Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great Ribeyes

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is the first time I've looked at the forum in the evening for quite some time but I like it, gives me a chance to post what I cooked for dinner. Last night was plain old grilled chicken, nothing sophisticated like NB's chicken tonight, just a nice rub and grilled till done. Tonight was marinated ribeyes. I marinated them in olive oil and a nice Q rub for about 48 hours, then threw them on the grill at 350 for about 10 minutes a side. I used a little Montreal Steak seasoning on them just for good measure. Wonderful stuff and they were a big hit with the family. I'm really hooked on the olive oil marinade, it makes the steaks fork tender. If you've not tried it, I would highly recommend giving it a shot.[p]Troy

Comments

• Big Murth
    Options
    sprinter,
    My last 2 Ribeye cooks on the Egg, have been phenomenal, using the mustard, pepper, kosher salt, and lemon pepper coating. However, in my pre-Egg life, I never had many complaints when I Q'd some steaks, that probably benefitted from a similar prep that you just did. Works equally well on pork chops too!
    Each side gets the same treatment..do one side, flip it over and repeat on the other...marinate for 1-12 hours:
    Equal parts olive oil and either red wine vinegar or balsamic. Squirt a little Worcestershire on, maybe a little soy sauce too. Shmooze it around on the steak..and then sprinkle a little hickory smoked salt, lemon pepper, dried oregano or thyme, and some garlic salt too, if you like.
    I think the olive oil AND the vinegar set the stage to really tenderize things, and the dry ingredients impart a nice flavor that almost negate the use of the salt and pepper at the table. Still a great old reliable for me. And if you're fortunate to have some handy, lay some green chile on top, after you've flipped that bad boy...that's eatin' sprinter!! I always enjoy your posts, along with the rest of the gang, everyone's info has really helped me off to a great start Eggin'!! big murth

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    sprinter,[p]How much olive oil do you marinate the steaks in? Just coated or immersed?[p]Carl T

• Big Murth
    Options
    Carl T,
    Carl, it doesn't have to swim in anything. Just a tablespoon or so of the oil (and mix with an equal amount of wine or balsamic vinegar) and spread it around with your finger, and sprinkle with some of your favorite spices. I like some dried oregano or thyme, hickory smoked salt, lemon pepper...maybe some garlic powder/salt. Both sides.
    At least an hour, and more is better (park 'em in the fridge). Next time, your guests will invite "themselves" back for more.

• sprinter
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]As I was eating these steaks, the wife and I were talking and said the exact same thing that you said, some GOOD QUALITY balsamic vinegar and some Worst.... sauce would really taste good on them with the marinade. I've had some balsamic vinegar that tastes like $*&$ but some good stuff would really be nice. Its in the next batch of steaks I do no doubt. Thanks for the info.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    Options
    Carl T,[p]I typically take about a quarter cup of olive oil and pour it over the steaks after they've been rubbed and then squish it around to make sure the steaks are covered well. Then, like was mentioned, "park 'em in the fridge" for awhile. I like a minimum of 24 hours, typically do 48 hours. Really adds something to the steaks.[p]Troy
  • sprinter, curious...what does the marinade with olive oil do? Tenderize or add flavor? Now just so you know you're preaching to the choir here because I never make a pizza for instance that doesn't have 1 T of olive oil painted on and then 1 t of chopped garlic and then Spin's wonderful sauce etc etc etc

• sprinter
    Options
    one feral kat,[p]Gotta be honest with you, not sure HOW it does what it does but it tenderizes the meat amazingly well. I've been hankerin' to look into it a bit to see WHY it tenderizes the meat but have not done so yet. I just use a good quality extra virgin olive oil, nothing flavored etc. The rub seems to work its way into the meat with the olive oil marinade. I've toyed with using a flavored oil, I make some pepper oil and other flavored oils during the summer with the fresh herbs but have not used these oils yet. I imagine that you would get a hint of that flavor if you used it exclusively. Most Q rubs are pretty powerful themselves and if used with the flavord oil, I would think they would overpower whatever herb was in the oil, just my opinion on this.[p]I actually got this idea from Doc Chicken, or at least it was confirmed by him about a year ago. I've been marinading steaks in oil for quite some time. When Doc was young he worked in a steakhouse if memory serves me correctly. He said that the steaks for the customers were acutally put on a sheet pan and marinated in olive oil before they cooked them. At the end of the evening, he could get a steak for dinner and it was generally one of the steaks on the bottom of the pile that had been in the oil for awhike and invariably it was the tenderest steak as it was in the oil for the longest period of time.[p]Long post, sorry for that, but to give the short answer, it tenderizes, not add flavor. Flavored oils used alone with just salt and pepper could be a real neat experiment though and come spring with the fresh herbs I plan on trying it.[p]Troy
  • sprinter, that's interesting.. I usually spray a bit to help hold the rubs when doing steaks, chops and chicken, but haven't tried the soak method on steak..Sounds good.
    Compliments to both you and Doc.
    C~W