Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Off topic Starbucks sous vide egg bite

i know this is off topic but I tried those sous vide egg bites yesterday and loved them!! And they are healthy.i know many of you have a sous vide,has anyone tried to make them at home? I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on one.

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932

I see a lot of people do them on SV facebook groups.  I've been meaning to try it myself.

Post pics of your results

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Thanks for posting.  I had not heard of them before.  I'll be making a batch in the near future to have for breakfast.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    I made them. Sorry, no pictures, but I can tell you about it...

Used this site for the recipe. Made the bacon and gruyere version. My daughter and I had both had the Starbucks version and liked them. Liked this hack of them just as well. Made them in the little canning jelly jars. Made 10 as I recall. Put them in the fridge and ate them for breakfast all week. Popped them out of the jar and onto a plate, then into the microwave to reheat. 

Plan to try other versions but haven't had a chance yet.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • johnnyp said:

I see a lot of people do them on SV facebook groups.  I've been meaning to try it myself.

Post pics of your results

Will do,I’m looking at sous vide machines now online. 
  • What’s funny is that the approach is quite similar to the SV chocolate pots.  Use of mason jars, eggs, even the time and temperature. 

Instead of chocolate, you’re mixing in cheese and bacon or whatever else.  The pics at the Anova site look great.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2018
    TheyEggMcMic said:
    I made them. Sorry, no pictures, but I can tell you about it...

Used this site for the recipe. Made the bacon and gruyere version. My daughter and I had both had the Starbucks version and liked them. Liked this hack of them just as well. Made them in the little canning jelly jars. Made 10 as I recall. Put them in the fridge and ate them for breakfast all week. Popped them out of the jar and onto a plate, then into the microwave to reheat. 

Plan to try other versions but haven't had a chance yet.
    You had me at bacon and gruyere.
    So many options here.
    Thanks for the link.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• What’s funny is that the approach is quite similar to the SV chocolate pots.  Use of mason jars, eggs, even the time and temperature. 

Instead of chocolate, you’re mixing in cheese and bacon or whatever else.  The pics at the Anova site look great.

I did some searches,I think I’m gonna go with the anova.
  • If anyone has an electric pressure cooker, they seem to be all the rage with that group too.  
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • Chris8938 said:
    If anyone has an electric pressure cooker, they seem to be all the rage with that group too.  
    I see they are doing the same thing with instant pots
  • @Captainjimpark - You will not be sorry going with the Anova.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Not going to lie, I’m very partial to the ChefSteps Joule. Waterproof, small form factor, stable temperature control - it’s a winning combination. Admittedly a little more expensive than the Anova option though, if that’s a factor
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Not going to lie, I’m very partial to the ChefSteps Joule. Waterproof, small form factor, stable temperature control - it’s a winning combination. Admittedly a little more expensive than the Anova option though, if that’s a factor
    Ya I was reading up on those also,I’m gonna sleep on it
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Not going to lie, I’m very partial to the ChefSteps Joule. Waterproof, small form factor, stable temperature control - it’s a winning combination. Admittedly a little more expensive than the Anova option though, if that’s a factor
    Both the Joule and Anova are popular and quality products.  Either will do well.  I decided on the Anova because it can be operated without the need of a smartphone app.  I can't remember the last time I started a sous vide cook by using the smartphone app.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• @Captainjimpark - You will not be sorry going with the Anova.
    Am actually picking the wifi version up today.......can’t wait to try it.
    have had the egg bites from starbucks love them....,!
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • Cmyachtie said:
    @Captainjimpark - You will not be sorry going with the Anova.
    Am actually picking the wifi version up today.......can’t wait to try it.
    have had the egg bites from starbucks love them....,!
    I just ordered the wi-fi version, couldent find one locally.if you try making egg bites please post the cook.
  • Woody
    Woody Posts: 125
    Great idea, have been hearing about these Starbucks egg bites for a while and been wanting to try them.  This was a great primer.

Have a Joule and love it.  The smart phone app is one of the greatest things.  When I want to do a steak properly, I start up the app, choose the color I want the meat to turn out to, tell it how thick the steaks are and fresh or frozen, turns out great everytime. 

Have been suffering with a cable outage for a week now, so no internet/wi-fi.  No problem,  fire up the app using bluetooth and Joule is good to go.

As stated, the Anova seems to be a great option as well.
    Woody in Northville, MI
    Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Will have to give these a go.
    Thanks for the link.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • making these this afternoon. I'll post it when I'm done. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I have the lil lady picking up jars right now! This is happening today. What recipe do y’all find the best?
  • making these this afternoon. I'll post it when I'm done. 
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker looking forward to your post.
  • I have the lil lady picking up jars right now! This is happening today. What recipe do y’all find the best?
    I sure liked the egg white red pepper feta cheese ones at Starbucks   But have not made my own
  • I'm doing a smoked ham, Gruyere, and jalapeno and a smoked ham, Gruyere and chive to start. I have a ton a bacon but we are eating a little leaner these days and I think smoked ham will stand up well in there. I'm going to add the Gruyere after the bath and torch it to get some color on it. 
  • Gravytrain84
    Gravytrain84 Posts: 322
    edited February 2018
    I’m doing a simple eggs, heavy cream,spinach, bacon, & cheese right now. 
  • I’m doing a simple eggs, heavy cream,spinach, bacon, & cheese right now. 
    Wow!! Looking great
  • Finished product! 

I did 12 eggs and 1 cup of heavy cream. Next time I’ll do 1/2 cup of cream. They’re really good but a little too rich 

• Those look awesome,did they come out of the jars easily?
  • I passed a knife around the edge and pulled it right now. Will spray oil in them next time thought. 

• Test run in. Egg, cream cheese, Gruyere, smoked ham
  • I can’t wait to get my sous vide

• Good not great. The anova recipe is too hot (171f). The eggs are set up too firm. Like an omelette in a cup. Nothing you couldn’t get on a stovetop in 3 minutes. All the meat sinks to the bottom too so unless you are getting some crazy creamy SV texture this is not worth the effort. 

Im going to try another batch at a lower temp and see what I come up with.