Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Regarding salt grinders....

Options
2»

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited March 2018
    Options
    He guys I found a really cool app called grinder on my phone.  I think some of you guys should check it out.  Some really neat stuff in there.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    He guys I found a really cool app called grinder on my phone.  I think some of you guys should check it out.  Some really neat stuff in there.
    Click Bait Winner
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I certainly don't know the answer to that but it is a great question. Like asparagus pee. 15% of the population can't smell it. I find that it table salt has a very sharp flavor. Not bad like it ruins anything but not the sweetness I get from some of the sea salts.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    for fast dissolves, try pickling salt. Very fine, dissolves easily. I use it when I brine. Works very well.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I guess I could have gone into a dissertation on the size of the salt granule for different foods, like scrambled eggs or a dinner salad. I'll leave it at that.
    I understand your point now; thank you and I concede.   ;)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    No concession necessary. We all have different tastes, not bad or good, just different. 

To veer off off the subject slightly. People make fun of Rachel Ray, Guy Fieri and sometimes Emeril. If any of them entice people to eat better then their job is done. So many people don’t have a clue how to cook. Grating fresh cheese on Hamburger Helper is outside the box to them. Pun not intended. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    Grated fresh cheese on Hamburger Helper....mind blown, im making that tonight =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We don't use iodized salt. 

I do go through a lot of pickling salt, which is just sodium chloride and nothing else.  Use for pickling, brines, curing, etc.

For everything else, it's mostly sea salt, but we have some mined mineral salts.

They all have subtle differences.  The grind is important if the salt does not completely dissolve, like you want pretzels to have large crystals because it's part of the pretzel to crunch on salt.  Flake salts are light and look good.

Low sodium salt (potassium chloride) tastes awful to me.

There are thousands of salts, mixtures of various minerals, anions and cations. 

But if you just want to add sodium, pickling salt (pure salt) is just fine.