Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked firebox and fire ring after 2 months... normal?

Options
 So I love my new bge swmbo got me for Christmas so far a game changer... that said my first cook was jan 1, I’ve ran over 100 lbs of charcoal through it mostly rockwood.
  The back of the fire ring cracked first, tonight when cleaning out I noticed a horizontal crack 2/3 of the way around the fire box.
 I know it’s under warranty and works fine cracked but is this what I can expect every 2 months? Am I doing something wrong? If it wasn’t so awesome id be upset something so new is self destructing.
South of Columbus, Ohio.

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    No, its not normal. I should be replaced under warranty without any problem.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    No rhyme or reason. Everyones mileage varies. Got to love lifetime warranty on the ceramics
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    My fire rings crack all the time. They last many years that way. Your box will need to be replaced at some point but it’s fine. My last box was in 3 pcs for 2 years before I got the motivation to warranty it. 

I know it’s new and you are thinking this is BS but that’s what the warranty is for. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I think your egg is broken in once the ring and firebox crack.  You can submit a warranty claim, and keep them in the box brand new until you actually need them (once it is too much to piece it back together when you clean it out).  Or, use them and plan on replacing them again when they crack a year from now.