Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg'r Question

Options
Rob H
Rob H Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone. After seeing an Egg in the local pool store and reading everything I could about them, including this great forum, I went back and got one. Well, today's the day for the first firing up of the Egg. I decided to do some baby back ribs and my question is, after reading several different recipes, I'm not sure how long to cook them. Seems like the temp should be around 200-225, but the times go from 2-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours. Do I need to cook by the internal temp of the ribs? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Rob H, at 225 and indirect heat it will be 4-5 hours. At 275-300 it will be about 3 hours. Check out the link below and do a search for Ribs - also check out Tim M's site for more details - I have a link in the BBQ Links section.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ Site[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Options
    Follow-up - don't bother with the internal temp - use the wiggle method - you'll know when they are done.

• Ranger
    Ranger Posts: 9
    Options
    Rob H, Congratulations are in order! My suggestion would be for you to go directly to Tim M's website:www.c21virginia.com/ebay/bbq.htm He does a nice job showing you how to set up your new EGG and carries right through the cooking process with photos and text supporting the times and temps. Best of luck! R1

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Rob H,[p]Ok, lets test drive this baby for you. If you need to see pics od Baby Backs - visit the link below. I assume you are going to cook direct so 225 is your goal temp. I assume you have a daisy top - it wide open and the bottom vent in any opening will get a max temp of 425-450. Start your fire with a fire cube or electric (I avoid the newspaper thing). When the fire is going - and the started thing removed or burnt out - close the bottom vent to 2" and no top yet on the chimney. As the temp gets around 200 - add the daisy half open and bottom vent 1" open. If the temp goes up - close the bottom vent to 1/2'" open. Then fine tune with daisy. Make small adjustments and wait to see the trend. Holding 225-250 will be hard for you at first.[p]Flip ribs every 45 min. Add sauce only for the last 1 hour or it will burn (has sugar in it). Remove that membrane from the bone side (see web site) and cook at 225 for 3 hrs. You'll love them. [p]Tim
    [ul][li]Timmy's place[/ul]
  • Ranger1
    Ranger1 Posts: 48
    Options
    Rob H, See how fast this stuff happens? I neglected to tell you about GFW's website, mainly because I am just beginning to explore that one myself! You will find a ton of people who do some remarkable things with these sites. I think I enjoy posting my flops as much as my winners; these folks love to keep you cookin and they will help you anyway they can. As far as your ribs go, I used Tim's recipe and cooking instructions to the tee and everything has worked well with that many times over. Be sure to remove that membrane like some have suggested. A pair of catfish skinners works well for that job! Good luck, R1

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Rob H,
    Congrats are in order, and welcome to the family!
    Gfw, Ranger 1, and Tim have fixed you up. First ribs I did on the egg were babybacks, and I completed the project successfully just from looking at Tim's web site.[p]Have fun, and careful not to let the fire get too big if you want to hold 225. Step it up slowly until you have it stabilized. You'll get the hang of it in no time. You have a treat coming later on with those ribs. Keep your temps down, and just open the egg when you flip them every 45-60 minutes.[p]Have a blast. Glad to have you around.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    Rob H, since I am the King of the coals, I know you were waiting to hear from me. Heeeee!:) First off, let me also congradulate you on making the best decision of your life, in the outdoor cooking area, that is. Secondly, please consider that even though I am the King of coals, I learned everything from these guys here on the forum. I just wanted to remind you to be flexable in your endevors. Everytime we produce a masterpiece on the egg, we are tempted to recreate the exact same marinades, rubs, temps, and times from then on. Only occasionally is a minor change undesirable. Usually it's positive. My last rib cooking, I changed up some and it produced slightly better results from my previous "perfect results". I had never removed the membrane before and it had never been a problem at all. So I tried it just so I could tell everybody what a waste of time it was. Well, it's hard to improve on perfect ribs, but removing the membrane actually did make a slight difference. I had usually started my ribs out with the membrane side down and it cooked so well that it became very tender and very edible. But without it, the ribs picked up a little more seasoning and smoke. So this slight difference added a tick on the plus side of perfection. I normally cook babybacks at 150 for 6 hours. This last time I cooked them at 200-225 for 3 hours. They were great. Same results in half the time. But don't get hung-up on being the fastest gun. Cooking slow and low is the most satisfying to most of us. That's the best method socializing and allows quality time for you and your guests toss down a few cold internal marinades. I wash my babybacks and pat dry. Then cover them in Prudhommes Pork & Veal seasoning.(that's my favorite, use what you like) I let that sit in a plastic container with a lid all day. That night I sprinkle them liberally with Balsamic Vinegar and close the lid again. Every now and then I open the container and shuffle them around some. By the following morning, they are at your beckoned call. Get your coals ready and somewhat stabilized before putting the ribs on. I don't like to introduce the meat to new smoke as the coals are getting started. I wait for what I call "experienced coals". Have fun and if you hit a snag or are unsure of something, post your question on the forum, open a beer and read the answer.

• Rob H
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I already have Tim's and GFW's sites in my favorites file under "The Egg". I took the membrane off and did the rub thing, the ribs are in Saran wrap in the frig, waiting to go. I'll have to go get a catfish skinner to use on the membrane, I thought there had to be a better way.[p]I do have one more question on this for the eggsperts, I did get the V-rack with my Egg. Does it make any difference to use that instead of placing them flat on the grill? I got a good price on the Egg so I went ahead a got the rack, the cover and the autolock. Of course, it's the cover for the Egg without the lock, so it doesn't fit well. The daisy wheel top came with the Egg. I thought that was the only way to go for controlling the temps.[p]Otherwise, I'll be doing some Egging in Orlando this afternoon. I'll be sure to let you know how this works.[p]Thanks again....
  • Gfw
    Options
    S09_29_9917_43_10.jpg
    <p />Rob H, it sounds like you got a great deal - I've never used a rib rack so I ca't help you there - I usually just throw thm on - the rack (from the other posts that I've seen) really help when you're making LOTS - if you are making LOTS and have Xtras I'll send you the hyperlink to the E-FOOD TRANSFER area and I'll take any leftovers. [p]Regardless of how you actually do them I'm quite sure that they will end up like the ribs in the picture. Good luck and have a great day! [p]
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Rob H,[p]As you can tell from all the great advice, there are many routes to terrific baby backs on the Egg. [p]I do them direct, in a rib rack, at a dome temp of about 250. I don't flip them - just rotate the rack midway through if I think there are hot spots. They usually take 3 to 3.5 hours.[p]Welcome to Eggland -[p]Cathy
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Rob H,[p]Yep, many ways to do ribs - wet, dry, over ceramic, direct, racks, mustard, no mustard, etc. Gee its fun to find which you like best. My first rack of ribs I did were the worst - and they were superb!! Since then I have gotten better at it, as you will too. Ribs are pretty hard to totally screw up so have fun - watch the temps - make small adjustments - peek in from the top (heehee)- and go easy on wood until you see how much you like. Have fun and lets watch St Louis win![p]Tim
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    Gfw, looks like you have the same problems with photography that I do. I always forget to shoot the finished product, until it is REALLY finished,, gulp, burp, ahhhh! :

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Tim M, By golly Tim..your right again and welcome to the forum Rob H...This forum is almost worth the price of the egg. Tim...I will think of you when the Ram's cart the big one off the field...If not..then I will be cooking crow for supper tonight..late, late supper..What wine goes good with crow???
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    King-O-Coals, I like Paul P's stuff too. Got all 5 of his packs in the spice closet..You touched on a subject that is dear to my heart...OOOOOOH...Pulling membrane's..I will post on it..I do 5 loinback membrane pull's in under a minute. Timed it a while back..rangeing from 16 seconds to 5 seconds per rib.
    Ya gotta hold your mouth, and everything else just right
    :-)
    C~W[p]

• Teslamania
    Options
    Rob H,[p]Welcome. Of course, you know that if you invert the "V" rack it will become a rib rack. When I use a rib rack it is because I need the room for multiple racks of ribs. Otherwise you can cook'm flat and flip the ribs - bone side to meat and vice versa every 45 min or so. Also, don't forget to rotate the ribs over the fire (I usually use the ash tool to rotate the grid) so that the ribs will avoid any hot spots. Good luck on your first cook - like Tim said, my first ribs were my worst - and they were great!

• Rob H
    Options
    Well, i did it! Thanks for the advice. I didn't have any trouble holding 225. The ribs were great, but I think I can do better. Darn, I just going to have to keep practicing....