Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Polder Positioning

Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help me out on this: Are you supposed to run the probe wire out the side (between the dome and the bottom half of the Egg)...or out through the top/Daisy wheel? Seems like I've seen pictures doing both. Also, how many wraps of aluminum foil, are recommended to insulate the wire, a whole sheet's worth? less? You can always tell the newbies, eh? Thanks for the continuing ed, friends!!
Big Murth in New Mexico

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Big Murth,
    Are you the poster from Corrales? Great spot.... I recall a great restaurant there. Wish that we were headed to the Fiery Foods Show again this year. We exhibited at the first one & many more after that. JCA

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Big Murth, I`m sure you could exit the egg with the metal cord out the top or side.....I choose under the lid...
    That way your not wrestling with it when ya open the lid..[p]just wrap the cord with enough foil to cover it, you don`t need to bulk it right up..a couple of wraps otta do it..[p]Just put enough foil so it comes outside the Egg, It`s not necessary to go all the way to the unit...make sure you wrap it in the area where the cord goes into the probe sleeve..[p]The area of the foil covered cord thats going to be between the lid and body should be flattened down as much as possible to avoid leaving a permanent dent in the felt liner....(just squish it with your fingers)...[p]I hope this helps..[p]Mop![p]

• J Appledog,
    yup, we're in Corrales...just on the north side of Albuquerque..in the Rio Grande Valley. 70 degrees today!!
    I'll bet the restaurant you went to was the Rancho de Corrales (formerly the Territorial House)--lots of atomosphere and damned good food, specializing in Carne Adovada (pork marinated in red chile), or their Green Chile Rellenos, or many others, plus some killer margaritas. About 200 year old building, where the one-eyed Indian sharpshooter killed the jealous husband who murdered his playin' around wife, certain nefarious individuals swung by the neck from the huge mulberry tree in the courtyard, and there are old graves along the ditchbank on the west side of the property, and as they say...the place is probably haunted. The only haunting I know of, is when I'm lurking around the joint for a quick pop or two on the way home!!
    Adios!
    Steve Murtha/Big Murth

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Big Murth,[p]A year or so ago I ran a test with 6-7 Polder probes in many places in my large Egg while cooking at 300 deg. dome temp. I had a probe in the chimney and it was the hottest place measured. In fact, I removed that probe because I was worried about "cooking" it with temps over 375 deg. I would never run a Polder cable down the chimney unless you are under 200 deg dome temp and then I still wouldn't. The chimney temp was approx 75-125 deg more than the dome temp (as I recall from memory). I would avoid it.[p]Tim
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Tim M,
    I would tend to agree with you..! The cable is meant to be used thru a seal, in stove ovens as well. I find it odd that you have seen that great a difference in the stack temperature vs dome thermometer temperatures. My Dome thermometer reads about 15 degrees to 20 degrees difference when I use both at the same time. I insert the probe tip a inch or two inside the daisy leaving the loop of the probe hanging over the edge of the daisy. Or slider if you will.
    Its kinda fun to watch the digital display float with the movement of the lower vent opening.
    You have me curious about those big variations in temperature readings. I will look at it with Cats potato method and the upper dome temp for a re-check...Thanks for the observant view.
    Cheers to ya...
    C~W