Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip cut into steaks?

Options
I know this forum loves their tri tip. Its hard to come by here in the midwest, so anytime I see one I snatch it up. My local grocery store has a whole bunch of tri tip cut into steaks.  It hasn't been moving and I expect to see it on sale soon, but I have no idea what I would do with it?
What do you guys think?
Kansas City, Kansas
Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain

Comments

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by cut into steaks. A tri-tip is a steak in itself, usually 1.5 to 2.5 lbs. Best sliced  and served family style. This would be a typical tri-tip.

Image result for tri tip images
  • tenpenny_05
    Options
    They cut them in thick slices, so they look more like mini sirloins instead of what we all know is a tri tip.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Cut with the grain I'd assume, like a tenderloin? I'm interested to see what others suggest. Post a pic when you buy.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'd just cook them like steaks.
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    i get them sometimes, have some for this weekend.  prefer a whole tritip as its easier to find and adjust the cut as it turns thru the thicker end. the steaks are always a little tougher because they dont adjust according to the grain pattern. i can get the steaks cheaper than the whole because one comes from a supermarket and the other from a more upscale butcher. the size is all over the place with the steaks, you really need to stay on them with the thermapen
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by cut into steaks. A tri-tip is a steak in itself, usually 1.5 to 2.5 lbs. Best sliced  and served family style. This would be a typical tri-tip.

Image result for tri tip images
    supermarkets here will chunk that into 6 plus minus pieces for sale, its a sin but it is what it is
    fukahwee maine

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would pass personally. 
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    I actually like them a lot for eating. The entire roast is awesome for presentation. But eating, you get more crust, more rub on the cut up pieces. I always sous vide tri tips or the steaks and sear after. 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Maybe cube, marinate with some acid for tenderization, make kebabs.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Maybe cube, marinate with some acid for tenderization, make kebabs.
    good for kabobs, good on pho if sliced thin. if its a little tough, roll it 90 degrees and slice it that way
    fukahwee maine

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I know this forum loves their tri tip. Its hard to come by here in the midwest, so anytime I see one I snatch it up. My local grocery store has a whole bunch of tri tip cut into steaks.  It hasn't been moving and I expect to see it on sale soon, but I have no idea what I would do with it?
    What do you guys think?
    Cut into steaks - Blasphemy!
    Grocery stores here in CA have the steaks all the time, but you can't beat the whole (untrimmed) cooked MR and sliced across the grain appropriately

As @fishlessman said kabobs would be good for them.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Tri tips are always available and regularly on sale here in SoCal.  I always have one in the freezer. IMHO  Tri tips are flavorful but far from tender. The steaks are regularly available also but I've never bought any because I don't know how you'd cook them without getting shoe leather. SV I guess. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Buy a couple of them and decide for yourself. It’s not like you’re buying A-5. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    if someone could explain to me why a 1.5 pound tritip is about 25 bucks and a tritip cut is 6.99 a pound here.....
    fukahwee maine

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    logchief said:
    SoCalTim said:
    What do you guys think?
    Cut into steaks - Blasphemy!
    Grocery stores here in CA have the steaks all the time, but you can't beat the whole (untrimmed) cooked MR and sliced across the grain appropriately

As @fishlessman said kabobs would be good for them.
    blas·phe·my
    ˈblasfəmē/
    noun
    1. the act or offense of speaking sacrilegiously about BBQ or sacred things; profane talk.
      "he was detained on charges of blasphemy"
      synonyms:profanity, sacrilege, irreligion, irreverence, taking tri tip's name in vain, swearing, curse, cursing, impiety, desecration; 
      archaicexecration
      "the pitmaster would punish me at least three times a week for my blasphemy"
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • logchief
    Options
    if someone could explain to me why a 1.5 pound tritip is about 25 bucks and a tritip cut is 6.99 a pound here.....
    You're getting screwed, I'm assuming in Maine.  Choice untrimmed you can get on sale sometimes for under $3 p/lb. around here.  I would never pay anymore than $4.50.  All the grocery stores use them as loss leaders especially around the summer holidays.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I never even see tritip here. Always wondered why it's apparently a left coast thing.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• logchief
    Options
    I never even see tritip here. Always wondered why it's apparently a left coast thing.
    Yup and we play hell getting good brisket in CA.  During the winter Costco has prime brisket, but never in the spring or summer
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Buy a couple of them and decide for yourself. It’s not like you’re buying A-5. 
    Hahahahaha so true
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

$5.99 at costco.  Usually sold in a two pack, and always available.  You guys on the right hand side get screwed on this it seems.  No doubt you make up for it with the seafood though.

TT is in my top three favorites to cook.
    Phoenix 
  • baychilla
    Options
    Nobody expects the Spanish Inquistion

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-raichlen/6-things-you-need-to-know_b_5568643.html

Near San Francisco in California
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I've been buying the sliced tri tip  at SAMs Club for about a year now.  I prefer the whole steak, but the smaller pieces work well for 2 people.  Here's my earlier thread:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1210017/tri-tip-steaks-from-sams-club#latest

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • tenpenny_05
    Options
    I went back and they were gone, probably for the best.  There is one store that has the whole tri tip about every 3rd time I go in. I'll have to check that out on my way home.
    Thanks for the insight guys!
    Kansas City, Kansas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    FWIW I tried these once and I thought they were pretty good. It was a one time thing at my local grocery store and I haven't seen them since. I think I still prefer the whole cut but the little steaks were pretty tasty as well. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
    I've been buying the sliced tri tip  at SAMs Club for about a year now.  I prefer the whole steak, but the smaller pieces work well for 2 people.  Here's my earlier thread:

If you ask they will just give you the whole tri tip. I just ask one of the cutters. 
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Cut it across the grain otherwise it will be a pretty tough chew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmxHmuV4vTU
    XL BGE
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    CoMoBGE said:
    Hawg Fan said:

If you ask they will just give you the whole tri tip. I just ask one of the cutters. 
    Thanks for the tip @CoMoBGE

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    Love Tri-Tip.  Cooking this as I type.....

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    My best friend insist tri tip steaks are better, I think because they are easier for him. His bbq skills start and end with the hot dog! 

He buys them already marinated, and I must admit they are pretty good. 

But I will still take the whole cut any day! The steaks are easy to over cook if your not paying attention, with the whole cut, I cook the center to 130 and the meat on the ends will usually appease those who want heir meat more well done, and I can still enjoy my meat medium rare. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"