Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Driving Ms. Mini

Options
Essex County
Essex County Posts: 991
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've done a number of cooks on the mini and never got it over 450. I figured that was what it was capable of. Well last night, I cleaned it out (there's not much room for ash) and added lump a little over the fire ring. I had a 1.5lb sirloin hot tubbed and ready. About 20 minutes after lighting, I was at 750. I seared the sirloin for about 2 and a half minutes per side. That was all it needed. Just south of medium rare with a beautiful charcoal crust. [p]The moral of the story? The large can go weeks without being cleaned out but the littler eggs need to be cleaned out about every other cook. And the mini is indeed a fantastic searing machine!

Comments

• locolongball
    locolongball Posts: 414
    Options
    I like the Jamican Fire Walk, Raging River, Dizzy Dust, or Tusumi Spin on our pork chops... Cook them quick and don't over cook... I pull mine at 145. I would cook them like a steak.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Essex County,
    You are so right my friend....Not long ago I was in the mood for some flame broiled burgers...got the large up to 350° and got the mini up to 600°....put the burgers on the mini for 2 mins per side then stuck em on the large while I continued broiling on the mini....after roughly 10 minutes on the large I added cheese and let it melt...they were awesome. A little extra work for a burger but the results were worth it.[p]Wess[p]

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Essex County,[p]I've had my Mini for about 5 years now I think and I've never burned anything but Wicked Good lump. First the Competition blend (which I still have a nice stash of) and now the Weekend Warrior. They both are low ash producers and the my Mini has no problem getting to 800º in fact, I have to watch very closely because the controls are touchy and if I don't pay attention it runs right past 450º.[p]You North of Boston?
  • TheHulk
    TheHulk Posts: 157
    Options
    Essex County,[p]I brought back a mini from this past weekend. Always been hesitant of getting one because of its size but so far have loved it.

• Essex County
    Options
    Sundown,
    Yep, I'm in Andover. We're about 5 miles south of NH.
    Paul

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Essex County,
    Trying to get a few people together for a potential New England or MAssachusetts Fest sometime in the future. IN the meantime I hope to get my local dealer to do some really local get togethers and maybe cook on Saturdays at his store when he has a lot of "civilian" traffic.

• Essex County
    Options
    Sundown,
    Great idea. There are a number of Mass eggers up north including stike, fishlessman, and Flashback Bob. There are also a few in NH and Maine. (Sorry to those I left out but you should chime in!)
    Paul

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Essex County,
    I use my mini for searing also, works well in concert with the large. With the slider on top and draft door fully open my mini gets hot enough. I get a jump start using a charcoal chimney for a good bed of burning lump. Yeah, I clean the mini after each use. I'm still thinking of a new indirect setup for my mini so I can do more slow cooking on it. Once, I cooked a small butt on the mini, had to clean out ash and reload with lump to keep the fire going and that was my only setback. The little guy will be working tonight on butternut squash. A nice lamb shoulder will be roasting on the large. Eggs in harmony.
    Clay

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Sundown,
    a newegglander fest would be great. get a brewery to throw up a tent and you would get a crowd. i think there is plenty of people in conn, ny, maine vermont new hampshire mass that would be interested. get the stump to go and they would come from further away. im up in methuen

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Essex County,
    only problem is new englanders are notoriously grumpand keep to themselves.[p]lookit fishless![p]i might go, but i'd wander around with no nametag and just mess with people.
    "what's THAT green thing?"

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    Options
    stike,
    might be a little quiet at the beginning, put me in charge of the kegs and things will pick up, if i can just remember how to tap one of those things. maybe i could make a barrel or two of punch, that might help. making a punch fountain out of an XL egg would be nice.

fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    fishlessman,
    punch fountain?
    you are a real homemaker, eh?[p]you get any of that dry-aged stuff?

• fishlessman
    Options
    stike,
    thinking of picking some up tomorrow, do you cook that stuff to the same internals as you normally would or a little higher

fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    fishlessman,
    do it to the same temps...