Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am VERY new and would like some tips and easier recipes to smoke

Options
13»

Comments

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    BigBlackV said:
    Ok so it’s been a while guys sorry. Got a new butt it’s just only 9lbs bone in. 1.5 hours per pound till what temp inside or till the bone just moves freely..? 

Any new tips? 

Until it probes like butter. Usually above 200

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    One thing you must do when smoking any type of meat :: DRINK PLENTY OF ADULT BEVERAGES ! Stay hydrated my friend !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I agree: pork butt is a great choice!  I also side with those who say no liquid.  I've never put liquid in a drip pan in my BGEs because they keep meat moist without having to mess with it.

I want to emphasize:  do NOT use temperature to tell whether the meat is done or not when smoking a pork butt.  Probe it with a thermometer, a skewer, even a fork, all over and when it probes "like buttah" it's done, regardless of its internal temperature, and regardless of the time it took.  Some chunks of meat seem to cook quite differently than other seemingly identical pieces of meat.  If there's much resistance when you poke it with a skewer or whatever, it ain't done, yet.

No one has said much about sauces, yet.  Many folks use at least a little sauce to give smoked pulled pork just a little tang, but feel like a regular BBQ sauce will cover up too much of the pork flavor.  Here's a popular recipe for a NC-style vinegar sauce.  It's very light, mostly vinegar, and you don't need to put on a lot, but I really like this.  I usually stir a little in when I've just shredded the pork, but many people put in on the meat in the bun, and with a little cole slaw.
    Elder Ward’s Traditional North Carolina BBQ Sauce

1 cup white vinegar 
    1 cup cider vinegar 
    1 tablespoon sugar (Demerara/raw, preferably) 
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (I think he means fresh, chopped hot red chiles, so try maybe 1/4 tsp or so of ground cayenne powder and adjust to taste)
    1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce 
    1 teaspoon kosher salt 
    1 teaspoon cracked black pepper 

DIRECTIONS:

Place in a bottle with small neck that will allow you to shake it out a little at a time. 

NOTE:  Elder Ward: "This would be from my mothers side of the family who are a bunch of flatlanders near the coast. We only came down out of the hills to see them just enough to keep the peace in the family and my mother from running back home for good. She hated the mountains. We all loved her folks."

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited March 2018
    Options
    A simple but awesome cook is to slow roast some dark chicken quarters indirect. Use your favorite rub, or try MONTREAL Chicken if you need something from the local grocer. Hickory or a fruit chunk or two for some smoke flavor at about 250-270 indirect.

Simple...will take 2.5 -3 hours depending on the size of the quarter. Welcome and just start grillin. You will learn something with each cook.

Go for greatness!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 
    Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 
    Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 
    If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.
     I don't cook over the 100 minutes. 
    Be sure your temp gauge is correct.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    edited March 2018
    Options
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Exactly. So tempting but the kinder, gentler Centex is trying to steer clear of controversy. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX