Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Boar Ham

NU2BBQ
NU2BBQ Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been asked to cook a Wild Boar Ham. I was asked to do a Pulled Pork with it. Is this possible? I have done a couple of pulled porks so far but not with the meat from the hind leg. Is there anything I should be aware of or careful not to do? Will the traditional method work? I searched the archives and the net but no luck in my quest.[p]Thank you for any advice.[p]

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    BoarUncooked.jpg
    <p />NU2BBQ,[p]I've cooked wild boar roasts in the oven a number of times with really good results. Yesterday I tried to do a small butt portion, about 3.5 lbs, on the Egg. I was aiming at pulled pork, but after 7 hours the best I could do was chopped pork. The particular piece I had was pretty fatty. I rendered off a 16 oz. jar full of fat. I'm inclined to believe that wild boar can be done just about like domestic pig, but it may take a bit longer.[p]WildBoarButtDone.jpg[p]gdenby
  • NU2BBQ, I have cooked several since this summer...B/C the meat is typically quite lean, I choose to cut into managable pieces, usually quarters on a small/med hog, & brine for 2 days...somtimes I inject, sometimes I don't. I cook low & slow, much like a butt, which is similar to your "ham"....if the meat starts looking a bit dry, foil it w/ your liquid of choice, eg, apple juice w/ a splash of bourbon or beer....I cook @ 225 grid temp, target temp of meat is 185..usually wind up cooking 10-12 hours using a fair amt of smoke wood & meat falls off the bone..great flavour....good luck...........

• NU2BBQ
    NU2BBQ Posts: 98
    SkyRider,[p]
    Thanks for the info. I feel better about this now.[p]I won't be cooking this until 11/10 so a results post is a couple of weeks away.[p]Thanks again.