Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tactical error

uncbbq
uncbbq Posts: 165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm working my way out of the doghouse for a major tactical error this morning. I bought a used plate setter at the Eggfest, and it was really pretty gummed up with something. I thought I'd clean it in the self-cleaning oven. I scraped all the chunks off with a putty knife and fired it up. No smoke damage, but the entire house got smoke smell pretty bad. Very acrid and irritating to the nose. So "save yourselves" and clean your cruddy setter in the egg. Or better yet, use a drip pan!
.............But my plate setter is clean. I can only imagine what that smoke would have done to whatever I was cooking. Sweet apple it was not.[p]BTW, I had a great time at the Eggfest, my first. Got to talk to several familiar handles, but really was a lurker there, too, to my regret. Next year I'll do better--may even cook. Thanks to all of you who cooked, and the the BGE staff for an incredible job. And to the Prices (priceless), who cooked on the large I bought and left it very tidy.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    uncbbq,
    doood... yer egg is the best self cleaning oven ever.[p]spark it off to 500 or so and throw it in. your electric self-cleans are 500 i think, essentially.[p]cheaper in the egg too.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • uncbbq,[p]LOL!!!!! I bet Mrs. uncbbq is going to get her pound of flesh some how or another!!!!

• stike,
    Self cleaning ovens run at 880 degrees. That is why they have a door locking mechanism.

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    FSUScotsman,
    What's this "going to" stuff?

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Morro Bay Rich,[p]I cleaned my egg yesterday....I cooked some chick legs and when I was done I opened the bottom vent all the way and took off the daisy wheel.....I just walked away and came back 5 hours later and the egg, grills, plate setter were all clean!!!..[p]And it doessn't even have a locking lid!
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    105437291-L.jpg
    <p />icemncmth,

• ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    uncbbq,
    you mentioned buying a used platesetter at the fest... i did not realize they were selling those pieces used also, I'd have liked to have gotten an extra pizza stone and a 2nd plate setter for my other large- do you recall the prices? I may try and call tomorrow to see if they have others for sale that were used at the Fest.

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Morro Bay Rich,
    thought that was cuzza the fires that sometimes occur?[p]i'm sure you are right. [p]was just suggesting the egg would be fine on it's own. leaving an egg going at 600 or so always (well, twice) worked for me and never toasted the gasket.... [p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ChuckGGa, I used a brand new loaner PlateSetter for the Fest, & when I turned it in, they asked me if I wanted to buy it for $18....which I did....can always use an extra. I looked pretty silly hauling it back to Texas on the airline, several people asked me what it was, incl the security folks, but no problems.

• ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    SkyRider,
    I did not realize they were selling those items they "loaned out". I just called the store to see if they had any left... the only things left are a few complete eggs, no more platesetters, pizza stones, etc. [p]Platesetter new - retail - $39.95...
    the day of the fest, they were selling the ones used that day for $18 - what a deal. I had no idea... missed the boat on those.

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.