Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my first steak - some success

Options
VermontEgg
VermontEgg Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
280257143_0a7b0a44b5.jpg?v=0
<p />tried to get the fire up to 700 to do the sear method. only got it up to 400 so just cooked the steak until medium well (wife likes that).[p]Came out very well for both of us.[p]figured need to put more charcoal. i did fill it up to the holes in the fire ring but should be a bit higher? tried to put in all sizes and shapes as possible.[p]put two rutland starters at the bottom above the grate. should i put them below the grate instead?[p]

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Vermontegg,
    yea i did that on my first couple of cooks also. i usually when i'm going for higher heat just fill it almost to the grate. i figured it always goes out and you can relight. much better final product HTH
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Vermontegg,
    definitely need more charcoal. . i fill it up to about halfway up the fire ring ...don't worry about wasting lump, it will all go out when you shut down the egg. . .also make sure that the opening in the firebox is lined up with the bottom vent for maximum airflow. ..also make sure you have the daisy wheel completely off the dome. .. you'll get to 700 degrees with no problem. . .

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Vermontegg,
    Looks like a good start.
    What size Egg is that?
    Been thinking about adding a small to the family.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Vermontegg,
    how'd you cook it? time/temp/method[p]keep notes. seriously. it'll help you find a way through the somewhat hazy first few cooks.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Vermontegg,[p]Max's comments about amounts of charcoal, and making sure the firebox is lined up properly are spot on...(as most of his comments are....)[p]Tell me more about how you started it....I'm not sure what you're saying about using the Rutland starters?[p]Tell me what your vent settings were (while you were allowing it to come to temp)?[p]Was the Daisey wheel on?[p]How long did you give it to acheive "tempage".... before throwing that hunk of cow on?[p]We "Brother's in the Small"...we got'a stick together!![p]Evans[p]
    Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • VermontEgg
    Options
    jake42,[p]
    Yep its the small one. I like it as it'll be fine for a small family of three. Eventually I'll add on a large one when I build the patio of my dreams :)