Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PING........Mad Max

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
is there another name for hanger steaks? my meat guy said therer is and if i can get whatever else they are called i thuink i got a good chance of finding some or rather my meat guy will.
thanks
tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Newbs
    Newbs Posts: 188
    Options
    BENTE,[p]I'm not Max, and I may be wrong, but I think I've heard them referred to as skirt steaks.[p]Cheers,[p]John
  • BENTE
    Options
    newbs,
    i don't think thats right. max says he can only get them from one butcher in his area. i have seen skirt steak here. he keeps raving about them and i did see one at eggtoberfest but max had it and i missed it so i am scouring my area looking for a source and someone said they are named something else
    thanks
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    BENTE,
    What Max showed me in ATL didn't look anything like a skirt steak, I can't find them here either. -RP

• BENTE
    Options
    AZRP,
    yea it didnt to me either but i wasn't close enough to it but all the skirt steak i have seen is rather small or dainty(sp) but i went to publix (i LOVE that store!!!) and the ALWAYS friendly meat guys said they are going to speak to the regional guys and apparently they talk to the distributors and see if they can even order me one. if not i will need all the info i can because some of the local guys may not know what i'm talking about. the people at publix said it is a cut near the brisket and since MAX is the "local" expert

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• tn slagamater
    Options
    BENTE, maybe, "flat iron" steak ? We egged some by that name last night.The store sign said it was a new cut. They were awesome, juicy and tender.

• BENTE
    Options
    Tn Slagamater,
    i have never seen them i think i have seen bobby flay use them tho
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    BENTE,
    Hanging Tenderloin, Hanging Tender, Butcher's Steak, Onglet, Butcher's Tenderloin.[p]They come from the same area of cow as the skirt steak.

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    hangerbg.jpg
    <p />BENTE,[p]Well...Max is on the road with "Spawn"...so I'll jump in here.[p]It IS a cut taken from the Brisket and Flap area...(it hangs by the diaphram)...thus it's name!
    Many times it's ground for burger.[p]The pics below are of a couple of pieces about 8 ins long.[p]You can sometimes get as many as 3 this size ,from 1 cut.[p]Below, they've been marinated in brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, pepper, and soy sauce.[p]HangerSteak3.jpg[p]Cooked hot and direct...(much like a skirt steak) and allowd to
    to rest...they are a thing of "Bovine Beauty"!![p]HangerSteak4.jpg[p]Definately...sear'em if you can find'em!![p]HangerSteak6.jpg
    [p]Happy hunting!![p]Evans[p][p]

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • BENTE
    Options
    Chubby,
    thanks Chubby i will save this (if i can) and hopefully publix will come through for me i got a good feeling because they have not failed me yet
    thanks again
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    sweet i am like a sponge with all this info as long as i can ramamber it all (fat chance)LOL!!
    thanks
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    thats cool i saved it to favorites and will go explore some more
    thanks again you always have something cool to contribute to my dumb questions
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    BENTE,[p] Shhhh I am trying to maintain a "he's stoopid" reputation..[p]
  • BENTE
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    i think i got ya beat in that catagoryLOL!!
    have a great sunday
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    BENTE,
    This link shows the cuts. -RP

[ul][li]Hangar Steak[/ul]
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Tn Slagamater,[p]Nope. Flat iron is from the shoulder, I think. Hanger is from the diaphragm. Or vice versa - I can't keep the straight. They are similar in appearance though. I buy mine the same place Max buys his hangers. Flat iron seems to be the "in" thing among restaurants these days.
  • BENTE
    Options
    AZRP,
    thats great thanks!! by the way did you remember who you sold hot tubs to here in anderson sc? i remember talking to you about that in atlanta.
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb