Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drying Peppers

Options
Why1504
Why1504 Posts: 277
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have made chipoltes on my BGE before. They turned out great. The wife and I were considering drying some cyaenne, scotch bonnet, and senarro peppers. Has anyone has done this before? Do I use smoke as I did with the jalapinos when I turned them into chipoltes? BTW when I did the chipoltes I smoked the peppers for 30 hours at 160 degrees (BBQ Guru). We use the chipoltes when ever we make Tex-Mex, chilli, etc. they provide great smokieness and heat.

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Why1504,
    I hope you will find an answer on the forum.I usually hang mine needle and thread style several weeks to get the job done.If the Egg can make short work of the process,I am all ears.

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    IMGP0027.JPG?dc=4675571588182069348
    <p />Why1504, I learned everything I know about smoking peppers from HolySmokes. Hopefully he'll chime in. I have smoked habaneros and then finished them in a dehydrator with great results. I used some in my chili tonight. [p]HolySmokes smoked some pretty hot habaneros and then ground them up and they are great. [p]I think smoke and peppers are a great combination for much more than chipotles. However, making dried peppers from fresh peppers in a dehaydrator is a treat that you still can't buy in many places. I have been growing, dehydrating and grinding my own cayennes for years before I had an Egg. The flavor is great and the heat varies quite a bit. [p]Have fun, Scott

• EGGOMANIAC
    Options
    Scotty's Inferno,[p]Great peppers. Check into doing red savinas or chocolate habs. I made a smokey habanero hot sauce that I'll be bringing next year. [p]

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    Eggomaniac,[p]Well, that is where I am headed. Based on the comments of my wife and myself both my college kids (21 and 18) want to come to Eggfest next year. I also have 2 friends who wants to come. If we end up with this many at Eggfest we will do some different kinds of cooks. I was thinking of doing one series of dishes using differenet peppers that I dry. Assuming my friends come one will do wings and some other stuff. My kids, well I am not sure, they both are good cooks and like to cook on the egg. After our great time this weekend we want to bring our menu to the next level. We loved being at the hotel and meeting new friends.