Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Columbia, South Carolina Restaurants

Hey,

Hope you can help.  Heading down to SC tonight.  Stopped off at Lexington BBQ in NC, loved it!  Anyone have suggestions to try true SC BBQ?  We are close to University of SC.

Thanks,
Howard

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    The only place I've been in Cola is Maurice's Piggy Park. Not bad, even with the mustard sauce. =) It's not NORTH Carolina Que, but it's okay. A few blocks north of the campus.

@northGAcock will know more.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Eat at Robins.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • yankeefan
    yankeefan Posts: 42
    Thanks for the help, will look into both. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited March 2018
    Maurice’s BBQ has a very racist history. His kids tried to change the restaurant’s persona once the horribly racist old man died. Personally, I won’t eat there but that’s just me. Little Pigs is popular but the facilities leave a little to be desired. Shealy’s is a decent clip out of Columbia but is one of SC’s best. Just my .02
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    yankeefan said:
    Hey,

Hope you can help.  Heading down to SC tonight.  Stopped off at Lexington BBQ in NC, loved it!  Anyone have suggestions to try true SC BBQ?  We are close to University of SC.

Thanks,
    Howard
    The Palmetto Pig.....thank me later.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Robins Southern Style BBQ is the best in Cola, especially the breakfast burritos they are the bomb!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Shealy’s in Batesburg is good. Haven’t tried Sweatman’s in Holly Hill, but I hear it’s great. I’d personally skip on Maurice’s (Piggy Park)... it’s mediocre at best IMO... they have good sauce though. Doc’s next to the stadium has good bbq and fried catfish nuggets with housemade tartar sauce. I like Doc’s more than Palmetto (@nortGAcock would disagree ;) ) Doc’s bbq tastes a little smokier, which I like.  Farm Boys out in Chapin is decent too.  Southern Belly has great bbq sandwiches, but lacks side items.  I’d also personally skip on Hudson’s bbq... not my favorite in the area. They do have decent shrimp and grits on Sunday though. If you want a good burger, try out Pawley’s Front Porch... DDD was there awhile back. If you want to hit a true local dive, try out Mack’s Cash Grocery off of Laurel. You enter in through the back door (confuses people, but that’s where the line starts. Cheap as all get out and a pretty decent griddled burger. In the mornings, most definitely get a loaded steak biscuit from Mack’s.  It comes with mayo, lettuce, cheese and tomato. Best breakfast sandwich in Columbia IMO, and very few people know about it other than the locals. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Get @northGAcock to take you to brunch on Sunday. 
  • yankeefan
    yankeefan Posts: 42
    Thanks everyone for the help. While at Waffle House this morning asked some locals. They suggested Big Boys Smokehouse BBQ. We liked it, everything had mild BBQ flavor, I would have left the ribs on for another hour. Pulled pork was tender. Pig feet, not sure how people eat them, all fat
  • northGAcock
    Get @northGAcock to take you to brunch on Sunday. 
    @northGAcock is in Greenville tonight/ tomorrow. Meeting up with child one an spouse coming from Atlanta...., and child two and GF coming from Charlotte. They have picked a good eating establishment....so the wallet will be hi hard. Always good to have the fam together. There comes a day when there is serious effort spent in getting them together. Enjoy them while you goutum.

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Crap on Maurice’s.  Go to Big T’s before that. Doc’s has a great buffet but the Q isn’t great.  Coopers in Salters, McCabes in Manning, Sweatmans in Eutawville and Scott’s in Hemingway are outstanding.  In Columbia, not many great Q places.  But, The Vista has tons of great restaurants.    Enjoy our city.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • tymaier
    tymaier Posts: 93
    The Devine Cinnamon Roll Deli!
  • DoubleEgger
    Is the Vegetable Medley still around? That place was a weekly staple for me when they were in the old NCR cafeteria. I heard they moved. 
  • Dyal_SC
    edited March 2018
    Is the Vegetable Medley still around? That place was a weekly staple for me when they were in the old NCR cafeteria. I heard they moved. 
    Yes, they’re in West Columbia off of Oak Street. Good lunch spot for sure. The name confuses people. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Dyal_SC said:
    Yes, they’re in West Columbia off of Oak Street. Good lunch spot for sure. The name confuses people. 
    Is it still as good as it was 12-15 yrs ago? It was the bomb back then. A lot of restaurants go down...
  • Dyal_SC
    edited March 2018
    Dyal_SC said:
    Is it still as good as it was 12-15 yrs ago? It was the bomb back then. A lot of restaurants go down...
    First I had it was probably about 6 or 7 years ago. They do serve some really good soul food. I usually load up on their fried chicken, collards and rutabagas.

They’re always packed every time I go there, so I highly doubt they’re going anywhere anytime soon. Saw the local news anchorman there the last time I went. 
  • northGAcock
    Dyal_SC said:
    Shealy’s in Batesburg is good. Haven’t tried Sweatman’s in Holly Hill, but I hear it’s great. I’d personally skip on Maurice’s (Piggy Park)... it’s mediocre at best IMO... they have good sauce though. Doc’s next to the stadium has good bbq and fried catfish nuggets with housemade tartar sauce. I like Doc’s more than Palmetto (@nortGAcock would disagree ;) ) Doc’s bbq tastes a little smokier, which I like.  
    Craig has lost his mind! Docs has a good buffet. It can’t hold a candle to Palmetto Pigs Que and hash though. 

I remind you all that the OP said he was in the university area. The Palmetto Pig is the best in that area.