Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5 Briskets 6 Butts Fund Raiser Cook

Options
2»

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    So the feed back was great.
    Half said the brisket was best and the half liked the pork!
    They sold out this morning I was told.
    So all went great on Friday afternoon and this morning.
    They also sold baked potatoes naked for $2 or loaded with protein for $5.
    Looks like over $2k was raised.
    And a few asked to have an event catered.
    Not my thing but nice to know they enjoyed the brisket and butt.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Fantastic! What a great feeling 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Hotch @Thatgrimguy I’m going to reveal my ignorance with a question. How is the warming oven really much different from the cook chamber? From what I see they don’t receive the same amount of smoke, but there is usually some because it has to vent. Can it be held at warming temps while the main chamber is at cook temps? In general, can the warming oven be operated at a significantly different temerate than the cook chamber? Either higher or lower?
    Given the way you did this cook - cooking one day and reheating the next - could you have reheated in the main chamber just as well? If everything was wrapped there wouldn’t be additional smoke. I’m just trying to see how all this operates in practice. If I ever make the plunge into a stick burner I want to be informed. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I treat my warming oven as a super flexible extra smoker. It can run as low as 175 when I have my main chamber at 275ish. Or it can run like 350 with my main chamber at 275. I use it as a grill, a warmer, a smoker, a cold smoker, a wood drying box, a storage unit. It's the most versatile part of the grill. I'm not so sure it has any less or more smoke than the main unit though. And it can be tricky to get them temp right (probably becuase I've used it way less as a smoker than the main chamber though)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy So it sounds like you would recommend one when buying a smoker? In the back of my mind I’m thinking about a vertical offset or cabinet offset from Lone Star Grillz. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Hotch
    edited February 2018
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @Hotch @Thatgrimguy I’m going to reveal my ignorance with a question. How is the warming oven really much different from the cook chamber? From what I see they don’t receive the same amount of smoke, but there is usually some because it has to vent. Can it be held at warming temps while the main chamber is at cook temps? In general, can the warming oven be operated at a significantly different temerate than the cook chamber? Either higher or lower?
    Given the way you did this cook - cooking one day and reheating the next - could you have reheated in the main chamber just as well? If everything was wrapped there wouldn’t be additional smoke. I’m just trying to see how all this operates in practice. If I ever make the plunge into a stick burner I want to be informed. 
    @SciAggie First off I am by no means an expert on stick burners, this is all new schooling for me! I'm point on with Eggs!!

My cook had 11 pieces of protein that required rack  space in both the warmer and Main Chamber. I ran the warmer during the cook at 325+ while running the MC at 275+.

If the fire is at a stable temp then each cook chamber is controllable by changing the heat/smoke flow with both the stack vents and chamber baffles.
    One baffle allows for flow between the MC and the warmer. The second baffle  controls the heat/smoke between the fire box and the warmer. Then you can adjust the stack vents of each chamber to increase or decrease what I call the heat pressure and not restrict air flow on your fire, along with varying the baffle openings. It may sound complicated but not really. On my Shirley I can see 5-10 degree temp changes with small baffle adjustments when cooking in both chambers.
    As far as the warming of the pans the next morning, I had 4 full size pans to get to 165 ASAP. The main would hold 3 on the racks. I tried to stack one but felt it would not work and disrupt or block the heat flow. So I took the one pan that was only 1/3 full and put it in the warmer with that baffle partially open at a temp equal to the main chamber around 265-275. Once the center of that   pan hit a temp of 155, I closed that baffle and then used the warmer pin wheel to draw in a bit of fresh air to maintain the temp. Warmer temp was then kept to around 175. As the other 3 pans in the main chamber came up to a temp of 155, I moved them to the warmer. All the pans finished at 165+. With the HS just a mile or so away we loaded them up and put them in the concession stand warming cabinet. Set it to around 165 and humidity at 60% and went home. The tournament would start in about 2-3 hours.
    If you like, come out to the BBQ Brethren Bash next Fall at Belton Lake and you can be the pit master on my Shirley!! Any questions send me a PM =)

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Thank you for the response. The information is greatly appreciated. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I think that counts as a win then :) Strong work!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Awesome stuff, I have considered doing such an event for my children’s school fundraising events.
  • Hotch
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    Awesome stuff, I have considered doing such an event for my children’s school fundraising events.
    Thanks, it was a fair amount of work and well worth it! =)
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
     Great job Hotch! Looks like a lot of work but well worth it for that end result and nice to get feedback like that.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA