Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Update on My New Grill Toys

BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I invited a buddy over for dinner last night and he brought his camera, so I got some shots showing my new grill system and a fun cook.[p]The first picture is the "whole nine yards" on the new grill with one of the new grill extenders in place. You can see the chicken breasts (2) and thighs (6) as well as a roasted tater, the onion with jalapeno pepper, butter and soy sauce and the roasted peppers.[p]I did not set out to do anything special -- dusted the chicken with DP, Shaking the Tree (great stuff) and cooked the chicken direct at 300-350, for about 1 1/4 hours. You could hear the skin on the thighs crunch when you cut it and when you chewed it. Probably will never get it that good again![p]10-27-06Wholenineyardsonextendedgri.jpg[p]The second picture shows the "feet" on the second part of the extended grill. These babies fit like a glove![p]10-27-06FeetonExtendedGrill.jpg[p]The third picture is "yours truly" turning the peppers.[p]10-27-06BobCooking.jpg[p]No, 4 shows a bit more detail about the onion I cooked with a piece of a jalapeno pepper inside. The pepper did a number on the onion and the onion did a number on the pepper, This is a MUST DO cook that is EASY!!![p]10-27-06OnionwithJap.jpg[p]Here is a bit more detail to show the tater, onion, peppers and chicken. [p]10-27-06Chictatersonionpeppers.jpg[p]Finally, here is a shot of the table just before we dove in head first! I made Caesar Salad and added a nice red wine to finish the meal.[p]10-27-06ReadytoEat.jpg

Comments

• Bobs, man that looks great. You will love having the additional half grid for cooking. It works great as a warming ledge, cooking steaks to varing degrees of doneness and just keeping different foods organized. Let me know how you like the stainless. T

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Sandbagger,
    Is that one of your creations Tom? -RP

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Sandbagger,
    Been thinking about getting another large cooking grid and chopping it in half for use with the rig you made for me.
    Bob

• bobbyb, By all means you can but it needs to be a BGE grid. I recommend cutting your old one though and using the new one whole. Just cut the grid so you only make four cuts: two cuts on outer band; one cut on both inner support rods. Then just place the new grid on the fire ring, rig on it, and half grid on rig.

• BobS
    Sandbagger,
    So far I love the grills! They make great grill marks on steaks and using the Billy Bar (made for 3/8" bars)as well as a good coat of PAM, I have had no trouble cleaning them. I have two of those half grates, so get a lot of cooking area. Since they are made of 1/4" bar, they are easy to move around, but when using only one, there is no problem accessing the food -- especially when cooking in the raised grate position to begin with.

• AZRP, no that is Bob's handi-work. Sure looks good doesn't it. I know he'll enjoy using it. For me, I never really plan to cook with 1-1/2 grids. It just happens. T

• Bobs, I can dig it...time for me to hit the garage and burn some stainless. T

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Bobs,
    Mighty nice grid setup, should last a lifetime with heavy duty stainless. Ya just can't help but cook better on a rig such as yours,.... makes the whole cooking eggsperience more enjoyable, I bet. Nice pic's.
    Clay

• BobS
    ClayQ,
    You know about boys and their toys....[p]I have a lot of fun with my rig and the Egg certainly cooks everything well, but it at the end of the day my stuff does not cook any better than the standard BGE grill with the standard grill extender. [p]The thing I like best is cooking most things on a raised grill -- at the level of the opening.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Bobs,
    I agree on the hight, easy to move food around and heat has a chance to spread out creating better cooking results,.... I'm also a big fan of multiple grid levels. Impressive, beautiful welding work on your setup.
    Clay

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Sandbagger,
    Tom, appreciate the advice.
    Bob

• T-Que
    T-Que Posts: 44
    Bobs,
    Wow, dont know which gets me going the most, the grill extender or the food?? That Onion?? Looks like you peeled and partially cored a Vidallia and then added the jalapeno. Did you peel or clean the pepper of seeds? Then did you ass butter, boullion, garlic????
    Next, when are those snazzy grill extenders hitting the market fo us welding challenged eggers???[p]Thx
    T-Que

• BobS
    T-Que,
    I cored out the onion (just a regular, large white 'cause that's all I could get); cut the jalapeno in half and cut out the seeds and stuffed it full of butter; then I filled the remaining cavety with Magi sauce (could substitute soy sauce and perhaps a dash of Worstershire.

• T-Que
    T-Que Posts: 44
    Bobs,
    Thanks, sounds like an idea to start with for Sunday dinner.
    TQ