Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advocate of keeping membrane on ribs......

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
for the most part of the 3 yrs I have been smoking I always have read it's better to keep the meembrane off. Other than Famous Dave's book (who burns off the membrane at the end of the cook) the link mentions to keep moisture in keep the membrane on.[p]What do ya think?[p]Howard
[ul][li]http://www.metrotimes.com//editorial/story.asp?id=9785[/ul]

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Howard,
    Most of the barbecue books that I have read tell you to remove membrane.It allows better penatration of the rub and or sauce.Most of the eggors will foil the ribs with some kind of liqiuid,close the foil pack and cook for one hour.This step alone will keep the ribs moist and tender.LOL.

• Howard,
    I met Billy at an art fair here in town and asked him the same question, he said no need and when you do as many as I do, no time. All I know is my wife said they were the best ribs she had ever had.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Howard,[p] Every competitor I have met has removed them. I remove them and until I did I could never get them quite tender enough.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Howard,[p]Mr. Bones definitely knows his stuff, and I'd be happy to try anything he makes. However, I will have to say that I never had tender ribs until I started pulling the membrane. I'll try an end burn sometime, but I'll probably end really burning them, and not just singeing off the membrane.[p]gdenby

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    That's real interesting. I wonder whether he does them with the meat down or bone down.