Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porterhouse steak

Options
Babyray
Babyray Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need to do two 2inch porterhouse steaks on large bge. How about recipe suggestions?[p]Thanks,[p]Ray

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Babyray,[p]Never done a porterhouse but I generally marinade my steaks, strips and ribeyes and TBones, in olive oil for a day or so with some salt and pepper added. Then, just before grilling put a little salt and pepper on them, I grill mine lower and slower than most here but thats my preference. I cook my steaks at about 350-375 until they're done. Just before taking them off, throw a pat of butter on the top of each steak and let it melt.[p]Good luck, them porterhouse steaks are good eats.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    sprinter, Porterhouse is a premium steak. Your method would work well with it. I tried Spins "Ghee" on NY strips last night and its winner also..Thanks to Rhum&Jerk for posting the recipe's.
    I don't know if your a mushroom fan, but I made some side mushrooms for the steaks last night and saute'ed em in peanut oil rather than butter or veggie oil. Gave em a light dusting of sea salt, and ground mix of red,white and black peppercorn, and they were the best yet. Might try "ghee" saute next time on the "mushies"
    C~W

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Funny you should mention mushrooms. Last weekend the local Kroger store had some Portabello mushrooms on sale that were WONDERFUL. They were whole and about 6 inches across, nice big ones. I mixed up a paste of olive oil, minced garlic, oregano, and some shreaded parmesan cheese. I put the paste on both sides of the 'shrooms, cooked them in the egg indirect at about 350 for 25 minutes, basting with the olive oil and they were AWESOME. We had a couple of extra that were cut up into slices and added to a nice Caesar Salad that we had prepared. Great treat and a definite keeper recipe and a real neat place to start 'sperimentin with some other 'shroom ideas.[p]I LOVE sauted mushrooms with my steaks, always do 'em either alone or with some onions added. I generally saute some shrooms, onions, minced garlic, butter, and some Worst.... sauce. Pretty good combination. Yours sounds great and I printed your post as I have a couple of 1 1/4 inch ribeyes in the oil as we speak, on the grill tomorrow evening. Thanks for the idea and I'm looking forward to trying it.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    sprinter, dang..your a 'shrooom" pro...I love that one too.
    C~W
    (shroom = mushroom, coined by NB) :-)[p]

• Big Murth
    Options
    Babyray,
    I can't remember who the contributor is, but if you go to the Recipes section of this site, you will find an incredible recipe for "Mustard Slathered Steaks" or something...which I've tried twice since becoming an Eggster this last Xmas. Each side, slather yellow (not Dijon!) all over followed by 2 parts kosher salt, 2 parts coarse ground pepper, 1 part lemon pepper...at least an hour before your cook. I did them with 1.5" rib-eyes, so you'll have to adjust accordingly for your thickness and your final preference. Guaranteed to wow 'em at your dinner party...and sooooooooooooooooo simple. I've never had a better steak in almost 48 years. Bon Apetit!! If by the time you read this, you've already committed to another way to prepare them....try this one out down the road, for sure.

• Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 53
    Options
    sprinter,[p]I try and do portabello's everytime I get a chance. I've tried different sauces and marinades but keep coming back to a roughly random mix of olive oil and balsamic vinegar (we have little store that sells nice balsamic vinegars and olive oils at pretty reasonable prices). I let the shrooms marinate for as little as 5 minutes and sometimes as long as an hour. Doesn't seem to matter always works. I do them right on the grill until done (20-30 minutes). I also use the same marinade for just about any veggie. I love little zucchini and eggplant sliced lengthwise. Sweet peppers of all colours and there's nothing like vidalia onions grilled on the BGE. These smaller veggies get special treatment in a grill wok so they don't fall in (really hate when that happens)[p]Dave