Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking mullet fish dip

bbqdiva
bbqdiva Posts: 192
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,[p]Man, I wish I had made the Eggfest in Atlanta! I had a Halloween party I was hosting and could not come :( I'm going to be in Plant City cooking with a team in the next couple weeks though :) Anywhoo, I have a couple good sized Mullet here, and I thought I would smoke them for some good fish dip. #1) How do you guy recommend I smoke them, never done before and #2) I need a good fish dip recipe![p]Regards,[p]bbqdiva

Comments

• bbqdiva,[p]This is the recipe that most people in my neck of the woods use. It comes right off the Mullet Festival web site!!![p]Smoked Mullet (Serve with MulletFestival.com Hot Sauce)[p]5 pounds mullet butterfly fillets
    (or 3 pounds Spanish mackerel fillets for those of you that can't get fresh mullet from Choctawhatchee Bay)
    1 gallon water
    1 pound hickory branches or chips
    2 quarts water
    1 cup salt[p] [p]Make a brine solution by combining 1 gallon of water and salt (real salt). Stir until the salt is dissolved. Place the fish in the brine and let soak refrigerated for about 30 minutes.[p] [p]Remove the fish from the brine; rinse thoroughly and dry.[p]If you live around Niceville, gather some dried hickory branches. If there isn't a hickory tree in your neighbor's yard, get yourself some of those store-bought hickory chips and soak them in 2 quarts of water for several hours or overnight. Keep the chips in a cool place to keep them from taking on a mildew or sour aroma.[p] [p]To smoke fish, use a hooded or covered charcoal, electric or gas grill. The heat must be kept low. if using charcoal, fewer briquettes are necessary than for regular grilling. Cover charcoal or ceramic briquettes with approximately 1/3 of the wet chips. The wet chips provide lower temperatures and create smoke which flavors the fish. The remaining chips should be added as needed throughout the cooking process.[p] [p]Place the butterflied fish or fish fillets, skin side down, on a well-greased grill approximately 4 to 6 inches from the smoking fire. Close the hood on the grill and open vent slightly to keep smoke and air circulating. Smoke fish approximately 1 hour at 150 degrees to 175 degrees, or for about 30 to 45 minutes at 200 degrees. The fish is done when the cut surface is golden brown and the flesh flakes easily when tested with a fork. Makes six servings.[p]After you smoke the mullet you make your dip!!![p]Smoked Mullet Spread[p]1-1/2 pounds smoked mullet[p]2 teaspoons minced onion[p]2 teaspoons finely chopped celery[p]1 clove garlic, minced[p]2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet pickle[p]1-1/4 cups mayonnaise[p]1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard[p]Dash of Worcestershire sauce[p]2 tablespoons chopped parsley[p] [p]Remove skin and bones from mullet. Flake the fish well. Mix all ingredients together and chill at least one hour. Makes approximately 3-1/2 cups of mullet spread.

[ul][li]Smoked Mullet[/ul]
  • bbqdiva
    Heya FSUScotsman,[p]Hum....FSU? Should I trust you? :P Awesome, thanks a bunch was about to light the egg....so you think I have to brine those buggers?[p]Thanks,[p]
    thediva

• bbqdiva,[p]Sniff.....Sniff.....I smell a Gator!!! LOL!!![p]I've seen it done both ways. Considering how low the temp is to do them though I don't see why, especially considering that you are going to tear them up to put them into a dip. It would be another matter if you were going to serve great big filets.

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    bbqdiva,[p]Ok here's a dumb question.... what is a mullet? I always thought it was a bad hairstyle! :)
  • bbqdiva
    Heya AlaskanC,[p]OMG, that's so funny. I dated a guy with a mullet once. Once, I said! I've attached a link to a pic of a mullet. They are very fishy saltwater fish. I live in Florida. The smaller ones are used for bait here.[p]Regards,[p]thediva
    [ul][li]Mullet[/ul]
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    AlaskanC,[p]For someone with your seagoing experience, I am astonished by your question! LOL! Nevertheless, here's a definition (including your haircut) and a link to a site with a photo.[p]Mullet
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[p]Mullet may refer to:[p] * Mullet, a kind of fish (family Mugilidae), of which the most widely known species is the grey mullet, Mugil cephalus
    * Red mullet, a quite different fish, genus Mullus
    * Mullet, a haircut that is short on top, and long at the back; it is also a derogatory slang term for a kind of person
    * Mullet, a term used in heraldry
    * Mullet, the title of a 2001 Australian film directed by David Caesar, starring Ben Mendelsohn
    * Mullet, a town in Albania.
    * The Mullet, the isthmus of the Mullet Peninsula in the barony of Erris, County Mayo in the west of Ireland.
    * The Mullets (TV series), a UPN sitcom.
    * Mullets (Comic Strip), a comic strip.
    * The Mullets (band), a punk rock band from Kentucky.

[ul][li]Mullet page[/ul]
  • ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    AlaskanC,
    Having never lived north of I-10, I have not developed a taste for mullet(a fish.) I can't speak for the flavor because I've never had it. We use it for bait here so if it tastes good, I have thrown away a whole lot of good eating in my life trying to catch something to eat??? I did catch one in the chest at 40MPH while crossing the bay one time so If they taste good I need to extract revenge and eat a few!!

• bbqdiva
    Heya ronbeaux,[p]Well, my fish market guy, and avid fisherman says mullet is P-E-R-F-E-C-T for smoking for fish dip. But....then again, I like anchovies on pizza :P. I caked on the Old Bay Seasoning after brining and am using FSUScotsman's Fish dip recipe. I'll take pics and let ya'll k-now the results. Hey, but then again, with any bottle of wine....every taste good off the Egg :P[p]Regards,[p]thediva

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning bbqdiva:[p]May get a chance to say hello at Plant City, but it will have to be after the judging as I will be one of the judges for that event. What team will you be with?[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• AlaskanC,[p]OH MY GOD!!!!! You Yankees!!!![p]It's a fish!!!! A migratory fish. As Alton Brown would say: GOOD EATS!!!!

• bbqdiva,[p]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![p]Wine with mullet???? PUKE!!!!!!!!!!!![p]That calls for a good Sam Adams or (heaven forbid) a Bud!!!