Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Recipe?

Options
BobH
BobH Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody have a good pizza recipe? Not deep dish or too thin...Preferably Chicago style...

Comments

• EmandM'sDad
    Options
    BOBH,
    Try the naked whiz site. He has several. Are are good.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    BOBH,
    when you say chicago, are you talking something like an uno's style deep dish or is there something different. i dont really see unos to be real deep, i have a recipe for that style

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    BOBH,
    Look at Spin's recipes.
    Larry

[ul][li]Spin's Pizza[/ul]
  • BobH
    BobH Posts: 2
    Options
    fishlessman,Actually a pan pizza

• fishlessman
    Options
    2004_0214_012424.jpg
    <p />i make this one in a paella pan, i put the mozz. under the sauce similar to a deep dish, but either way it would work. this one has the crunch that unos would have. see the link for pan pizza below, i havent made this one, but it has a link at the bottom to a pizza forum
    which could better answer your questions[p]Prepare the topping while the dough is rising so it will be ready at the same time the dough is ready. Baking the pizza in a deep-dish pan on a hot pizza stone or quarry tiles will help produce a crisp, well-browned bottom crust. Otherwise, a heavy rimless cookie sheet (do not use an insulated cookie sheet) will work almost as well. If you've only got a rimmed cookie sheet, turn it upside down and bake the pizza on the flat rimless side. The amount of oil used to grease the pan may seem excessive, but in addition to preventing sticking, the oil helps the crust brown nicely. [p]Makes one 14-inch pizza, serving 4 to 6 1 medium baking potato (about 9 ounces), peeled and quartered
    1 1/2 teaspoons rapid-rise yeast
    3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    1 cup water (warm, 105 to 115 degrees)
    6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus more for oiling bowl
    1 3/4 teaspoons table salt [p]1 recipe topping (see related recipes)[p][p]1. Bring 1 quart water and potato to boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and cool until potato can be handled comfortably; press through fine disk on potato ricer or grate through large holes on box grater. Measure 1 1/3 cups lightly packed potato; discard remaining potato. [p]2. Adjust one oven rack to highest position, other rack to lowest position; heat oven to 200 degrees. Once temperature reaches 200 degrees, maintain heat 10 minutes, then turn off heat. [p]3. In bowl of standing mixer or in workbowl of food processor fitted with steel blade, mix or pulse yeast, 1/2 cup flour, and 1/2 cup warm water until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside until bubbly, about 20 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, remaining 1/2 cup water, 3 cups flour, salt, and potato. If using mixer, fit with paddle attachment and mix on low speed until dough comes together. Switch to dough hook attachment and increase speed to medium; continue kneading until dough comes together and is slightly tacky, about 5 minutes. If using food processor, process until dough comes together in a ball, about 40 seconds. Dough should be slightly sticky. Transfer dough to lightly oiled medium bowl, turn to coat with oil and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Place in warm oven until dough is soft and spongy and doubled in size, 30 to 35 minutes. [p]4. Oil bottom of 14-inch deep-dish pizza pan with remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil. Remove dough from oven; turn onto clean, dry work surface and pat into 12-inch round. Transfer round to pan, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest until dough no longer resists shaping, about 10 minutes. [p]5. Line low oven rack with unglazed baking tiles or place pizza stone or rimless cookie sheet on rack (do not use insulated cookie sheet; see note above) and heat oven to 425 degrees. Uncover dough and pull up into edges and up sides of pan to form 1-inch-high lip. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm draft-free spot until double in size, about 30 minutes. Uncover dough and prick generously with fork. Bake on preheated tiles, stone, or cookie sheet until dry and lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Add desired toppings; bake on tiles, stone, or cookie sheet until cheese melts, 10 to 15 minutes. Move pizza to top rack and bake until cheese is spotty golden brown, about 5 minutes longer. Let cool 5 minutes, then, holding pizza pan at angle with one hand, use wide spatula to slide pizza from pan to cutting board. Cut into wedges and serve. [p]2004_0214_012826.jpg[p]

[ul][li]pan pizza[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    Options
    I'm just going to second fishlessman's recommendation to visit pizzamaking.com. The have a whole subsection of their forums on Chicago-style, I'm sure with recipes.

- Ed
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Have you tried it without the spud and if so how was it different?

• fishlessman
    Options
    katman,
    ive just followed the directions as they were given to me. its very close to an unos crust which i do like every once in a while. what the potatoe does im not sure, but its a chrunchy style crust

fukahwee maine

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    fishlessman,[p] Dayum that looks so good I may consider taking insulin so I can eat it...[p] I am still looking for a good low-carb pizza dough recipe.

• Celtic Wolf,[p]"good low-carb pizza dough recipe"[p]Isn't this an oxymoron?
  • bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Options
    heya jiarby,[p]hum....wheat?[p]bbqdiva

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    jiarby,[p] Well not really, but then again that is what everyone thinks. The stereotype.. Low Carb - No Taste..[p] Ask Smitty what he thought of my Corn Bread out in Eggs by the Bay.[p] Wheat should do it. With maybe a wee bit of soy flour..
  • Celtic Wolf,[p]I'm kind of a low carb moron. I am confused when you say "wheat should do it"... isn't the flour (presumably wheat) chock full of carbs? [p]I didn't mean something couldn't taste good if it is low carb...just that a pizza crust seems like one of those things that HAS to be carbed-up to taste good. After all, it's just flour, yeast, salt, & water (oil & sugar optional) [p]My mother uses a low carb tortilla as a pizza crust when she has the craving. I tried to tell her that is actuall called a tostada... but she is in denial!

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    jiarby,[p] It's not necessarily low-carb. The better term is Low Glycemic. More complex carbohydrates affect the body slower. Enriched White Flour is High Glycemic and will affect the body's serum blood glucose level fast. Whole wheat flour is low glycemic and gets converted to glucose at a much lower rate. Corn while starchy is also low-glycemic.[p]Now that should have confused you even more :)

• Celtic Wolf,
    Have you tried "Joseph's Oat Bran and Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas" I love'em and they are low carb. Have been planning to try heating them on the Egg but haven't had a chance yet.

• Celtic Wolf,[p]Oy Vey!

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Where did you get the tip to use 1/13 cup of potato in pizza crust?Pizza dough is one of things I want to master in my life time.Crust makes the pie,sub etc.

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    jiarby,[p] HAHHA Sometimes I wonder if being Kosher would be better.[p] Being a compliant Diabetic who loves BBQ is a biotch!!