Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many pizzas can you cook in a single night?

Options
I'm pretty happy with how my pizzas are turning out on the Egg. Tonight I made pepperoni / mushroom for the kid (not pictured), asparagus, and potato/rosemary pies. But after heating the stone up for an hour before starting to cook, by the time I got to the third pie the temperature was impossible to sustain (I tend to try to cook them around 600 or so, and I imagine that just is going to burn through a lot of fuel). How many pies can you guys handle in a single cook? Any recommendations?

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I do four in a night and have had similar issues with the fire petering out. I think I will reduce the clean burn stage and not let the temps get nuclear. That ought to double my capacity or alternatively let me increase my cooking temps from ~500 to ~750.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I've done 6 at about 450 - 500.  That seems to be the sweet spot for the thickness of the pies I make.  They take about 10 minutes each so with time for shuffling on the off the grill, etc. I guess the egg was at that temp for about 90 minutes.

The key is probably keeping the time between pies to a minimum - although you need a few minutes (maybe 5) for the stone to heat back up.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    I’ve done 6 at 750. Could have kept going
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    I think the current estimate on the RB is that it can do about 30 pies... in an hour.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • eznosow
    eznosow Posts: 10
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    I’ve done 6 at 750. Could have kept going
    Wow--that's amazing. No way could I do that. Can you tell me about your set up, as well as how long (and at what temp) you preheat your stone etc.? I assume you're using a large, and just filling the box up to the top of the line? Thanks.