other potential issue I thought would be the stone, it seemed a little thin & maybe prone to exploding under such extreme & rapid heat but again that turned out to be unfounded.  For the couple hundred bucks I spent on this thing I figure I've probably already broken even at least, doesn't owe me a thing at this point, kinda like the Egg...
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania