Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABout to be a Egg owner ....

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am about to purchase a Large BGE and wanted to get some input as to some things that i defenitly need to purchase with and some things i can do without. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
TRoy Brown
Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Comments

• fonchik
    fonchik Posts: 92
    Options
    ttownump,
    I would suggest a platesetter. I got one shortly after I got my egg, Lucy, and I use it all the time for low and slow and high temp pizza cooking.[p]-- Fonchik

• Thank you, will remeber that.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    ttownump,[p] If the dealer sells the dome thermometer and daisy wheel separate then buy them. You might consider getting the nest as well. Best to have your egg up to your level.[p] Grate Lifter is a good thing to have. The Egg mates are nice to have, but you can live without them.[p] As was mentioned the Platesetter and Pizza Stone.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    ttownump,
    Platesetter, ash tool is nice, the daisy wheel top if it is not included in the price, some sort of grid lifter, a grid cleaning tool (I like the billy bar style). That is about it for the esentials. A pizza stone is great but not essential unless your going to do pizzas....okay you really should cook pizzas on the Egg so add that to the essential list.[p]H

• ttownump,
    My large came with:
    The Egg itself
    Ceramic cap
    Dual Function Metal Top (Daisy wheel top)
    Temperature Gauge
    Ash Tool[p]Things you will probably want right away:
    Plate setter
    Ceramic Pizza Baking Stone --14" Diameter[p]An Egg Nest or table is nice, but you can use any sturdy stable surface to get the Egg up to a more comfortable height. Just remember that what you put it on should be fireproof. You should not set the Egg right on a wooden deck or table without a brick or ceramic platform.
    A vinyl cover is a plus if you are keeping your Egg outside. [p]You can improvise most other utensils or accumulate them later.

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Hi TRoy,
    I had a Weber Genesis with all he bells and whistles. When I got the egg I thought I was going back to a minimulist operation. Here's what I ended up with. It is imperative to have a plate setter for indirect cooking. I have a chimney for lighting the lump. From the Lawn Ranger I have the grill lifter, lump bottom probe, lump adjuster rod, and a couple of other things that are not essential. I have a pig-tail, fish spatula, V rack, circular rack, rib rack, two different drip pans for the indirect cooking and a pizza stone (not essential). I have a shed that I keep everything in and I got (at Menard's) a five gallon plastic bucket and a tool apron that fits over the bucket. I put the Lawn Ranger stuff in the bucket and in the tool pouches I put wrenchs and other stuff that I can tighten dome bolts etc. So one trip from the shed and I have most everything I need for a cook session. The next essential is a pair of leather Welders gloves for opening your dome when your temps are above 400. You will forget to burp it one time when you are doing steaks. You may want to get a vacumn sealer. I have the kind that has the attachment that seals mason jars, so it great for both sauces and rubs. It also allows you to buy meats at places like Sam's and save some real money. Or for that matter taking advantage of sales. Anyhow the main thing is the plate setter. Drip pans and racks, look for at the Dollar Stores.
    Good Luck
    billyg
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    ttownump,
    Without question a remote temp gauge.Polder makes a good one and not high in cost.A Mapp torch for starting your lump.

• egghead
    egghead Posts: 31
    Options
    ttownump,
    I think a grill extender to raise the grill further above the fire is essential. It allows you to cook direct will less chance of burning or flare-up. Also, it can give you an extra layer of grill space, if needed. Another good thing is that this is not an expensive option.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    darnoc,
    A polder is good. I've got little ones that like to cart of daddy's grill stuff so I've been opting for the Walmart or Target options. Less than 15 dollars for a Polder clone.

• want to say thanks to, Celtic, dhuffjr, Michael, billyg, darnoc, and Egg Head ( hope I didnt leave anyone out, thank you all for your suggestions, i have really enjoyed this forum and i am sure you willbe hearing plenty more from me in the near future.
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    ttownump,[p]Mine came with the standard stuff, the egg nest and side tables and since then I've bought:[p]Plate setter
    Pizza stone
    Raised grate
    Grate lifter
    Quick read thermometer
    MAPP torch[p]I've also made and raised grid out of a Weber grid and stainless parts[p]My next purchase is a Maverick thermometer.[p]

• TulsaMurph
    Options
    Like everyone else said, a platesetter is a must for indirect cooking, the daisy top, an ash tool of some kind and a grid gripper are pretty much essential, too.

I use my rib rack quite a bit, not as much for ribs as for pork butts. I like a MAPP gas instant lighting torch for starting the lump, but that is not necessary, just nice. Once you have the basics, you can add other stuff as you go, and Christmas is right around the corner. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to get really great results without all that much equipment.

Enjoy!
    John