Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ADDING FUEL

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Am thinking about purchasing my first EGG after many years as a Weber kettle man! One question, for now, how does one ADD charcoal when doing long -term cooking recipes? Is there bottom loading access to the fire or is the fuel added from the top?

Comments

• brick
    brick Posts: 6
    Options
    You can cook for 24 hours on one full load
  • Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    RLS,[p]I can get 22 hours out of one load of charcoal @ 225 using Wicked Good Charcoal and my BBQ Guru. I have smoked fresh, ripe jalapenos turning them into chipoltes. This took 26 hours @ 160 degrees and had charcoal left over.
  • Wyldwood
    Options
    RLS,
    I don't know, I've never had to add charcoal during a cook. This a different cooker from a Weber (although I really did like my Weber kettle). The Egg is so fuel efficient that I can do an overnight cook and have lots left over for several shorter cooks.

• Why1504,Thanks for responding so quickly! It sounds like you don't ever have to ADD charcoal for cooking anything! Is that right? If so, It sounds like the BGE would pay for itself by saving on "lump", as I currently go through tons of carcoal a year, even here in Mass.
  • MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Options
    RLS,
    On the 4th of July, I did pork butts for 19 hours followed by baby back ribs for 5 hours (total 24 hours), all on one load of lump. The BGE is the way to go. Plus the support you get on this forum is priceless.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    RLS,
    you won't need to add any.
    i once was a little nervous about how much i needed and filled it pretty high.[p]did a 24 hour bunch of butts, followed by a brisket for about 6 hours. used the remaining lump on a steak cook, followed by a spatchock chicken...[p]i added more after that, but not because it ran out, just to top it off

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • MakoBBQ,
    That's unbelievable! I guess my questions are, What do you mean by a "load" of charcoal? How much charcoal does an Egg need? I'm begining to believe that you just dump in the same amount each time you cook,regardless if you're cooking burgers or roasts, and regulate the temp and burn time by controling the dampers. Any other advice? RLS

• MakoBBQ
    Options
    RLS,
    When I know I have a low and slow cook ahead of me, I clean out the Egg of all the ashes and left over lump. I dont just dump the lump in the Egg. I painstakingly place the lump in the egg at first to insure good airflow thru out the cook. When cooking all night, a good stable fire is neccessary. A full load if almost to the top of the fire ring. Its maybe a 3rd of a bag of BGE charcoal maybe less. Also after cooking 24 hours, you will be very surprised at the little amount of ashes that was produced.

• Wyldwood
    Options
    RLS,
    I fill it up to the top of the fire ring with lump charcoal whenever I put some in for short or long cooks. The high of the Egg makes it unlikely you will ever offset the initial cost with saving of the cost of charcoal, but the food is great and the support on this forum is extraordinary! We are having a department potluck for dia de los muertas and they won't let me bring anything but pulled pork.

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    stike, I agree! I have gone for over 24 hours on one load of lump in my large BGE. I packed a lot of lump in there and everything went great. I too had lump left over. The egg is very fuel efficient. Now, if I could on buy a car that was this efficient! hahaha[p]BeerMike
    I think it's time for another beer!

BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • MakoBBQ
    Options
    BeerMike,
    Funny you chimed in, I was just going for another beer.

• MakoBBQ,
    I'm currently using a chimney starter w/my kettle. If you stack the coals by hand, how do you light them?? Thanks again.
    RLS

• BeerMike
    Options
    MakoBBQ, What kind ya drinking tonight? For me it's Capital Brewery Amber Ale. [p]BeerMike
    Beers to all ya!

BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
  • BeerMike
    Options
    RLS, I put the lump in and use a propane torch to get the fire going. I start the lump in 3 areas using the torch for about 30 seconds in each spot. [p]BeerMike
    Beer is my favorite food!

BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
  • MakoBBQ
    Options
    RLS,
    I only stack by hand if i'm doing an overnight cook. For steaks, burgers and chicken (short cooks) i'm not so careful. I also use a chimney to start the lump. Fill it up 3 quarters of lump and three pages of newspaper, and i have a good fire in the chimney in 10-12 minutes. Then i just dump the contents of the chimney on top of the lump. I let a good fire establish, then adjust the top daisy wheel and lower damper to get the temp i need.

• MakoBBQ
    Options
    BeerMike,
    Just Dos Equis for me tonight. At least its beer!

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    RLS,
    One thing we may be taking for granted is the fact that one can shut the dampers, put out the fire quickly, and save any unused lump for the next cook. I'm not sure from the thread that you got that.
    I just started cooking on a large after having a medium. It took about 6 or 7 pounds of lump to fill to the top of the fire ring, and this was very dense (Wicked Good Comp. Blend) lump. A three hour cook at 350 used about a double handfull of that.
    One piece of advice--start with a large. Then you won't have to upgrade like I did.

• BeerMike
    Options
    MakoBBQ, There's nothing wrong with that beer. They may spell it differently down there, but it's still BEER![p]BeerMike
    When I die, bury me with beer! Oh ya, and an opener! Or at least twist off bottles. What the hay, bury me with a few kegs and a tap!

BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
  • Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    RLS,[p]I would expect it will be the last grill you you will ever buy. I have had mine six years. That is until you buy another egg!! Yes the are quite a wonderful device. I would have worn out 3 gassers in the last 6 years and gone through several hundered dollars of propane. I use quite a bit of lump. I buy different brands of lump for different cooks. Check out the Naked Whiz's site he has an extensive charcoal database on his site. (I think it is nakedwhiz.com but not sure). Just get a large for your first purchase.
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    RLS,
    I'm sure the previous posts gave you answers, but I have gone well over 24 hrs with out adding anything... not that going that long is ok. You always have to consider temps of meat and such... but that will start a fire storm...[p]Do it. period.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    RLS,[p]I'm not sure if you know this...but there is a difference between "lump" vs "briquets" AKA kingford....?![p]The briquets are made from charcoal...coal dust...and other fillers...so they make a lot more ash..[p]Lump burns hotter and longer and there is very little ash..[p]I have a kettle grill and have used "lump" and was surprised with the difference in how the old girl cooked..[p]But the Egg is by far better and is well worth the price...