Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8 briskets and 30 racks boss's house - for worldwide colleagues. What could possibly go wrong?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Looks awesome! Those guest will be chasing this level of excellence the rest of their lives. Good luck to them!
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Smokin' your way to the top I see...   well played!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    @SGH, if this is not seal worthy, nothing is!
    New Albany, Ohio 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Congrats.  Way to excel across the board.  Now to get that black tie rig to the cleaners.  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I’m supposed to cook for 13 members of a high school golf team in a few weeks, and I felt a bit nervous .  And here you cook 30 racks of ribs AND 8 briskets.  

Thats major league effort, man. Nice work and Congrats on nailing it! 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    SaltySam said:
    I’m supposed to cook for 13 members of a high school golf team in a few weeks, and I felt a bit nervous .  And here you cook 30 racks of ribs AND 8 briskets.  

Thats major league effort, man. Nice work and Congrats on nailing it! 

Some of them had heard of this Tiger Woods character I suspect. He was almost as good as Spieth they say????
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Nicely done sir!! =)
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Geez. This is absolutely incredible. I do not know if I would be even a decent helper in such an enterprise.
    Congrats on bringing this cook home. Definite separation from men and boys with BBQ right here.
    Lifting a glass to you and your team. OUTSTANDING, SIR!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    I think most of us have a pretty good sense of the challenge of pulling something like this off.  Nicely done.  Those ribs looked perfect to me!  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    great work! how many people did you feed???
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    Thanks again for all of the kind comments.  @blind99, we ended up feeding about 120.  

We also served 3 different Texas wines from Becker Vineyards - each of which has won a gold medal in some wine competition, some of which came from Richard Becker's private stash.

And we had 3 kegs of Texas beer - Shiner Bock, Freetail IPA, and St. Arnold's seasonal offering.

@SaltySam, good luck with your golf team cook.  The day you don't sweat the details of an upcoming event, regardless of size, is the day that you come up short.  But don't forget to enjoy the journey.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Fantastic job on such a massive undertaking, particularly coming from the "I'll just bring the beer" guy. I also see you picked up some rib tricks from the comp team you've hung with. 

I'm glad it all turned out so well. Congratulations. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    lousubcap said:
    Congrats.  Way to excel across the board.  Now to get that black tie rig to the cleaners.  =)
    Yes, @lousubcap, I definitely have to take my tux to the cleaners.  My wife and daughter both felt the need to let me know that when I got to the site to help set up the cook, and then changed into my tux for the Friday dinner, that I had to shower first because having a smoky smell to the formal wear would not be an enhancement.

I'm still puzzled by that comment.

@20stone, thanks.  Yes, I've picked up some rib tricks from some competitions.  They served me well.  And just because I'm the "I'll just bring the beer" guy when we get together, that doesn't mean I'm not capable of more.  When I hang with you and @caliking, and @The Cen-Tex Smoker, I'm happy to just soak up what I can learn (and eat) from you guys.  But make no mistake, it is you guys and a lot of other members of this forum that have inspired me to do cooks like this.  For that I am grateful.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Dan, let me be the first to say that we prefer the more beery, less sentimental , side of you. 

Having said that, I doubt that shindig would have been anywhere close to what it ended up being , had it not been for your sweat equity. 

And “sweating the details” helps both professionally and personally. The day you don’t do that, is the day you should quit. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    That is a great cook. I’m sure it was tiresome as well as nerve-wracking at times, but epic in the end. It’s always great fun to see folks enjoy the fruits of such hard labor. I hope you enjoyed a few adult beverages and had the opportunity to bask and linger a bit in your success. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Foghorn
    @SciAggie, in addition to sampling the beers and wines mentioned above, the cooking team shared shots of Eagle Rare to celebrate the last item off the grills and the completion of a task well done.  I'm not much of a whiskey drinker, but it was very good stuff.  

@caliking, I'll work on being more beery and less sentimental.  It shouldn't be hard.

San Antonio, TX

• tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    WOW...just WOW.... I am impressed beyond words. Just magnificent effort.
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    That’s just incredibly incredible... :clap:
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Very impressive indeed.  Major feather in your cap on this one.  

I suspect I'm too lazy and anti social to feed that many people.
    Phoenix 
  • Foghorn
    A few notes and thanks.

Thanks @blasting, @XC242, @tml1230, @SciAggie, @caliking, @20stone, @The Cen-Tex Smoker, @blind99, @YukonRon, @JohnInCarolina, @GrillSgt, @Hotch, @pgprescott, @GoooDawgs, @THEBuckeye, @SaltySam, @lousubcap, @Killit_and_Grillit, @Ozzie_Isaac, @bgebrent, @johnnyp, @JohnnyTarheel, @DMW, @Legume, @thetrim, @SandyHookEgger, @westernbbq, @texaswig, @StillH2OEgger, and @Ozzie_Isaac for your kind comments.

@pgprescott, I do suspect that many of them are now spoiled when it comes to BBQ.  I bet you do the same when you do demos at your shop.

@YukonRon, thank you for raising a glass.  I suspect it was a glass of a very good vintage.  

@THEBuckeye, it seems that SGH is AWOL these days.  But it's all good.  This cook was its own reward.

@GoooDawgs and @thetrim, without going into personal detail, this was really a case of showing my boss how much I appreciate his support because while, on one level he's my boss, on other (national) levels, because of his support, he's my peer and/or I outrank him.  But it wouldn't have happened without his support.  I've worked for him my entire professional career (22 years so far) and I can't imagine a better situation/boss/peer/mentor/friend. (sorry for getting sentimental @caliking)

@Killit_and_Grillit, this definitely made me tired.  I was worthless yesterday.

Thanks again to all for the kind comments.

San Antonio, TX

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Impressive cook. Congrats

• Foghorn
    edited March 2018
    @lousubcap, with regard to the offset and the airflow issues, I think I've figured out a few things over the past week about offsets.  I spent one evening last week talking to a pitmaster at a local restaurant (B-Daddy's for anyone visiting San Antonio) while touring their pits.  I also spent some time yesterday at a craft fair with my wife and mother-in-law so I gravitated to guys with the smoker on their food truck to ask them about their smoker design.

And this was my 3rd time cooking on this particular smoker with my friend who owns it.  My friend is a great cook and the smoker was crucial to our success so I don't want to sound disparaging, but this smoker is not ideal for big cooks like this one.  It is great for 2-3 briskets (or equivalent) plus some stuff in the warming cabinet.  However, once we had 4 briskets in the horizontal chamber, the temperature drop from near the firebox to the vertical cabinet was severe.  It was challenging to get above 150 degrees in the vertical chamber.  We were hoping for 275-290 in the horizontal and 225 or so in the vertical, but that never materialized.  

Even if we didn't overload the horizontal segment by putting briskets two deep across it I think there are 2 basic issues that could be improved significantly.  1) The horizontal segment is too long relative to the width of the pipe that was used.  Even with tuning plates, once there is any cold meat in the smoker, there is a significant temperature gradient across the chamber.  2) I think that 2 small exhaust pipes (4" each) probably don't create enough draft to pull the hot air down to the vertical cabinet.   

I now realize that when looking at an offset, one can't just ask the question "how much meat can I cram into the cooking space?".  It is too dependent on airflow.  That can work in a kamado.  Some of the pics above show how full some of the kamados were with 5 racks of ribs.  But it is a totally different system that holds heat well and requires only a little heat to be added over time.  But in an offset, there needs to be room for a significant portion of the hot air to move across the meat without losing too much heat and be able to keep moving to the next hunk of meat.  As a result, the width of the pipe and the diameter and height of the exhaust stack are critical.  Prior to this, I naively took them for granted.  My buddy who owns this smoker is thinking about these issues as he considers a possible upgrade.  On his next one, he probably won't get a vertical cabinet.  Although I'm going to suggest that he consider getting one with the vertical cabinet over the firebox...

I welcome thoughts from other owners of offsets to see if my thinking on this is correct.

Also, I have to say that while the briskets didn't take on a lot of heat during their 10 hours on the offset (they were all between 135 and 150 after 10 hours), they did take on smoke - which was the goal - and the end result was fantastic.   

But as we were moving meat around to get it to others grills for finishing, I was thinking "it sure would be nice if I had one of Aaron Franklin's (or B-Daddy's) giant offsets where I could just leave the brisket in one place and not have them stacked on each other - and not have to worry about moving a brisket wrapped in butcher paper that has a bunch of flammable "brisket juice" in the bottom of it that spills onto the fire while I'm trying to get access to the brisket below it..."  

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @Foghorn - Very informative and useful write-up.  You definitely did a in-depth analysis of the smoker and your run thru the weekend.  I didn't realize that the warming box was opposite the fire-box.   What you offer makes sense to me but I'm only a back-yard stick-burner on a small rig.  
    Thanks for the follow-up.  You definitely make some great points to consider for those looking into stick-burners.

On a different note- congratulations on what sounds like an exceptional business relationship.  As you are well aware, you are very fortunate in that regard.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    @lousubcap, yes. Here’s a pic of the smoker.  And yes I realize how fortunate I am in my work situation.  

San Antonio, TX

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    Speechless!!!
    canuckland
  • Foghorn
    Thanks @Canugghead!

San Antonio, TX

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    @Foghorn

I would be guessing, but what was the temp in the vertical cabinet? (~150-200)?

We cooked on a Lang 60 with the warmer box right above the fire box for several years.  We never tried to cook in the vertical chamber of the Lang due to the fact; in order to accomplish the necessary temps, we would have to increase the main cooking chamber to an unacceptable temperature. When in competitions with the Lang, we found it was best to get the meat to ~5 degrees from where we wanted it in the main chamber and then place it in the vertical chamber to continue to climb. I have no idea the physics on how the heat moves, but we figured out its actual idiosyncrasies with about 6 cooks. We also found, with the lang, the temperature variations varied greatly with just a few degrees of incline on the tongue. Also humidity was a real pain in the ass when it came to stick burners. 

All the reason I bought a Stumps Stretch and a Stoker.

From the above picture, raise the warming box side a few degrees, remove the covers over the stacks, prop the door open closest tot he warming box ~1/4 inch, and open the firebox vents as much as they will open...

If your still having low temp issues, get a box fan and blow air perpendicular at the fire box as to not blow ash all over the product...

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Spillin
    Spillin Posts: 75
    That was an amazing feat!  Bravo!!.  On a side note I am assuming that you didn't cook on site so transport must have been a challenge as well
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • Foghorn
    edited March 2018
    @billt01, thank you.  That is very useful information.  Yes, we only got to about 150 in the vertical.  The techniques you suggest sound helpful.

Unfortunately, the covers over the stack screw up and down, but not all the way off.  I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time.  At this point, they seem somewhat rusted so we can't get them open any further.  They do seem to impede airflow somewhat.  If I were buying an offset I would get a different type of stack cover.

@Spillin, thank you.  We did in fact cook on site.  That is my boss's driveway and his BGE.   He's the one who first turned me on to the BGE years ago.  I doubt that he had this in mind when he did.

We sliced everything by the grills and put it into aluminum pans and just took the pans into the kitchen for serving.  The servers always had a full pan in reserve and when they started serving from it they would send us a message to slice another pan of meat.  It worked very well.  The brisket was still moist when it was served for about 90% of those eating.  At the end of the meal some of the stragglers got meat that had been sitting out for a while (maybe an hour) so it wasn't quite as moist as if it was sliced to order, but it was still very good.

San Antonio, TX